Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

This gets my vote, so +1 from me too.

I've played a good few classic FPS games like this, either through mods or Vorpx, seated with standard M&K controls and just free head look. So something similar for EDO would be great. To be honest that's all I've been wanting from the get go with this, as essentially that's mostly what we've got with ED at the moment anyway. Yes you need good VR legs for playing like this, but then quite a few other activities in ED in VR require good VR legs anyway. And by VR legs, I do of course mean that you have overcome your nausea issues with the movement. Just thought I'd clarify that, in case any non VR types get confused by what I meant.

Frontier have said that they didn't want to implement VR in EDO until they could be sure of doing something that's properly implemented. But I've always argued right from the start of this, that the VR implementation in ED as it stands is pretty basic and is far from being a fully fledged VR implementation. In fact it still has a lot of unaddressed bugs and problems as is. My keyboard and mouse still gets a lot of use during my ED VR sessions, by necessity. So I expect a similarly basic implementation in EDO, would probably be quite acceptable for the vast majority of current ED VR users.

I do understand where their reluctance to do something like this comes from though, as they would probably not want to or feel they would be able to then market it as having VR support, as new VR users might end up buying the game expecting a fully fledged VR experience. Would they feel comfortable having EDO on the Oculus Store for instance?
I've a feeling Vorpx are going to be selling a few copies of their software if FDev don't include a VR switch hidden in an XML file

I completely support this suggestion. If there is anyone who can do VR legs right, it's Frontier! Can't wait to see what they come up with!

I've a feeling Vorpx are going to be selling a few copies of their software if FDev don't include a VR switch hidden in an XML file

True, but it really is the last resort. It would be a great shame if that were the only way to cajole a very basic VR view out of the game, given the stereoscopic render is supported natively.(Which would offer a far superior experience. Comparatively speaking ;)).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Vorpx is most definitely a last resort

I used to use Tridef to coax 3D games out of flatovision ones, but I've never used Vorpx for VR. Is it easy to use?

I used to use Tridef to coax 3D games out of flatovision ones, but I've never used Vorpx for VR. Is it easy to use?

I've never tried it - £34 is a big ask for something with a bad rep. (And there are a ton of games with hacky native support that I still haven't got to yet ;))

My understanding is that it's basically a tool kit that you often have to apply yourself, with most people relying on defaults that the creator has made for certain games. If no default is made for ED it wouldn't be much different from playing on a large curved 2D big screen. (Some guys seem to find that immersive enough for playing AAA games, but it ain't really VR. No real 3D stereoscopics, no real headlook etc).

Last edited:
But yeah, my understanding is the result would likely be that the VR view would be tied to the camera norms of the flatscreen game. IE our VR view would turn with the aiming reticule. (Whether steered by mouse of controller stick).
I can understand the reasons for asking for that but it really is vomit city for me personally. I doubt moving via headlook and aiming via controllers would actually be an advantage anyway, or at least no more of an advantage than VR already is in-ship.

You might want to temper that with a bit of this which might be creeping in: https://www.pcgamesn.com/everspace-2/early-access

The other was the first game’s somewhat hinky VR support. The solution? Drop VR support entirely.

That might sound like a bit of a nuclear option, but for Rockfish, maintaining its vision is essential, even if that means some players get left behind. “If you are a VR fanatic, and you want to have a 100% VR experience, then we can understand that,” Schade says, “but this is not the kind of game we’re making.”

According to Rockfish’s own fan surveys, only 4% of players are looking for VR, but that VR audience is “very hard to please,” Schade tells us. “You always have people who complain about stuff that doesn’t work right out of the box. We’d rather not do it, and instead focus on the stuff the vast majority of players enjoy.”

I don't have a horse in this race, if its possible then go for it- but it may be FD came to the same conclusions Rockfish did and that its too much trouble.

I can understand the reasons for asking for that but it really is vomit city for me personally. I doubt moving via headlook and aiming via controllers would actually be an advantage anyway, or at least no more of an advantage than VR already is in-ship.

I'm not asking for it, so much as acknowledging that there is a near-zero dev budget for VR in the short term.

Headlook aiming is dev. Motion controllers quadruply so. I'm just assuming they're not on the cards.

So the pitch is: Let us see what the current EDO build is like, viewed via the stereoscopic VR render. On the grounds that it could be near-zero dev to achieve. And could provide some gaming or experiential succour ;)

Might free headlook actually function due to the current native support? (Just with the classic 'gun face' downside of the gun arm being attached to your 'face'). It's possible. Would the VR view just be locked entirely to the control inputs? It's possible. Would either option be sub-standard VR, slightly unpleasant to use, and require the player to have their 'VR legs' in terms of nausea? For sure ;)

But like I say, if you could take in a mountain range from the peak, or appreciate an NPC mission giver's dialogue animations, or just poke around an abandoned settlement listening to the creepy sounds, with the world having VR depth. Would that be worth it? As a bridging experience, until a dev budget is dedicated to VR? I'd say yes :)

You might want to temper that with a bit of this which might be creeping in: https://www.pcgamesn.com/everspace-2/early-access

I don't have a horse in this race, if its possible then go for it- but it may be FD came to the same conclusions Rockfish did and that its too much trouble.

I think we're already there, in a sense. FDev have decided that the core 2D game comes first, for now. (Which makes perfect sense, and I'm fine with it). It's a 2D-first game, ultimately, and EDO is too big a step-change to mess up. They've gotta nail the landing and open up that new audience. And any VR that comes will essentially be a 'port'.

I think the distinction from Everspace is that VR was always a novelty for it, with its primarily 3rd-person view, and arcadey stylings. It never had the dedicated 'pilot in the cockpit' audience that ED has. They see 4% fanbase interest. I'd be interested to know what FDev stats are on VR usage amongst the active base. (Certainly the reddit poll finding approx a third of regulars owned a headset was interesting ;). And we know HMD ownership is high amongst flight sim fans generally.).

I think ED's situation may be distinct from Everspace's. But the future of EDVR is certainly up in the air right now :/

Something that occurred to me earlier but haven’t seen mentioned - the camera suite.

I’ve already being taking pseudoEVAs since I’ve had VR with the camera suite using the slightly janky FPS-style controls on a gamepad (I say janky because there’s no auto-levelling or correct player height on surfaces).

It’s going to be a bit strange if I’ll be able to have fullVR pretend walks from landed ships or the SRV in Odyssey but be forced into flatscreen if I want to play proper legs.

I don’t recall if the camera suite has been confirmed to work in EDO, but at least it gives me a bit of hope that I might still experience the new vistas in full-fat VR - even if it’s just a stand+stare moment while out exploring.

Hello lovely devs!

This suggestion is based on some major assumptions, but it would be great if it were possible.

Initial Assumptions:
  • That the native VR support used for ships & SRVs in EDO functions in Legs mode.
  • That the 2D screen mode for Legs can be set to toggle on or off.

Suggestion:

Allow players to set the 2D projected screen to 'off' by altering an option file. (In the same way that players can alter their HUD colours by editing the existing XML file, for example.)

Advantages of this approach:
  • It could allow very basic VR access to EDO Legs, prior to full official support.
  • Only the most dedicated EDVR players would learn of it and want to try it.
  • It's a very clear 'opt in' process, where you can't do it by mistake
  • It wouldn't be an officially launched or marketed function.
  • It would hopefully require a low level of dev work & support at this stage.

Caveats:

I'm sure there are a ton of other considerations which might conflict with this idea (technical stability, impacts on non-VR players) and so make it a non-starter.

And the experience for the VR player would clearly be very rough, even if it were to prove even partially functional. (It would only work for those with their 'VR legs', would doubtless have real issues with UI, and would be unlikely to facilitate full EDO gameplay by any means).

Reasons to do it:

If this system allowed those of us with our 'VR legs' to take in the scale of our ships from the outside, or appreciate a station NPC 'in the round', or even do some basic exploration using classic controls, this would be a massive boon for the veteran EDVR community. The current pause in access to EDVR content is an unusual circumstance. This unusual approach could perhaps act as a temporary bridge to fuller, official support.

---

(PS, if you're considering some no-HUD options for EDO gameplay, that could also be helpful ;))
Approved 👨‍⚖️

I don’t recall if the camera suite has been confirmed to work in EDO, but at least it gives me a bit of hope that I might still experience the new vistas in full-fat VR - even if it’s just a stand+stare moment while out exploring.

Yeah my guess is that'll all work the same as with ED core.

It won't allow any foraging inside the social spaces (aside from the hangar), or delves into abandoned settlements, or chance meetings with NPCs, or what have you. But could be good for taking in a dust-blown hill-top view under the blue at least ;)

Cheers Mr T

(PS plz like the main post for full community dazzle and impact, if you fancy ;))

Ah, I’d probably not go for the static head view only moved by other controls. One of the major things in VR for me is having a right good look around
(Given the other head-tracking tech supported like TrackIR etc I do wonder whether players might be able to finangle a solution in the interim, even if view is locked to controls initially).

Further to these points, it seems vorpX (or even just opentrack alone) could allow for headlook to be separated from controller aiming.

I'm not entirely clear on the process, but here are some efforts by the SC community that have met with some success:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeLRoaQtov0&ab&t=2m

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/lrsyjq Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/lrsyjq/clip_vr_citizen_full_head_tracking_working/

So launched the ol game up after a bit of time gone (missed the fun from the live event due :( ) away from it, and discovered that they added head tracking to the actual game thats being picked up by my VorpX program and translating it to movement INTO SC!!

Not only that, but the motion capture for the body in game was moving along with it!!!

A lot of really crazy things going on in this video, and I still need to do some more in depth diving in the menus and see what they added and what i missed.

i was able to get this stuff kinda working with the help of open track and a few other things in the menus a month or two ago, but this time I didnt even launch or turn on opentrack at all, and SC just worked with full tracking right after launch!!

In theory, if we had the stereoscopic view, we might be able to brew up some similar fixes to various input issues. And all using native support / 3rd party tools, so it wouldn't be a conflict with the ToS or anything.

Having the stereoscopic render view available still feels like a super desireable baseline though. Given the game supports it already.

Last edited:
Nice video - that looks a bit like when I got ARMA 3 working in VorpX, normal controls but with the ability to independently look around.

What techniques / settings did you use for that, do you remember? (Does ARMA 3 support head-tracking as well? Was it piggybacking on that?)

What techniques / settings did you use for that, do you remember? (Does ARMA 3 support head-tracking as well? Was it piggybacking on that?)
I used some recommended settings from the VorpX forums - custom resolution & FoV etc. The head tracking independent of weapon direction is an inbuilt feature of ARMA, something you can do with TrackIR and the like or with the mouse after the correct button press. Useful when sprinting for a quick good-look-all-round.

I used some recommended settings from the VorpX forums - custom resolution & FoV etc. The head tracking independent of weapon direction is an inbuilt feature of ARMA, something you can do with TrackIR and the like or with the mouse after the correct button press.

Cool, so in theory ED having that function natively too might be something we can piggyback :)

I guess the question is whether it would conflict with the VR headtracking in this case? (Given neither SC nor ARMA3 have that natively). But could be a fun one to tinker with if we get that far.

Top Bottom