Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

I dunno, I think it's possible there's been some 'design with VR in mind' at play. If you look at EDO as it stands there are very few blockers to a VR port:

• No canned animations which take control of the player's camera. (For entering / exiting SRV for example)
  • Large interaction panels (That would be suitable for even basic 'press X' hand interaction)
  • Ammo counters attached to weapons in-world rather than as UI. (Not vital, but a recommended practice, to limit UI in general).

It's not definite, but stuff like that suggests to me that they might have left some 'space' for VR. They haven't burned that bridge at any rate.
Hmm, well maybe not that bridge, but I still regard the massive dumpster fire that FD have created themselves is still burning away in the background, and if they don't do something about that soon, that last bridge will burn and I'll definitely not be crossing to embrace FD again like I did prior to Odyssey being developed.

The problem I have is they could actually communicate that they will try to enhance the VR experience once "x" has happened, but this never happened. I still consider their casual disregard for VR players upon Odyssey announcement for the entire new content not having any VR support at all (if we hadn't kicked up a stink about it), as their true position on VR- the Odyssey designers didn't consider it.

I do agree implementing something better should be relatively easy though, at least as we've discussed previously a 3D rendered view with head look. And that's what irks me, if they would just say they'll do this at some point in the future then I'd be mollified, but the history of ED dropping support for hardware is well known by us veterans and no firm commitment after all this time from FD about VR suggested being book-ended to me.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've said this, all it would take for FDEV to unlock my wallet would be to firmly roadmap VR. A simple statement that VR on foot will happen after X Y & Z. The obvious candidates for X Y & Z are Performance level targets achieved, Major fixes in place (for stuff like planetary surfaces as obviously tiled as a bathroom floor) and console port (they need the revenue). That might mean 2023 is the year of VR Space Legs, but even waiting until 2023 secure in the knowledge that it is coming is a better position to be in than hanging on a weasle worded "if, maybe" / "would like to" / "not saying no but there are plans for it".

Speaking to a few boxheads I used to fly in Elite with on discord, we now play other games, and noone had bought ARX last year, normally we all smashed the life out of the premium or special edition paintjobs, that's a lot of lost revenue from those dudes. One dude I used to fly with is now flying RC helicopters! He reckons what he'd have spent on ARX since 2020 bought his first aircraft.

Some people in VORPX community have "peeked behind the curtain", others on here have leveraged the vanity camera, but the conclusions are the same, all the prerequisites for headlook VR on foot still exist in the Odyssey client. To me this makes nixing it as a feature and shunning that segment of the customer base a completely illogical decision.

I see the company had another 25% dip in share prices last week, compounding the 40% drop in november. So in November they went from ~2500 to ~1500, last week they went from ~1750 to ~1325. Although it is worth noting that the share price is starting to recover, it's still less than half what they were valued at this time last year. I guess we players/customers aren't the only ones getting exasperated with the company?

Last edited:
I've lost count of the amount of times I've said this, all it would take for FDEV to unlock my wallet would be to firmly roadmap VR. A simple statement that VR on foot will happen after X Y & Z. The obvious candidates for X Y & Z are Performance level targets achieved, Major fixes in place (for stuff like planetary surfaces as obviously tiled as a bathroom floor) and console port (they need the revenue). That might mean 2023 is the year of VR Space Legs, but even waiting until 2023 secure in the knowledge that it is coming is a better position to be in than hanging on a weasle worded "if, maybe" / "would like to" / "not saying no but there are plans for it".
That's not enough for me. I don't pay for promises, and FDev has a poor track record in delivering on promises.

The obvious candidates for X Y & Z are Performance level targets achieved, Major fixes in place (for stuff like planetary surfaces as obviously tiled as a bathroom floor) and console port (they need the revenue). That might mean 2023
LOL, I think that's bloody optimistic; 2025 maybe (for those 3 things to be done)... Took 'em 3+ (ongoing patches) years to release a bare bones shooter DLC with extreme new grinding path to play (didn't even bother upgrading legacy buildings / alien artifacts for foot based gameplay) - plus, I guess, a painted sky and a couple of plant models for those players not into FPS's (6 weeks work?)...

I just can't see it happening anytime 'soon'tm

.. I guess they moved on to their other games .. too much time and effort allready spent on this franchise, not enough profit left to take .. realisticly, this feature will never be .. it's like an unfinished symphony everything is there to make it sublime .. then suddenly nothing left but silence after the crecendo, because the orchestra has left the building .. Braben's forgotten dream.

.. I guess they moved on to their other games .. too much time and effort allready spent on this franchise, not enough profit left to take .. realisticly, this feature will never be .. it's like an unfinished symphony everything is there to make it sublime .. then suddenly nothing left but silence after the crecendo, because the orchestra has left the building .. Braben's forgotten dream.

I suspect they'll drop Update 11 at some time in Q1. When they do, I'll go poke it, and see if there's any changes to VR ¯\(ツ)/¯

Ain't much more can be done at this point.

So long as new stuff comes though, those of us who are still bothered can give it a poke ;)

Sooo, no console support going forward for Odyssey.

Does that mean FD will have the resources to concentrate on additional VR development?

...or are we next to find out VR will no longer be supported, with no further development? Not that we'd warrant getting a DB post about it, it'd be a footnote in the patch notes somewhere.

Does that mean FD will have the resources to concentrate on additional VR development?
I'd be prepared to put good money on them not adding any more additional VR dev time on the game. They just sacked off half their player base (guestimate) with a tersely worded paragraph and no option to transfer from console to PC.
One positive is that aside from <not space> legs, VR will be ok in every other update that comes out since it will be in vehicle and no work will be required.
Tho' I'm guessing the next bit of paid DLC is a couple of years out so plenty of time to get ready for the next disappointment from Fdev.

They just sacked off half their player base (guestimate) with a tersely worded paragraph and no option to transfer from console to PC.
Probably more in the 20% or less number, going by the comments by console players of how many have 'left' in the past year and that their servers are 'empty'... Of course, as soon as they found out that these numbers made it pointless to develop on consoles further (speculation) the outrage began...

Odd, innit? They abandon the game, then complain when the game abandons them!

They just sacked off half their player base (guestimate)

What info we have suggests that PC is the largest slice of the ED pie by a long, long way:

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. It's definitely dire news for console commanders. Whether it turns out to mean an uptick in output for PC (and/or more focus on PC specialities, like VR), we'll find out over time ¯\(ツ)/¯

What info we have suggests that PC is the largest slice of the ED pie by a long, long way:
Ooof! Still not nice for the console players but would explain why they finally cut it loose - it still sucks.
I just can't see them adding VR-Legs tho just for performance reasons - but... I thought they'd never add an orrery and they did so never say never I guess.

I would presume that, once your commander is locked in his seat for the jump and cannot move anymore, the viewport inherits the "locked in seat" properties from the ship viewport. This might not have been intentional. While making it really exciting I found the multiple switches between VR and flat projection quite jarring. Happens as well in the carrier admin on foot.

Now I'm unable to enter VR on foot in first person only third :cry:

Oh really? Everything seemed the same for me last night. (2D screen for on foot, vanity cam working as before - VR in 3rd person by default, camera positionable to 'first person' manually, just no collisions with the avatar etc).

How were you doing it before?

Last edited:
Oh really? Everything seemed the same for me last night. (2D screen for on foot, vanity cam working as before - VR in 3rd person by default, camera positionable to 'first person' manually, just no collisions with the avatar etc).

How were you doing it before?
Have you noticed the “blur boundary” being greater than it was? When the camera suite was altered to let us get right up close to stuff I could have the vanity cam placed just in front of my CMDRs helmet and everything was hunky dory. This morning when I was walking up to my SRV the camera did the blur-to-darkness before I’d even got close to the wheels.

Have you noticed the “blur boundary” being greater than it was? When the camera suite was altered to let us get right up close to stuff I could have the vanity cam placed just in front of my CMDRs helmet and everything was hunky dory. This morning when I was walking up to my SRV the camera did the blur-to-darkness before I’d even got close to the wheels.

Ah yeah it did seem to have a wider boundary to me too. Like it felt like it took 2 seconds+ to move away from the collision boundary before the full image returned.

Top Bottom