Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

However, by the time this happens, Star Citizen will be stable and released.
Also, by the time this happens, No Mans Sky will have HOTAS and realistic Zero G mechanics.
Also, by the time this happens, Starfield will be released and contain every single imaginable feature either originally or by modding (modding is already confirmed).

:unsure:

I think it's just possible that you may need to calm down a bit friend...

I understand completely where JeltzProstetnic is coming from.

I've been watching the Elite Dangerous Premier again, not only because I was there and in the background in places, but I remember at the time I felt FD knew what they were doing.

Source: https://youtu.be/0GxJbOMaXa0

Chris Gregory (14:30 in the YT video) was the Art Director, and he was talking about the Cobra Mk III in the Premier, but I spoke to him at length during the 2013 Gaming BAFTA event (where FD hooked me onto buying into VR by showing the Alpha build on a DK1). He was also really pushing and promoting the 3D side of the game, not just VR but 3D rendering using those (at the time) fancy 3D displays. He also demoed the anaglyph rendering. I think people like him have moved on and it's not promoted or considered by the current crop of developers, because at the time it really was a focal point.

Also regarding the Premier, did FD actually listened to that punter Mike at the event (26:40) that thought the VR experience wasn't quite there, and just didn't implement any further changes at that point (tongue in cheek, but you get my point)...? Just look at all those players trying out the game in VR and FD really promoting that side of things, and it's been eight years, but gone nowhere except towards the metaphorical bin.

Better idea, Same be System as the ships, still need a mouse and keyboad to move around. Janky? Yes, buts is better than nothing. However, I bet is all part of those “connectivity issues” they talked about in their financial report lol.

I’ve been doing more feet-based missions recently and knowing that any basic proper VR is a long way off (possibly even never) I’d be fairly happy if we could have some virtual-flatscreen options - personally, I’d like to change the grey surround to black, make the screen a bit closer (so it fills more of my view), and also make it curved like some of the other screens in ED.

But if the devs wanted to add a first-person view to the camera suite, or add the option of stereoscopic rendering to the flatscreen, I suppose I could work with that… 😁

Agreed, we got the bear minimum, why FD thought we'd be indifferent to the grey background I've no idea, let alone zero options to customise it.

I hope they will put some effort in to VR after they fix up Odyssey's problems, but from what they have said so far, my hopes aren't high, so unlike Arioch I haven't bothered playing, indeed installing, ED since our latest content was delivered, and FD can go whistle on my future involvement until VR gets the attention it deserves.

Not directly, but mostly they have said they would want to make VR "work right, well, good" or some other term about quality.

They appear to not want to just "hack it in" they would want to fully design the way it works, rather than just chuck a system in that technically works.
That would be amazing, so they could at least say that they are going to do it, and give us no dates for that. I'm sure that it would calm down several people hearts!

So I had a go at this:

Interesting experiment here incidentally:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/p7264e Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/p7264e/odyssey_works_with_headtracking_and_sidebyside_3d/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/p7264e/_/h9h4w2e Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/p7264e/odyssey_works_with_headtracking_and_sidebyside_3d/h9h4w2e/

I can’t test it at the moment, but looks like it might be worth trying the old beta function in Virtual Desktop (£11).

Can’t say my own experiment with SBS was a roaring success, but having it with full headlook, rather than on a screen via BigScreen, would be an improvement :)

Not getting anywhere fast though. Thought I’d throw it to the thread:

The actual pass through to the headset works fine. IE Elite is in SBS mode, and VD 1.7.2 is in SBS Direct mode, and it all comes through, filling my view. But the 2 images themselves seem misaligned in the headset. IE:

This menu view:

zvy0nov.jpg

Looks like this:

e1NqDPs.png

It’s offset by almost exactly the width of the menu columns there. Which seems too much 😁

Playing with the in-game options (3D separation & 3D focal distance) doesn’t seem to alter it in the menu screen or in-game. And I can't see any VD options to tinker with the SBS overlap.

Anyone played with this legacy 'SBS direct' mode before? (And if so, which headset? I’m on a Rift CV1).

I could see this possibly being fun to mess around with if it worked, with the Opentrack headlook added. But not like this ;)

Has anyone tried with VorpX yet? I got Star Citizen running quite well using VorpX, but I am inexperienced with configuring it. And I won't spend money on yet another hack, at least not for ED.

PS: Dear FDev: F+ck you very much for yet another large update with ~200 fixes, none of which even remotely adresses VR and also f*ck you very much for still keeping total radio silence on the topic.

PS: Dear FDev: F+ck you very much for yet another large update with ~200 fixes, none of which even remotely adresses VR and also f*ck you very much for still keeping total radio silence on the topic.
C’mon, there’s no need for that.

System Map scrolling speed (issue report #40168) and Comms Panel (issue report #39818, which was affecting VR players) were both addressed in Update 7, and listed in the patch notes.

Also, a recent FDev comment regarding VR can be seen here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-update-7-progress.589656/post-9516516
…which was on Tuesday 👍

@Arioch (y)

@JeltzProstetnic regarding vorpX, headlook appears to be possible, with standard UI scaling issues, but no stereo view:

Yes. I'm getting headlook, but no stereo vision.

Replying to myself here, because I should probably include that even so, the VorpX flat-but-otherwise-"full VR" option is in my opinion way, way superior to Frontier's virtual screen: The headtracking is half the VR experience right there, and filling the full view of the HMD makes all the difference on any of the worlds in the Adityan system -- 'don't mind a pinch of image sharpening either. :7

I also always, personally, have the experience that more FOV is much more comfortable and less nauseating, than a more restricted one, contrary to the popular anti-nausea measure of pulling in the FOV during yawing, seen in many games.

The problems that crop up, is that there is no GUI scaling, so to be able to read menus, one have to hop into edge-peek mode now and again; And that the game seems to like to cap the resolution to one's monitor resolution, even in windowed mode. I got around that somewhat, by activating some DSR virtual resolutions in NVidia settings - it seems to me that VorpX captures the frame buffer before the downsampling stage. DSR x4.0 still looks a little too low res to my eye, but my 1080Ti is already stuttering badly at that point anyway. :p

I'm setting the FOV in Options/Graphics/Settings.xml to 110° for my Index, which seems a fairly good fit.

Given EDO’s performance issues I’d favour using native functions wherever possible for stereo views. That’s why I thought the SBS mode might be a fun option. Will shout if I get it working on my rig.

C’mon, there’s no need for that.

System Map scrolling speed (issue report #40168) and Comms Panel (issue report #39818, which was affecting VR players) were both addressed in Update 7, and listed in the patch notes.

Also, a recent FDev comment regarding VR can be seen here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-update-7-progress.589656/post-9516516
…which was on Tuesday 👍

Yes there is. I had a very urgent need to curse even more, but supressed it.

Concerning the recent FDev comment: I am not interested in any bugfixes concerning the pancake-non-solution. This comment seems to confirm that we will be stuck with the flat view forever, and that VR development in ED is indeed at the end of the line, or in simpler terms: ED VR is DEAD.

Top Bottom