Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

I know, right?

Next they'll be coming up with a way to discover and tag planets without having to fly to them. Outrageous! ;)

That hasn't changed at all it was always optional, people who want to close in to do it still can and for surface mapping have to.

If you don't like it don't do it.

People who want autopilots should be booted out of the pilots federation.

1. It's optional, you don't have to use it.
2. Manually flying your ship was a placeholder
3. FDev have made their decision and you just have to adapt.
4. If you don't like it, play something else.

I can't believe I missed this one, cuz it's a doozy!

5. You haven't tried it, so your opinion is worthless.

I can't believe I missed this one, cuz it's a doozy!

5. You haven't tried it, so your opinion is worthless.

Really ?, I thought it was very weak which is why I scrolled past it. It seems important to you though so here's my take on it.

Nobodies tried it yet so everyones opinion is equally worthless (other than the devs), even the people asking for it.

Its not really an autopilot if it doesn't steer (see above).

Another difference is I'll give it a bash even if I don't think I'll use it and if I like it keep it, no matter what my preconceptions are. If I don't keep it I get extra slots opening up new possibilities for smaller ships which I prefer flying anyway. I also get to laugh at the PVP'ers treating the modules as shoot on sight resulting in forum salt and I can carry on mocking its proponents either way.

The arguments you are trying to use only work on the butthurt, I'm a happy player there is no lose scenario for me.

All of a sudden im finding the autopilot really quite engaging. I might even log in and let my ship do some trade runs for me.

Dont you hold such an opinion about the incoming new features? When the patch drops im going to log in, let my ship undock itself, hell im going to take a cutter with no shields, pause outside the station for a moment and then let it dock itself for me. Its going to be so engaging.

Are you quoting the wrong poster ?.

Dont you hold such an opinion about the incoming new features? When the patch drops im going to log in, let my ship undock itself, hell im going to take a cutter with no shields, pause outside the station for a moment and then let it dock itself for me. Its going to be so engaging.

Stigbob is just throwing stuff out there, seeing what gets a reaction. The level of scrutiny this proposal is receiving (ie the depths to which the opposition has to stoop to oppose the idea) is surprising to say the least.

I think that the bar has gone so low is itself vindication that the idea has merit, otherwise there would be a better case to present. I would like to see the justification from FDev for removing existing long standing game elements several years after the game was released & bought, and if none can be made (and I don't believe it can be) they should be put back into the game. Fortunately in this case there are no balancing issues to contend with, no objections from the community (setting schadenfreude aside, what one player thinks of how another player plays is not an important factor in game design) , and with the functionality already in the game in explored space very little in the way of a feasibility test will be required.

It just needs a response.

Last edited:
I definitely wish FD would come out and end these senseless debates once and for all. However they wish, just state their decision.

That said, my wish is for the system to stay as-is, you know, if FD really wants to know, just throwing it out there. :D

I definitely wish FD would come out and end these senseless debates once and for all. However they wish, just state their decision.

That said, my wish is for the system to stay as-is, you know, if FD really wants to know, just throwing it out there. :D
Debates are only senseless if there is no legitimate room for compromise - if I had my way I would have FD scrap the FSS and Space-Golf and go back to the drawing board. However, I would settle for something along the lines of the OP's proposal and progressive (if slow) iterative improvement of the 3.3 exploration mini-games into proper mechanics that do not alienate any given approach to exploration.

Real world and video game comparison, lol.
Nope. FD wants this as real as possible. Yeah, they had to fudge some on the supercruise and a lot on the hyperspace. And even a bit on maximum speeds even with flight assist off. But that can be explained by in-game lore. But they did it to make it playable. Being as real as possible an Alcubierre drive is going to have an auto-pilot. No one says the pilot has to use it, but it will be there. It wouldn't even be optional equipment; all ships fitted with the drive would be fitted with an autopilot. Not having one is an immersion breaker. This is set in the early 3300's. They are going to have things that we can't even conceive of now. And cutting people down because they use it shows you to be an elitist snob. You probably look down at people who use flight assist on even though that's the default setting. I look down on people who never turn off flight assist as it seems to me they are flying an airplane in space, but I wouldn't denigrate them with name calling and suggestions that they should be booted off the server.

Real world and video game comparison? No. This is FD's vision of the real world in 3305. So, don't like the AP, don't use it. But don't tell others they shouldn't use it either.

FSS would stay "as-is".
We only would like to allow more flexibility in exploration playstyle by allowing use of optional modules that would change the nature of it.
Those who use FSS and like FSS style of gameplay would still play by its rules.
Those who would like old-style gameplay would equip new modules and be on their merry way.
This way everyone is happy.

Regarding the upcoming update and "Interstellar Initiatives" what Will said himself that players will be able to 'unlock new modules' in the course of these
i'm, for the first time, having my hopes up.
Hopes that we see that reintroduced in a way that everyone could perform exploration in the way that suits them the most.

FSS would stay "as-is".
We only would like to allow more flexibility in exploration playstyle by allowing use of optional modules that would change the nature of it.
Those who use FSS and like FSS style of gameplay would still play by its rules.
Those who would like old-style gameplay would equip new modules and be on their merry way.
This way everyone is happy.

Regarding the upcoming update and "Interstellar Initiatives" what Will said himself that players will be able to 'unlock new modules' in the course of these
i'm, for the first time, having my hopes up.
Hopes that we see that reintroduced in a way that everyone could perform exploration in the way that suits them the most.
My guess is there will be more Guardian/Thargoid/AX related modules as part of those unlocks as opposed to anything else.

What about something like that?

Seeing how incredibly important most people find planet sizes and gravitational dependancies, this is definitely the content one should at least put some work into. No ADS.

Perhaps unsurprising, a lot of Elite's appeal is purely visual.

It is kinda sad that the true content of exploration, what that planet actually is and its physical properties, are far less valued.

Top Bottom