Horizons Am I correct in this?

I recently bought Horizons and had decided I'd like to start fresh, so I've killed off my old toon and jumped in with a Horizons starter Sidewinder.

First mission I pick up is to travel to Styx and do a planetary landing mission for 140kish. 3 Jumps later I'm in Styx and hunting for the planet.
I find 2 next to stations and spend the next 20 mins killing pirates and flying around hoping I'll bump into the other planet. No luck.
So I try buying the data, no one in system sells any, jump to a neighbouring system but doesn't appear to be any way to buy it there either.

So basically as far as I can see my options are:
- Do something else until I can afford an intermediate scanner and hope it picks this system up and do thus before the timer runs out.
- Fly blind again and hope i stumble upon it.
- Ignore this stupid crap until i have 5 mill or so from bounties then look at missions after I can at least discover the system and not get screwed by the game.

Or is there some other way to find this planet?
Right now I'm thinking of resetting again for a ship without the planet stuff and just farming RES points until I have the resources the game apparently thinks I have with the starting ship in the starting base of the starting system...

Yes, disco scanners are a must, in Horizons as the planetary bases don't show on the map unless you discovered the planet. Like you did, you can also buy the data, but they are rarely complete, so it's a bit of a lottery.

On the other hand, finding planets with basic scanner can be fun! I did a whole first exploration trip like that. You just have to have one planet (which you have) to get the rough idea about the orbit plane, and then just fly around at 30C+ looking left and right for the objects that move against the background. It can be exciting. :D
Or, if you are a cheat, you can just tail the NPCs going there. :p

Eventually, if you are online right now, you can send me an invite and I can come and navigate you where you need to go. ;)
(well, if you hadn't cleared your save, yet, anyway)

Last edited:
Old-school explorers know how to find planets without scanners, if you're still interested you could ask in the exploration forum or search for things like "finding planets without scanner".

I don't have the knowledge sorry (I always just used ADS), but there are tricks like figuring out the ecliptic from a planet you do know, then using that to know the optimal angle to travel to spot planets via parallax, how to guess the hotspots where an orbit is more likely to be found, etc.

Thanks alot guys these comments are amazing. I had to put the game down and walk away as I was so frustrated but I'll jump back in now and try to find this planet with either of the suggested tactics.

Top Bottom