Newcomer / Intro Am I missing something? (SCA)

Is there no way to assign "Toggle Supercruise Assist" to a key / button? Is the Nav Panel the ONLY way to turn this on and off? Now that my nav panel is a fleet carrier hell scroll, I really really would like a button for this!

Before somebody suggests this, I realize I can filter out fleet carriers, but then I can't SCA to my fleet carrier...

Is there no way to assign "Toggle Supercruise Assist" to a key / button? Is the Nav Panel the ONLY way to turn this on and off? Now that my nav panel is a fleet carrier hell scroll, I really really would like a button for this!

Before somebody suggests this, I realize I can filter out fleet carriers, but then I can't SCA to my fleet carrier...

I second this. Button would really help, considering how often some of us use SCA.

o7

Yes, having to scroll through the nav panel for your destination then selecting SCA is a bit of a chore. A keybind would be handy. Mind you, a more intelligent SCA would be welcome as well i.e. one that can steer around obscuring bodies.

Having said that, I suppose one could consider it lazy and not complain as "you were lucky. When I were a lad, we used to 'ave to lick rerd clean wi' our tongues".

I second this. Button would really help, considering how often some of us use SCA.
It amazes me we have a button to toggle rotation correction (who ever uses that?) but not supercruise assist. Another option would be a checkbox in the right panel that automatically enables SCA to whatever station / FC we have targeted.

While I generally agree with the sentiment, I would like to offer a counter-argument from a perspective of a man who plays Elite not for the features, not for the content, but specifically because he enjoys the act of flying the spaceship. Here goes:

Not everything needs to be a button. It's true that not everything needs to be a chore, either, but the game cannot fully transform into a button-pressing simulator.
Just like with asking for the docking permission - it could easily be a button. But some things need to retain a tiny bit of involvement if for nothing else than to break the monotony. It doesn't have to be much, but keeping some things to be a procedure instead of a simple button press keeps the illusion that you are operating a spaceship going.
The sad but important thing to realize, that this is all this game is about. An illusion. And one has to evaluate whether this core thing is still appealing to him or not. Once you lose your illusion of flying a spaceship, once the act of getting your bunch of pixels from certain bunch of pixels to another bunch of pixels turns into boredom so you want to replace it with a button press so you don't have to focus on it and can do other things, the game is lost to you.
There's no shame in that. But it IS so.
Things like docking computers and flight assists alone are already bordering with it. But once you can't even be bothered to perform four clicks to set your game to play itself and want to replace it with just one? I don't know man. Maybe it's too late.

But some things need to retain a tiny bit of involvement if for nothing else than to break the monotony. It doesn't have to be much, but keeping some things to be a procedure instead of a simple button press keeps the illusion that you are operating a spaceship going.
I know what you are saying, but finding my fleet carrier in a list of over 100 fleet carriers in order to enable autopilot (despite having already selected my carrier using a bookmark) is not the "involvement" I'm looking for. Assigning a button would be optional, just like equipping a SCA is optional. Me flying my way won't stop you from flying your way.

I know what you are saying, but finding my fleet carrier in a list of over 100 fleet carriers in order to enable autopilot (despite having already selected my carrier using a bookmark) is not the "involvement" I'm looking for. Assigning a button would be optional, just like equipping a SCA is optional. Me flying my way won't stop you from flying your way.
True. Carriers are annoying in more ways than just this one. And I don't even have one. :LOL:

It amazes me we have a button to toggle rotation correction (who ever uses that?) but not supercruise assist. Another option would be a checkbox in the right panel that automatically enables SCA to whatever station / FC we have targeted.
I have always thought that the rotation toggle was for the Flight Assist off people but it it did puzzle me why rotation correction wasn’t automatically removed when we lobotomised our ships by switching FA off.

While I generally agree with the sentiment, I would like to offer a counter-argument from a perspective of a man who plays Elite not for the features, not for the content, but specifically because he enjoys the act of flying the spaceship. Here goes:

Not everything needs to be a button. It's true that not everything needs to be a chore, either, but the game cannot fully transform into a button-pressing simulator.
Just like with asking for the docking permission - it could easily be a button. But some things need to retain a tiny bit of involvement if for nothing else than to break the monotony. It doesn't have to be much, but keeping some things to be a procedure instead of a simple button press keeps the illusion that you are operating a spaceship going.
The sad but important thing to realize, that this is all this game is about. An illusion. And one has to evaluate whether this core thing is still appealing to him or not. Once you lose your illusion of flying a spaceship, once the act of getting your bunch of pixels from certain bunch of pixels to another bunch of pixels turns into boredom so you want to replace it with a button press so you don't have to focus on it and can do other things, the game is lost to you.
There's no shame in that. But it IS so.
Things like docking computers and flight assists alone are already bordering with it. But once you can't even be bothered to perform four clicks to set your game to play itself and want to replace it with just one? I don't know man. Maybe it's too late.

You definitely have a point. ;) And I appreciate having some semblance of busy work and procedures as immersion. but I can see a distinction between involvement (resulting in enjoyment) and complexity (which can be annoying, especially in a crisis). In the same breath I would much rather be flying a Dragon II instead of a Space Shuttle (remember that Mac game MacChallenger?) or an Apollo because I'd rather work with simplified digital displays than a hundred push-pull breakers and needle gauges. A SC toggle button as an option would be just that - a useful option if, like me, your CMDR playstyle involves a lot of other busy work and calculations while supercruising. I know a lot of players wouldn't use it, but I'm thinking a lot of others would appreciate the choice.

Top Bottom