Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
you both are welcome - I hand fed a kitten, which wasn't able to drink by itself and would have been drowned, if I wouldn't have taken him - drop by drop from my finger tips until he finally got how to do it. He developed to be quite a mighty hunter and had lots of offspring in the neighborhood.

They literally did already...

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter (2012)

ty2goSY.png

Uiwk3ZS.png

N81nByl.png

Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

I think your post needs quoting on every page by someone until people get the message.

It was always intended to have space legs.

I'm sure many of us remember DB waxing lyrical about going big game hunting on planets on foot. I'm sure many of us are still hoping that one day it will happen.

This was all part of the kickstarter period which encouraged people to give money to FD as well as the reason some people gave FD money post kickstarter or paid extra for the LTE.

I think its not unreasonable for people to want the game they were told the devs wanted to make.

And for anyone who doesn't want the space legs, well, don't buy Odyssey then. And for anyone who says its a deal breaker, then perhaps you should have looked into it before buying ED.

My only gripe is FD chose to add space legs before atmospheric worlds. I'd have rather got those first and worried about the space legs stuff later.

I certainly like the idea of many of those things, the problem is that a lot of them would be very hard to "gate" off into a paid expansion like Odyssey. Mainly I'm hopeful that while Odyssey doesn't have anything I'm particularly excited about beyond new planet types, it makes enough money that Frontier thinks it can afford to do another Beyond-style free expansion next where they go back and add details and integrations to existing game mechanics.

New ships: you could make owning the Panther Clipper dependent on Odyssey - there were Horizons-only ships - but people certainly wouldn't have bought Horizons just for the ships.
New station types: presumably orbital ones, since it is coming with new surface types? Would they deny docking if you didn't have the expansion? Again, not going to get people to pay £30 for it.
Better missions and encounters: the easiest way to gate those off would be to ... set them somewhere that other players can't get to, like the walkable interior of a base on a tenuous atmosphere planet. They have said that Odyssey will have slightly different missions and more mission types compared with the base game (and obviously "deliver this message, but on foot" is at least a variation...) just as Horizons added a bunch more - and while I wouldn't expect greater complexity necessarily, the inside of a building is a more contained and controlled environment to do that sort of thing with.

(They did - I can't remember exactly when, sometime in early Horizons - have multi-step missions where you'd do the first part, and then that would give you the second part, up to four parts for the big ones. They replaced them fairly quickly with the much more optional chain/follow-on mechanism, and it'd be interesting to ask what they thought wasn't working about the earlier design, as it's been a cpmmon request in more recent years.)
You are totally right yeah. They designed the game in a way it'd be hard to expand it in many of the ways I mentioned while having non-Odyssey owners gated off. It's a very tough technical problem to solve for sure, but they certainly have good programmers and also had many years to develop Odyssey. shrug

Another problem mentioned before is the p2p architecture.
All fps games run on dedicated servers. P2p in this context makes me shudder.
Everyone who witnessed a shadow ram or five, or plasma salvoes hitting you while missing you by 200 meters
will see how much fun we're going into.
Yep, that's one of my main concerns too. I think FDev can deliver a decent single player FPS game, but p2p FPS combat? PVP?? They weren't even able to solve the SLF-induced lag issue yet 😂

I'm going to wait to see how this stuff works, and how buggy it is before I spend any money.

Its FD, the first week or four will be a buggy mess.

If history is anything to go by though, the worst bugs will likely be patched after the first few weeks and it should be more or less playable.

I guess the FPS part is to raise the funding required to hire more staff - atmospheric worlds are by far more complicated to do - fauna and flora in appealing landscapes - this requires a lot of staff working on it.

I think your post needs quoting on every page by someone until people get the message.

I'm sure many of us remember DB waxing lyrical about going big game hunting on planets on foot. I'm sure many of us are still hoping that one day it will happen.

This was all part of the kickstarter period which encouraged people to give money to FD as well as the reason some people gave FD money post kickstarter or paid extra for the LTE.

I think its not unreasonable for people to want the game they were told the devs wanted to make.

And for anyone who doesn't want the space legs, well, don't buy Odyssey then. And for anyone who says its a deal breaker, then perhaps you should have looked into it before buying ED.

My only gripe is FD chose to add space legs before atmospheric worlds. I'd have rather got those first and worried about the space legs stuff later.
The space legs worlds are atmospheric, albeit lightly.
Pug

Ah you mean ELW's. That would be nice but the loading time would probably be 3 days, and be a glitchy mess.

Although SC are doing it well... (Irony)
Pug

Where does it state "space legs = fps combat" though?

Ah you mean ELW's. That would be nice but the loading time would probably be 3 days, and be a glitchy mess.

Pug
Frontier: Elite II and First Encounters were also doing this decades before Elite Dangerous. Then there's the modern Outerra, Space Engine and Kerbal Space Program.

I can jump my ship to any system.
I can fly my ship around systems.
I can land my ship on planets.
I can leave my ship in my SRV and drive around.
I can look mournfully at the glass and wish I could get out and stretch my legs and see the scale.

How can you not want legs? Even if you dont want a FPS or whatever you still get legs? Or dont buy it.

I can jump my ship to any system.
I can fly my ship around systems.
I can land my ship on planets.
I can leave my ship in my SRV and drive around.
I can look mournfully at the glass and wish I could get out and stretch my legs and see the scale.

How can you not want legs? Even if you dont want a FPS or whatever you still get legs? Or dont buy it.
People want space legs, the polls show this.

Hell, I want space legs myself. Just with gameplay centered on my space ship in my space ship flying game,
not some bad* fps focus no one asked for.

*it will be bad. P2p and a certain naiveity on FDs side regarding player to player interaction will see to that.
You can call me out on this later...

Pug

Not just ELWs. Gas giants for a start. But many atmospheric worlds would not be livable on but have wind storms and lakes, rivers, or oceans of various elements perhaps. Ammonia worlds might be rather interesting.

Some worlds would likely have poor visibility making flying at low altitudes dangerous and keeping a close eye on scanners.

And of course, what could be found on those planets?

A lot of work of course, but Odyssey has taken ... what? 3 years? Perhaps it might have been nice if FD had spent that time doing atmospheric worlds. Then space legs after. Then we would have had more places to stretch our space legs.

But hey ho, FD decided to do space legs first, and at the end of the day, its something i'm looking forward to, and since they have done that, hopefully ship interiors are coming as well at some point.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Pug
Frontier: Elite II and First Encounters were also doing this decades before Elite Dangerous. Then there's the modern Outerra, Space Engine and Kerbal Space Program.
Although from the same developers I can't reconcile "Elite II and First Encounters" as being a comparable product.
Pug

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom