Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

I might try to follow your advice with the default and using hunting, but it's not something I ever done before so might take a while before I get around to learning how to. Especially since I don't actually fly without HUD (I'm a combat pilot), but was testing as I was trying to figure out what does what and encountered that "bug". I'm sure I'll do it at some point!
If you can live without the "HUD entirely off" feature (CTRL-ALT-G instead), then it's an easy fix. Just change the CommandListToggleHud to have only the following:

Code:
[CommandListToggleHud]
$hideHUD = 1 - $hideHUD

This will toggle the canopy glass part of the HUD only (circles around planets, stuff like that).

If you can live without the "HUD entirely off" feature (CTRL-ALT-G instead), then it's an easy fix. Just change the CommandListToggleHud to have only the following:

Code:
[CommandListToggleHud]
$hideHUD = 1 - $hideHUD

This will toggle the canopy glass part of the HUD only (circles around planets, stuff like that).
I used something similar to that before. In the previous version, I made my toggles to be ambient lighting of (F3), internal/external lights of (F2) and "external" HUD of (F1) with F4 toggling black space. For 99% of the time, I play without the F1 and F4 functionallity, which I could easily reproduce with the new version you provided.

I'm still personally interested in figuring out -why- me and others may experience the HUD in another way, as it may be useful in other ways. I also have some vague interest in learning to make shaders myself, as it may allow me greater ability to manipulate my HUD (specifically colours) to be more like I want it to be, with higher contrast on the leading/training circle etc. I know absolutely nothing about shaders at this moment, so there would be a lot to learn I suspect.

BTW, I noticed some of you don't like this insane blinding light in our face from the carriers. I don't have this on my rig, but it's terrible on my PS4. I never used a mod to turn it off, so I wondered why I was exempt, but then it dawned on me - I added the following to my GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file back when I got VR:
Code:
<LensFlares>
  <Low>
      <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  </Low>
  <Medium>
      <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  </Medium>
  <High>
      <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  </High>
</LensFlares>
When you have VR, you don't need artificial lens flare - you get more than enough from the actual VR lenses!
when i looked for <LensFlares> in my config file, they are already there but look like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<LensFlares>
<Off>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_OFF;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>false</Enabled>
<QualityIndex>0</QualityIndex>
<ImportanceThreshold>2</ImportanceThreshold>
</Off>
<Low>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_LOW;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
</Low>
<Medium>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_MEDIUM;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<QualityIndex>1</QualityIndex>
<ImportanceThreshold>1</ImportanceThreshold>
</Medium>
<High>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<QualityIndex>2</QualityIndex>
<ImportanceThreshold>0</ImportanceThreshold>
</High>
</LensFlares>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so - should i change THAT code to say 'false' or should i REPLACE that code with your code or should i ADD your code to my config file?

i ask because your code is a simplified version and doesn't have 'LocalisationName' and all that. just want to make sure i don't mess anything up.

Y'all seem to be confusing me with a full-time paid developer from Frontier, LOL. What you ask for is not simple, it might not even be possible.

Look folks, I do this as a side-hobby to improve my own gameplay, and I'm happy to share what I've successfully done for myself with others, but that's it. Please manage your expectations.
Sure no problem, it was an idea that came to my mind and just wanted to share it with you as a suggestion to play around.
Regarding the concept itself of a directional vector I think all the needed data must be landing in that space dust shader right now.
Just encouraging your hobby here, keep on and congrats for the results so far :)

It does appear that this mod does not work with EDFX, which in itself is Reshade. Bummer, as I wished both would work together. XD

I added the following code to my dxd3.ini file for a more smooth transition between FSS and HUD (which share some shaders). Feel free to integrate and adapt to your own purposes if interested.
Code:
REDACTED DUE TO BUG
EDIT - Ooops, I found a bug. I'll fix it someday and repost.

Last edited:
Old Duck, AmbientLight is a shader right? My guess is (now knowing a bit more about this stuff) that is is possible to mod the shader to decrease the ambient light effect, just like you did with the other shaders. In stead of total black you'd get near total black.

I could try it myself but currently I don't know where/how to get/extract the shader files in the first place (I can google, but maybe a pointer from you is faster:)

Old Duck, AmbientLight is a shader right? My guess is (now knowing a bit more about this stuff) that is is possible to mod the shader to decrease the ambient light effect, just like you did with the other shaders. In stead of total black you'd get near total black.

I could try it myself but currently I don't know where/how to get/extract the shader files in the first place (I can google, but maybe a pointer from you is faster:)
Yep, I actually did this on my system for awhile. I can post the modified shader later sometime.

look - i get that there isn't any 'official' tech support here but it's pretty frustrating to ask questions and be ignored for days if i'm even responded to at all.

Last edited:
when i looked for <LensFlares> in my config file, they are already there but look like this:

<LensFlares>
<Off>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_OFF;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>false</Enabled>
</Off>
<Low>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_LOW;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
</Low>
<Medium>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_MEDIUM;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<QualityIndex>1</QualityIndex>
<ImportanceThreshold>1</ImportanceThreshold>
</Medium>
<High>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<QualityIndex>2</QualityIndex>
<ImportanceThreshold>0</ImportanceThreshold>
</High>
</LensFlares>

so - should i change THAT code to say 'false' or should i REPLACE that code with your code or should i ADD your code to my config file?

i ask because your code is a simplified version and doesn't have 'LocalisationName' and all that. just want to make sure i don't mess anything up.
look - i get that there isn't any 'official' tech support here but it's pretty frustrating to ask questions and be ignored for days if i'm even responded to at all.

I was/am in the same situation, but am perfectly aware of the position OD is in. He is more or less showing a trick, but you have to do it yourself. If you dont want to 'mess up things', that is your problem, not OD's

What I did is change the true to false's for all ... because I thought (educated guess) 'Well, this probably will work' ... and if it doesn't work, then change it back. Backups being the oldest of old tools of somebody 'messing with things' (So, does it work? Frankly I don't know I am changing so much that I forget to check everything)

Sure, I ask OD things, but on a 'If he doesn't tell me I figure/find it out myself' basis (the latter takes more time, but it is damn fine if somebody shares his hard earned tricks to somebody else for free:) (and even OD is using for free the tricks he learned from others)

I was/am in the same situation, but am perfectly aware of the position OD is in. He is more or less showing a trick, but you have to do it yourself. If you dont want to 'mess up things', that is your problem, not OD's

What I did is change the true to false's for all ... because I thought (educated guess) 'Well, this probably will work' ... and if it doesn't work, then change it back. Backups being the oldest of old tools of somebody 'messing with things' (So, does it work? Frankly I don't know I am changing so much that I forget to check everything)

Sure, I ask OD things, but on a 'If he doesn't tell me I figure/find it out myself' basis (the latter takes more time, but it is damn fine if somebody shares his hard earned tricks to somebody else for free:) (and even OD is using for free the tricks he learned from others)
FYI for the world, Old Duck is back to work after having some time off. That means I can stick my head in the forum on short breaks to post some pithy poetry in random threads here and there, but I don't have time to tech support every question that comes up in this thread. I'm relying on others to answer the more "basic" questions like how to change the general GraphicsConfiguration.xml file. If my "tech support" isn't good enough for folks, I'm happy to give you a refund :p

Now if I was providing a full app and asking for Patreon support, then I'd be a bit more quick to offer individual tech support. But I'm not..

FYI for the world, Old Duck is back to work after having some time off. That means I can stick my head in the forum on short breaks to post some pithy poetry in random threads here and there, but I don't have time to tech support every question that comes up in this thread. I'm relying on others to answer the more "basic" questions like how to change the general GraphicsConfiguration.xml file. If my "tech support" isn't good enough for folks, I'm happy to give you a refund :p

Now if I was providing a full app and asking for Patreon support, then I'd be a bit more quick to offer individual tech support. But I'm not..
Could you update the OP before you go? I believe you've posted some additional options, which got lost among hundreds of posts...

Could you update the OP before you go? I believe you've posted some additional options, which got lost among hundreds of posts...
Once the stuff I just posted has been properly tested, I'll be happy to. I probably should request this thread be moved to third party tools subforum as well.

I'm also waiting to see if Frontier says anything. So far, nothing. In fact, a very old thread from 2016 popped up recently where somebody else posted actual shaders (to get rid of dust) and it seems Frontier was fine with that. I'll take no news as good news. From a legal standpoint, it's actually wise on Frontier's part not to say anything rather than to post a written "blessing", lest such a post be used against them in the future by a modder who takes things too far (like making an aimbot or something).

But yes, I'll update OP once these recent changes have had a chance to fully bake :D

wow - what a salty bunch.

first of all - there's 35 pages of people asking questions and getting answers. and not JUST from Old Duck. this is a community of enthusiasts and any number of people could help out.

second - i'm not the bad guy here for having the expectation of getting my questions answered. especially in a 35 page thread of other people getting their questions answered. i have been appreciative and very patient. i play often and am just trying to apply the modifications correctly. i am not a programmer but can follow directions well. i'm not a horrible person with horrible expectations when i ask my my F1 key doesn't work while F2 and F3 and everything else does or why the code OD is posting differs from the code i see. elitist or condescending replies don't help anyone here. neither does gatekeeping.

if there were other people to turn to - i would try it. BUT THERE ISN'T. this is it - a niche thread for a niche mod for a niche space game.

Hi LSDMT, while I am not a programmer you could try and assign F4 as an example and see if that works. Open the d3dx.ini file and near the top is "VK_F1" so you could try changing that and see if it works "VK_F4". Good luck.

Hi LSDMT, while I am not a programmer you could try and assign F4 as an example and see if that works. Open the d3dx.ini file and near the top is "VK_F1" so you could try changing that and see if it works "VK_F4". Good luck.
i have tried that. used F4, used SPACE. if i change F2 and F3 to F4 or SPACE - they still work. it's just F1. i have tried EVERYTHING i can think of:

• clean reinstalls
  • using just the original OD d3dx.ini file and not changing anything else
  • making sure F1 isn't being used by anything else (Voice Attack, accidental key bind to something else, etc). heck - i even modified Win10 to stop using F1 as it's help button. so F1 is completely free and in the clear - it's just that it doesn't turn off my HUD. F2 and F3 turn off their respective lights but F1 eludes me. other people are recently reporting issues with their HUD too. i wish i could get it fixed because i'd really like the option to turn it off sometimes.

all of the other mods seem to work perfectly (except for the scratches in the canopy which i can only remove if i get the F1 issue fixed). my next step is to try to implement the shaders that OD posted but i'd like to get these other issues resolved first before i go modding it further (lens flare and F1/HUD not working).

-

thanks for replying and trying to help, /u/amcb10. it is much appreciated.

Out of interest does F1 work if you map the F2 to it? You don't have a macro bound to F1 do you, sorry I am clutching at straws here but it seems weird that F1 seems to say NO.

If F1 does work when you assign F2 to F1 then it must be something else in the shaders or override file that is not allowing the shader to be applied.

hmm :unsure:

that's a good idea. i don't know that i tried that but i will when i get home from work. i know for a fact there is no macro tied to F1. i double-checked everything and even checked the Razer software - it's empty.

i have a very nice computer and i can say that the F1 key does work (it used to bring up Windows 10 help center or whatever. i'm more of a Mac guy but i know my way around both systems). here is my computer (first PC i ever built):

Oculus PC Final

i built that computer exclusively for VR. i only play games on it. here is my VR cockpit:

i have since upgraded to the Rift S and will be upgrading to a full Virpil/VKB setup later this summer (although i do really like the CH stuff. built like a tank).

i like the fact that F2 and F3 turn off the lights/ambient lights. if only i could get the HUD to turn off too, lol.

Last edited:
i like the fact that F2 and F3 turn off the lights/ambient lights. if only i could get the HUD to turn off too, lol.
Forgive my naivety, but why not just map the HUD to a key that does work? F1 is "just a key", I picked it because it was there. You can chose any key at all (though I recommend not using an alphanumeric key). Perhaps the Tab key! Just make sure whatever key you pick isn't doubling as some function in ED itself (like F10).

Top Bottom