Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

Forgive my naivety, but why not just map the HUD to a key that does work? F1 is "just a key", I picked it because it was there. You can chose any key at all (though I recommend not using an alphanumeric key). Perhaps the Tab key! Just make sure whatever key you pick isn't doubling as some function in ED itself (like F10).
no problem, OD. a few posts up i said i tried that:
i have tried that. used F4, used SPACE. if i change F2 and F3 to F4 or SPACE - they still work. it's just F1. i have tried EVERYTHING i can think of.

so - i tried to map F1 to other keys. it's not that the F1 key doesn't work - it's that the HUD doesn't turn on and off no matter what key i bind it to. the lights/functions of F2 and F3 work and toggle like they are supposed to. but the HUD will not toggle regardless of what i have it set to. and i am using the code you provided. if i were at home i would post the file. but i even tried the file you posted in the first thread with no modifications made to it and F1 still won't toggle the HUD. so it's the HUD code for me on my computer apparently 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Thanks - got that to work OK.

As a way of thanks: please find attached a little shader fix I have made: you can turn down the brightness of the Orbit Lines by altering the value // < < HERE
1.0 is full
0.0 is nothing

MP

You little beauty @Monkey Pants , this is brilliant. Been wanting to sort out the orbit lines for ages. This is far more "realistic" in terms of what a HUD might look like in a spaceship... thanks! :)

Any chance you know how to dial out the orange tint on the lines? I'd love these to be a blue or green!

Last edited:
HOLD UP EVERYONE. When I press F1 it does NOT get rid of the HUD. Just some lit space areas, the window marks and the target area of the HUD. Not the entire HUD itself. Which is how it's supposed to be, is it not?
Maybe CMDR LSDMT is working but not in the way he/you expect?

What I'm doing is looking at the code (I'm not a coder) and working out how things work, then experimenting. Which is what OLD DUCK is doing, and then passes on his knowledge. To my mind Ducky boy is being helpful and going beyond anything he needs to do. The rest of us should be happy and grateful that he's done so much in such a short period time and giving it away for nothing. Well, maybe a Fleet Carrier... But that's deserved, bless him.

so - i tried to map F1 to other keys. it's not that the F1 key doesn't work - it's that the HUD doesn't turn on and off no matter what key i bind it to.
AHHHHH!!!! See, I misunderstood. I thought the problem was your F1 key, not the HUD code. Well if it's the HUD code in the .ini file, then I might be of some assistance. First thing to do is manual change the global $hideHUD = 1 to 0 and back again (unfortunately you'll have to reload the game each time using the my default .ini) to see if that changes your HUD visibility. The "outside the cockpit" section of the HUD should be off when $hideHUD is set to 1 (thus hidden) and on when set to 0. This will tell me if it's the ShaderOverride section that's broken or the CommandList section.

HOLD UP EVERYONE. When I press F1 it does NOT get rid of the HUD. Just some lit space areas, the window marks and the target area of the HUD. Not the entire HUD itself. Which is how it's supposed to be, is it not?
Maybe CMDR LSDMT is working but not in the way he/you expect?

here is what i am specifically looking for: the scratches to disappear from the window when the light from a sun is directly shining on it. you can see from the screenshots that Old Duck has posted that the glass does, in fact, clear up when toggling the HUD using F1. it just doesn't work for me.

my carrier is parked next to a sun. i can go out, undock, and tell right away cuz there are whitish streaks all over my windows. it's not a game breaker or anything. but i will be departing for an extended exploration run after i get back up to 10 billion credits so within the next couple of weeks depending on when i can play.

if i could get this F1/HUD issue resolved, then i would try to modify the <LensFlare> that Old Duck spoke of a few posts back, then i would try to use the shaders he provided.

that's my game plan. just trying to get some help from you guys and i appreciate all the help i get. i'd be more than happy to PayPal someone who could resolve it.

The original d3dx file in OP gets rid of the Heads UP Display, not the Heads DOWN Display. It gets rid of everything augmented reality aid that appears outside the cockpit in VR (on the glass in 2D) - this includes circles and names around planets, targeting markers on ships, Tron planets (map effect), artificial horizon over planet surfaces, etc etc. It does not get rid of holographic displays inside the ship like radar, power distribution, target details, etc.

Now my latest d3dx.ini file, which I posted a page or two back, does indeed get rid of both HUD and HDD, by cycling through three modes when pressing F1 - Full HUD, Partial HUD (HDD), and No display at all (similar to CTRL-ALT-G except it also turns off ship lights).

AHHHHH!!!! See, I misunderstood. I thought the problem was your F1 key, not the HUD code. Well if it's the HUD code in the .ini file, then I might be of some assistance. First thing to do is manual change the global $hideHUD = 1 to 0 and back again (unfortunately you'll have to reload the game each time using the my default .ini) to see if that changes your HUD visibility. The "outside the cockpit" section of the HUD should be off when $hideHUD is set to 1 (thus hidden) and on when set to 0. This will tell me if it's the ShaderOverride section that's broken or the CommandList section.
THANK YOU SIR! i will try this when i get home tonight and let you know. maybe it will help others, too.

seriously - THANK YOU for trying to help me.

here is what i am specifically looking for: the scratches to disappear from the window when the light from a sun is directly shining on it.
But do the circles around planets disappear? While scratches and the glass-based HUD share the same shader, they are technically two different things. It is possible to see the glass in rare occasions despite the HUD shader being bypassed. This happens in my Dolphin because it runs cold, and the "chill" effect causes the glass to appear despite the HUD being turned off.

But do the circles around planets disappear? While scratches and the glass-based HUD share the same shader, they are technically two different things. It is possible to see the glass in rare occasions despite the HUD shader being bypassed. This happens in my Dolphin because it runs cold, and the "chill" effect causes the glass to appear despite the HUD being turned off.
i do not believe so, but i will triple check tonight.

i do not believe so, but i will triple check tonight.
I think they do ... otherwise we have a mystery (I love a good mystery)

Btw for me HUD = stupid circles, so that was the first thing I wanted and saw from OD's mods ... It is funny you are not sure about the circles, thus indicating you are probably looking for some other 'hud effect' first, and this could turn out to be all misunderstanding of what the mod F1 key does

The original d3dx.ini pretty much only does circles and TRON. Tron (mapping planet iirc) I guess you have not tested, and circles you are not sure.

I'm curious at your findings:)

Last edited:
You little beatuy @Monkey Pants , this is brilliant. Been wanting to sort out the orbit lines for ages. This is far more "realistic" in terms of what a HUD might look like in a spaceship... thanks! :)

Any chance you know how to dial out the orange tint on the lines? I'd love these to be a blue or green!

Thx - I will have a look when I am back in front of my PC

MP

I think they do ... otherwise we have a mystery (I love a good mystery)

Btw for me HUD = stupid circles, so that was the first thing I wanted and saw from OD's mods ... It is funny you are not sure about the circles, thus indicating you are probably looking for some other 'hud effect' first, and this could turn out to be all misunderstanding of what the mod F1 key does

The original d3dx.ini pretty much only does circles and TRON. Tron (mapping planet iirc) I guess you have not tested, and circles you are not sure.

I'm curious at your findings:)
ok, so i got home and hopped on. scratches on the glass are definitely there (in a Python). i'm parked in Swoilz as the 4xLTD hotspot is here. i flew to the closest planet. hitting F1 made no circles around the planet disappear. not the blue circles that show the gravity well around the planet nor the yellow/orange one that has the name of the planet. no lines disappear.

now - i had never scanned a planet and then hit F1 to see if the 'tron-effect' went away (and that's on me. i have always been more concerned with those stupid scratches on the glass). so i scanned the planet and can confirm that F1 DOES toggle the blue tron-effect on and off. but it does nothing else.

so, it appears as though at least that part of it works. i will now try the instructions that Old Duck told me to do a few posts up and see what that does..

First thing to do is manual change the global $hideHUD = 1 to 0 and back again (unfortunately you'll have to reload the game each time using the my default .ini) to see if that changes your HUD visibility. The "outside the cockpit" section of the HUD should be off when $hideHUD is set to 1 (thus hidden) and on when set to 0. This will tell me if it's the ShaderOverride section that's broken or the CommandList section.
well, looking at your .ini file i don't have a 'global $hideHUD'. in the first part of your .ini file it only has a 'global $showHUD':

[Constants]
global $showHUD = 0
global $showInteriorLights = 1
global $ambientLight = 0

[keyToggleHUD]
Key = VK_F1
run = CommandListToggleHud

[keyToggleLights]
Key = VK_F2
run = CommandListToggleLights

[keyToggleAmbientLight]
Key = VK_F3
run = CommandListToggleAmbientLight

[CommandListToggleHud]
$showHUD = 1 - $showHUD

[CommandListToggleLights]
$showInteriorLights = 1 - $showInteriorLights

[CommandListToggleAmbientLight]
$ambientLight = 1 - $ambientLight

(a bit further down it has):

; Remove all "outside" HUD elements - circles around planets, labels, etc. It makes looking out
; the window feel just like that. This can be toggled using the appropriate key.
; NOTE - two shaders affect this, 74a61bc54382d4d9 and e61a98e9d493cdea (the latter retains glass)
[ShaderOverrideCanopyHUD]
Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
if $showHUD == 0
Handling=skip
endif

; Remove blue "TRON" mapped planet overlay. This will affect not only the window view, but the DSS.
[ShaderOverrideTronPlanets]
Hash=abb57399a1eaf6ce
if $showHUD == 0
Handling=skip
endif

------------------------------------------------------------------

i did a CTRL-F to find 'global $hideHUD' and that is not in this d3dx.ini file. so i will try the opposite of what you say and change the 'global $showHUD' from 1 to 0 and back again and see if that does anything..

[EDIT] nope, that just reversed the tron-effect from being default on to off but other than that - no changes. nothing else on the HUD changes. certainly nothing to do with circles around planets or the window being free from scratches.

i have attached my d3dx.ini file as a text file if anyone would like to look at it.

Attachments

• LSDMT d3dx-ini.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Hi, unless I’m not following what you’re saying, it sounds like you might be using the original ini file from post #1. The additional steps for total hud removal are from page 31 on Post #614. This is why you can’t find that ‘global’ code you mention above, it only exists in the revised .ini from post #614.

The #614 post has an evolved set of code/commands that adds a few different things, one of which is total hud removal (and this is the feature some of us can’t get to work for some reason). Total hud removal does not feature in the .ini code from post #1.

The ‘tron’ lines removal gets rid of the big 3/4 circle and star / planet name around your selected target. These are not to be confused with the planetary orbit lines and planet horizon lines, which are a feature you can find in the Elite Controls menu as a toggle on/off (I assign it to a stick button) called Orbital Lines (or similar).

Hi, unless I’m not following what you’re saying, it sounds like you might be using the original ini file from post #1. The additional steps for total hud removal are from page 31 on Post #614. This is why you can’t find that ‘global’ code you mention above, it only exists in the revised .ini from post #614.

The #614 post has an evolved set of code/commands that adds a few different things, one of which is total hud removal (and this is the feature some of us can’t get to work for some reason). Total hud removal does not feature in the .ini code from post #1.

The ‘tron’ lines removal gets rid of the big 3/4 circle and star / planet name around your selected target. These are not to be confused with the planetary orbit lines and planet horizon lines, which are a feature you can find in the Elite Controls menu as a toggle on/off (I assign it to a stick button) called Orbital Lines (or similar).
you are correct in that i have been using the original .ini file from post #1 as that's typically standard protocol in all the years i've been computing, lol. weird thing is that F1 only toggled the blue tron-effect of the planet. it doesn't affect the 'big 3/4 circle and star / planet name around your selected target' on my screen.

maybe this will fix the HUD issue finally. going to try it now. THANK YOU for replying!!!

Last edited:
i am happy to report that my F1/HUD issue has been resolved by using the new .ini file posted on page 31 (post #614) of this thread. a very special thanks to u/Xavoras for pointing me in that direction, and Old Duck for all the time and effort he has put in to helping to make our little game that much better.

a couple of notes, though:

• the canopy glass STILL has scratches all over it that can be seen when the light from a close sun is hitting the canopy. while i can now cycle through (3) modes of the F1 command - none of them removes the scratches. i tried this in my Phantom and both Krait's. i assume that it's impossible and i will just live with them.
  • when in my ship i sometimes notice a shader effect kinda popping on and off of my canopy (Phantom). it is cyclic and happens every 6 or 7 seconds. happens on every one of the F1 presets. also, when i boarded my carrier - i see a number of light sources and wall panels kind of glitching. i assume this is a shader adjustment that is affecting these things. i followed the directions and put the shader tweaks in their respective folder and will go mine for the next hour and try stuff out. i understand this is all still a work in progress.

for now though, i'll step back and watch the thread for updates or new tweaks. thank you to everyone that tried to help me out.

Last edited:
the canopy glass STILL has scratches all over it that can be seen when the light from a close sun is hitting the canopy. while i can now cycle through (3) modes of the F1 command - none of them removes the scratches. i tried this in my Phantom and both Krait's. i assume that it's impossible and i will just live with them.

Here's a picture comparing HUD full on vs off. BTW, the scratches tied to the HUD is Frontier's doing, not mine. I'm guessing this is because the HUD is assumed to be projected onto our canopy, since you can't see the HUD when the glass is broken, thus what we are really turning off is the glass itself. (attached files)

when in my ship i sometimes notice a shader effect kinda popping on and off of my canopy (Phantom). it is cyclic and happens every 6 or 7 seconds. happens on every one of the F1 presets. also, when i boarded my carrier - i see a number of light sources and wall panels kind of glitching. i assume this is a shader adjustment that is affecting these things.

Well that's interesting... I've experienced this as well, but I assumed it was because of my fooling around with atmospheric planet stuff. In fact, deactivated my custom ambient light shader (which is not even in the list of shaders shared in this thread), and I haven't noticed the strobe lighting since. Hmmm.. Well, if anyone isolates a specific shader as the cause of this problem, let me know! There does appear to be some sort of "trigger" for it, because when it happens to me, it just "starts" at some point into the game, but once it starts, it's persistent. But like I said, I haven't noticed it since going back to the default AL shader..

Attachments

• HUD ON.jpg
    HUD ON.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 268
  • HUD OFF.jpg
    HUD OFF.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 255
Technique (just a pointer how it can be done) for creating a slider like behaviour of a F-Key (example 'boost faint stars')
Easy if you want to test/cycle-through a range of values, and maybe later decide on the sweet spot value. Or keep the slider.

d3dx.ini:

Code:
[Constants]
y = 1

[keyToggleF4]
Key = VK_F4
run = CommandListToggleF4

[CommandListToggleF4]
y = y * 2
if y > 256
  y = 1
endif