Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

Anywho, the easiest and safest mechanism to donate to the "Old Duck Odyssey Fund" would probably be digital Steam gift cards to user "Old Duck"...

Gift cards are only for friends. So if you want one, you have no other choice than to be my friend.
However, there a quite a few Old Ducks on Steam, but I think found one that is most likely you.

old-duck.png

Do I win a Kamitra Cigar?

I'm in the same boat, $40 is a drop in the bucket, but waiting for the bulk of the patches is worth the wait.
I've given a little thought to this, and it inspired the following new thread:

Deleted member 240115

D
You bring up some important points that I need to clarify for everyone:

One reason I've been holding off on buying Odyssey is that it's much better to download it after Frontier has applied a month's worth of patches and hotfixes rather than trying to do anything with it while it's actively being patched. Otherwise it's like working on a Google Doc where two people are typing in the same paragraph at the same time. So even if people were to donate to the "Old Duck Odyssey Fund", I would still likely hold off another month before actually purchasing Odyssey.

As for ease of modding, my latest mod includes a ton of custom shaders, and that is what will be difficult. Replacing hashes of shaders that are just turned off might take me an hour, but modifying a single shader to improve one little graphical oddity might take all day, and there are dozens of shaders I touch in Horizons.

The other thing I want to be very up front about is that I'm not poor. I can afford Odyssey. I just don't want to give Frontier my money right now, partly because I don't want to reward bad behavior, but also because of what I mentioned above - I'd rather wait even just a month for Odyssey to be patched so I'm just downloading ONE update instead of dozens. So if people really want to gift me Steam cards (not much different that Patron for Youtube content creators, I guess), I'd probably put those towards Space Engine or some other game, and then later I'd just use my own money for Odyssey.

So in other words, if you're thinking "Duck needs Odyssey today, so I'm going to help him buy it", that won't work, because I fear downloading Odyssey today will be more trouble than it's worth even if it were free.
Your honesty is very much appreciated. A rare treat on Internet forums.

I'd rather wait even just a month for Odyssey to be patched so I'm just downloading ONE update instead of dozens. So if people really want to gift me Steam cards (not much different that Patron for Youtube content creators, I guess), I'd probably put those towards Space Engine or some other game, and then later I'd just use my own money for Odyssey.

So in other words, if you're thinking "Duck needs Odyssey today, so I'm going to help him buy it", that won't work, because I fear downloading Odyssey today will be more trouble than it's worth even if it were free.
Based on feedback I've received in another thread, I'm starting to reconsider this. I probably will go ahead and purchase Odyssey if folks want to donate to this "cause". I haven't played Horizons in a few weeks (just haven't been in that mood), so I really don't have much to lose by downloading Odyssey. I'm sticking to my guns of "I'm not paying $40 of my own money for this", but I think I've come around to being okay with spending your money on it, LOL.

HUGE DISCLAIMER - I make ZERO promises to anyone about anything, ever. Anyone donating to the "We like Old Duck's mod" fund won't receive any special treatment. My mod has always been for ME, and I share it with folk of like mind, but it's not a community tool like EDSM or EDHM or EDABC123. I share it "as it", no promises, no guarantees, no tech support. My goal is to mod Odyssey similar to how I've modded Horizons, getting rid of clutter (which will include getting rid of that silly transporter circle) along with improving lighting and the skybox to my personal tastes. Whether I can actually pull this off using the new shaders remains to be seen. I suspect it will be quite challenging.

ps - Steam requires a 3 day wait period between friending someone and gifting them a digital Steam card, so you may want to friend "Old Duck" (cmdr_duck) today if this is something you're interested in supporting. As soon as I have close to the full amount for Odyssey (I've always been willing to pay $10 for it, even in its current state), I'll make the purchase and start the long download.

Okay, I'm still here. Phew! If you haven't heard, I've put my purchase of Odyssey on indefinite hold. Sorry! If you donated to the "Old Duck Odyssey Fund" and would like a refund, just let me know.

I still enjoy Horizons when I'm in the mood, and I actually started playing with more Horizons shaders the other day. I thought maybe I could reproduce some of the color choices in Odyssey that I actually like (higher contrast ELWs, less color-saturated landable planets, etc). Results have been somewhat mixed, but I'll continue to play with these as time allows (and once I'm back from my X4 Foundations honeymoon).

IIRC, the EDHM project has expanded beyond just HUD colors and now includes many features found in my own mod, like cleaning the cockpit glass, removing supercruise speed lines, etc. If you're desperate for some Odyssey shader love, do check out EDHM. Tell them the Old Duck sent you ;)

They’ll “fix” Odyssey, to where everyone will like it, I’m sure. But don’t count on that being before Christmas.

I feel like we’re doing a Cyberpunk bit here. ;p ...what with the whole unfinished release and all.

Question:
When you target a ship, the HUD show this 3 light triangle ...
I'm looking for the shader for that element. Anyone knows? Is it a21b8e41ec493648 ?

Tip:
I have tweaked the Orbit Lines. Made them much fainter
Add the tweak line just before the return in shader 7b3274d6fc4f91aa-ps_replace.txt
Code:
  o0.w = o0.w/50;  // << TWEAK orbit lines weaker NEW LINE
  return;
}

Just enough visual clues without the immersion breaking effect in VR (btw, I have it on toggle ON/OFF as well)

Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 2021-06-03 02-08-14.mp4_snapshot_01.08_[2021.06.09_10.14.05].jpg

Last edited:
Question:
When you target a ship, the HUD show this 3 light triangle ...
I'm looking for the shader for that element. Anyone knows? Is it a21b8e41ec493648 ?

Tip:
I have tweaked the Orbit Lines. Made them much fainter
Add the tweak line just before the return in shader 7b3274d6fc4f91aa-ps_replace.txt
Code:
  o0.w = o0.w/50;  // << TWEAK orbit lines weaker NEW LINE
  return;
}

Just enough visual clues without the immersion breaking effect in VR (btw, I have it on toggle ON/OFF as well)

View attachment 238082

VERY cool! Those lines are too bright and often times aliased, but most of all I want that targeting reticule 50% darker. It doesn't seem to be impacted by the dash lights (HUD brightness). I like to use the target circle, I just hate how bright it is. But it does seemed linked to the dirt on the window, which I also hate. In the future we'd be using HD glass-like material and probably some sort of laser debris removal system. So the smudges never really made sense.

VERY cool! Those lines are too bright and often times aliased, but most of all I want that targeting reticule 50% darker. It doesn't seem to be impacted by the dash lights (HUD brightness). I like to use the target circle, I just hate how bright it is. But it does seemed linked to the dirt on the window, which I also hate. In the future we'd be using HD glass-like material and probably some sort of laser debris removal system. So the smudges never really made sense.
try this in e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.txt

Code:
  // r0.xyzw = t0.Sample(s0_s, v0.xy).xyzw; // ORIGINAL for ref
  r0.xyzw = t0.Sample(s0_s, v0.xy).xyzw * 0.3; // TWEAK

@Old Duck
Hey Duck, I wanted to start playing with this but I'm totally new to this mod. I see from your .txt file how to turn shaders off, but how do I turn existing shaders UP? Specifically I want to play with Space Dust right now (I think I found the Odyssey hash).

Thanks!

Top Bottom