Ambulatory excuses for FPS players...

Sadly, the ambulatory approach by FDev lacks a LOT of realism. I thought this was supposed to be a sim? A space simulation to be precise about it... What we have with Odyssey is imo, rather pathetic really. They have gone for "let's all run around really quickly on a planet with a gravity of 0.05g so that we can make the game more appealing to FPS players", rather than do something unique and have the ambulatory aspects of walking on a surface at 0.05g reasonably approximated. You would need movement suppression and it would be a slow motion affair. Yes, jumping to great heights and distances would be possible but not necessarily easy to land well.

I'm just saddened by the whole affair. We have gone for 1g ambulatory movement on surfaces with low g jumping, for 'game play reasons'... FPS reasons... No other practical reasons... Which has annoyed me frankly. Yes I have bought this abomination of a dlc, but am I impressed with this implementation... Emphatically NO.

The SRV's have a system that simulates gravity with thrusters (even though ingame it doesn;t make sense). Why would the suits not have it?
I don't quite follow your point I'm afraid? The SRVs are reasonably affected by gravity and behave relatively differently on different gravity planets. Yes it's a crude approximation but at least it's an approximation! The thrusters enable SRV jumps but the surface makes a big difference to how the vehicle handles, especially when landing.

What we have with the on foot version of this is NOTHING like the SRV experience...

Edit: I get that this is all just toys for the boys who like to do pew pew and shoot at each other (yes, I am rolling my eyes in disdain at the violence of men). And while I'll have to put up with it, I don't have to like it, approve of it or condone it. It's not what I signed up for... I signed up so that I could explore the galaxy in a space ship.

Hopefully, the added Flora with be a tiny step towards the kind of game play I enjoy but to say I'm feeling like an after thought right now is putting it bloody mildly!

Last edited:
Sadly, the ambulatory approach by FDev lacks a LOT of realism. I thought this was supposed to be a sim? A space simulation to be precise about it... What we have with Odyssey is imo, rather pathetic really. They have gone for "let's all run around really quickly on a planet with a gravity of 0.05g so that we can make the game more appealing to FPS players", rather than do something unique and have the ambulatory aspects of walking on a surface at 0.05g reasonably approximated. You would need movement suppression and it would be a slow motion affair. Yes, jumping to great heights and distances would be possible but not necessarily easy to land well.

I'm just saddened by the whole affair. We have gone for 1g ambulatory movement on surfaces with low g jumping, for 'game play reasons'... FPS reasons... No other practical reasons... Which has annoyed me frankly. Yes I have bought this abomination of a dlc, but am I impressed with this implementation... Emphatically NO.
Well you know if we are going to go all newtonian physics on the thing including inertia and conservation of momentum, the ships would be nigh unflyable and combat with them nearly impossible. The only complaint i have with the foot travel is the flailing hands.

Well you know if we are going to go all newtonian physics on the thing including inertia and conservation of momentum, the ships would be nigh unflyable and combat with them nearly impossible. The only complaint i have with the foot travel is the flailing hands.
ROFL your worried about the bloody hands! For The Sake of Fritters, that is what bothers you!?

Really? Are you for real? They have completely mashed up any resemblance of this being a sim so that a bunch of guys can go shoot at each other. Woopy Do! And you are bothered by the bloody hands!

As Greta Thunberg said "How Dare You".

Last edited:
Kind of makes sense for a suite to have some kind of a jump-dampening system because it would be pretty much impossible to walk and run on planets with minimal gravity. Humans are adjusted for 1G, trying to run on a 0.05G planet like you would on earth you'd just jump high and far (which you can already do).

Sounds fair but low G would make you a sitting duck in most cases. Not sure how this would be fun gameplay experience.

Well, for the sake of argument, if you're not able to move laterially as quickly in low G, neither would NPC's be able to. It might be a frustrating gameplay experience (all slowed down) but that's not a certainty. It would be an interesting thing to try, to see how it went.

If there's a gravity issue in the game for me it's the concourses in outposts, with no coriolis effect gravity (no spin) but open coffee cups, stairs and a mag boots fig leaf. If something really needed pulling from Odyssey and improved for the sake of gravity, for me it would be oupost concourses really but can see where the OP is coming from.

Well, for the sake of argument, if you're not able to move laterially as quickly in low G, neither would NPC's be able to. It might be a frustrating gameplay experience (all slowed down) but that's not a certainty. It would be an interesting thing to try, to see how it went.

If there's a gravity issue in the game for me it's the concourses in outposts, with no coriolis effect gravity (no spin) but open coffee cups, stairs and a mag boots fig leaf. If something really needed pulling from Odyssey and improved for the sake of gravity, for me it would be oupost concourses really but can see where the OP is coming from.
I think it is time for FD to declare the artificial gravity festival open.

It should not have come as a surprise. When it comes to Elite Dangerous, frontier have always opted for cheap and shallow gameplay options. Their concepts are great, but the actual mechanics of them fall short every single time.

I thought this was supposed to be a sim?
Excluding the 1:1 scale, beautifully rendered, scientifically viable galaxy we play in, I've personally never felt like ED from a gameplay perspective was a sim. There's nothing sim-like about it, from ship flying to the economy. ED, to me, is a game that frequently and rightly surrenders scientific plausibility for gameplay reasons inside of a simulated galaxy.

IMHO, I think if Frontier went for sim-like accuracy in gameplay as well.. the experience wouldn't be all that enjoyable - more like an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:
I think it is time for FD to declare the artificial gravity festival open.

Not sure it's time to but it looks like they probably will .. there's a thread here about it too.

It should not have come as a surprise. When it comes to Elite Dangerous, frontier have always opted for cheap and shallow gameplay options. Their concepts are great, but the actual mechanics of them fall short every single time.

Unfortunately almost every sci-fi movie/lore succumbs to the (difficult) practicalities of simulating zero-g .. star trek, star wars, alien .. so when people think sci-fi, zero g is often not the first thing they think about.

I'm not saying zero-g environments would be espacially simple to implement but would sure like to see Frontier try.

Excluding the 1:1 scale, beautifully rendered, scientifically viable galaxy we play in, I've personally never felt like ED from a gameplay perspective was a sim. There's nothing sim-like about it, from ship flying to the economy. ED, to me, is a game that frequently and rightly surrenders scientific plausibility for gameplay reasons inside of a simulated galaxy.

IMHO, I think if went for sim-like accuracy in gameplay as well.. the experience wouldn't be all that enjoyable - more like an exercise in frustration.

On that point I usually think of ED as an 'emulation' as opposed to a 'simulation' per se. So I don't think devs need to go for a full simulation of 0.01g to tip their hat to it.

Simulating a difference between <1g and >1g .. say 0.5g on a 0.1g world .. avoids having to go 'all floaty' but you'd notice a difference between the high and low g environments and the full on simulated experience is emulated instead.

IMHO, I think if Frontier went for sim-like accuracy in gameplay as well.. the experience wouldn't be all that enjoyable - more like an exercise in frustration.
There are always 2 sides to any argument aren't there?

At the moment we have the 'fast Apex' people who want Apex to be faster than regular ships 'because gameplay', and we have threads like this arguing 'because realism'. Both have merits, and the game does pick sometime arbitrary sides (we have station trash because people really are pigs, but it doesn't float in outposts because it's not important for gameplay).

I'm ok with the way they've done gravity with jumping and grenades being affected, though it would be nice to know if they ever tried the more sim-like solutions. And if so why they decided not to go with it.

I'm not saying zero-g environments would be espacially simple to implement but would sure like to see Frontier try.

This has been one of the most frustrating things about the way the game has been developed over time. Its always had massive potential to be a whole lot more, but often falls short.

For example, the galaxy already has millions of 1g worlds, and possibly thousands in the bubble alone - locations where "traditional" FPS-style combat can take place. So if the current design decision was focused on purely appeasing gamers that want that kind of experience, the foundation for it was always there.

But on top of that, they could have experimented with FPS combat on a variety of other worlds that have low G, or higher G, giving everyone the opportunity to experience FPS gameplay like no other game has offered, and in a limitless number of environments too. That would have lead to a whole new style of FPS gameplay emerging, depending on where you were, with varying difficulty associated with it, and new strategies to work out.

Depth of gameplay coming, by default, thanks to the myriad of environments Fdev have excelled at giving us.

If the current iteration is the way it going to be, i.e. all worlds acting as 1g in leg mode - specifically when running, then what a wasted opportunity it is of bringing something to the FPS genre that very few other games have offered.

Last edited:
This has been one of the most frustrating things about the way the game has been developed over time. Its always had massive potential to be a whole lot more, but often falls short.

We're obviously on the same page in terms of the gravity sim in Odyssey, though I would say (and I don't know about you but) I've been around since the kickstart and Frontier 100% definitely have a lot on their plate in getting Odyssey running at all, basically a whole new game added.

So I'm not despondent because first you need interactable avatars before you can put them into ANY environment and staged develeopment is absolutely fine by me. The more worrying thing than this OP - for me - is the mag-boot hand wave in outposts. Where sure, we know there's no gravity (so mag-boots) but there are open cups on the tables - and presumably coffee all over the walls!?

This OP .. imo, not a huge deal .. devs could dial some sort of gravity differential into the on foot stuff on planets later. Outpost concourses though, for me ought to be pulled and rethought while we stick to planet bases (where mag-boots IS fine by me) and Coriolis stations in game, while orbital outposts are further developed with avatars already up and running.

There are always 2 sides to any argument aren't there?

At the moment we have the 'fast Apex' people who want Apex to be faster than regular ships 'because gameplay', and we have threads like this arguing 'because realism'. Both have merits, and the game does pick sometime arbitrary sides (we have station trash because people really are pigs, but it doesn't float in outposts because it's not important for gameplay).

I'm ok with the way they've done gravity with jumping and grenades being affected, though it would be nice to know if they ever tried the more sim-like solutions. And if so why they decided not to go with it.
I'm ok with a balance between both.
Like, gravity affecting grenade throwing but not affecting your movement speed.
I mean, if you land on a moon .. there ain't no way you're running around like it's track and field, you'd like look like Armstrong and whats-his-face..

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Top Bottom