American English Localization Grammar

There are a few localization/grammar issues which I would like to bring to attention for some items, hopefully they can be fixed to reflect the American English settings of the console (this is for the Xbox version, PS version may be different). Of course they were probably carried over from the British english version; they don't affect gameplay whatsoever but would like to see them reflected for the American English language.

Kerbs - Curbs (shown multiple times in help/picture menu as well). I noticed some were changed when a few curbs/guest blocking barriers were renamed in a patch.

Centre - Center

Chequored - Checkered

Lamp posts - Inconsistent grammar American/British English capitalization

Music notes - Crotchet and quaver are called quarter and eighth notes respectively.

Although still technically correct, "bauble" is more of a British English term for "ornaments"; was wondering where they were when I went to "search" for them in the list and couldn't find them (also a reason for my post; hard to search for certain items not knowing alternative spellings).

"Water well", and some various "Corrugated Iron" and "wood" pieces don't follow capitalization or spelling suits of all other items in list. Same goes for the "Multi select" in the radial menu vs the actual menu. (I noticed "Dynamite Crate" was altered to reflect this in prior patch notes so I'm simply bringing these to your attention).

Again, I realize that there are much bigger issues and this is nothing game breaking but they are noticable (American grammar) "errors" without trying to test/replicate anything at all, but figured I'd just bring it to your attention.

This is what I came across; should I find more I can add them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Frontier is based in the U.K. so you'll see terms that are British based not American based. You'll see bins instead of garbage cans and so on. They also spell some words differently than we do. So those words will be used when using the English languaged-based version of the game.

Frontier is based in the U.K. so you'll see terms that are British based not American based. You'll see bins instead of garbage cans and so on. They also spell some words differently than we do.

I agree 100% with your reply and statement by knowing they are based in the UK which was the a reason for my post; to let Frontier be aware of these terms (they have already changed MANY items to reflect our "complicated" American English language, which I give them tons of credit for). Same goes for adding our "goofy" Standard/Imperial system and us not using the Metric system like 98% of the world).😜

Reason I didn't question the use of trash bins nor toilets (which in America they're called restrooms if they're in public), but because those words are spelled that way here and still technically correct; just as "bauble" is (but a term we don't use which is why I phrased it like I did).

Reasons such as these is why there is a British and American English locale/language menu under the console settings. Why America had to create and change spelling/grammar over time is beyond me and many people across the globe.

Again, it obviously doesn't affect gameplay, which is why my post is not worthy of the issue tracker but thought I'd just bring some to Frontier's great attention to detail to make a great game "flow more consistent" if that makes sense.😋

Knowing that they do care and can adapt the game to all the languages around the globe is awesome. It is only as the topic title says, "Suggestions" it's NOT intended in anyway shape or form to be a slam at anyone (except maybe the confusing American English language). 😉

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom