Dinosaurs An alternative "Fixed" Ankylodocus skin, not a replacement but a potential addition

With The Return To Jurassic Park and The Raptor Squad Pack DLC, we are given new skin sets as an alternate choice from the base game dinosaurs, with RTJP even changing the models of some of these dinosaurs. This was super exciting as it provided more options to already existing dinosaurs in the game. Instead of throwing in new dinosaurs that are similar in niche, we now have a fresh take on some old favorites and more options that cater to more players!

With the new skins, this has made me curious if any other dinosaur could do with a new skin treatment. Looking at the roster of dinosaurs we have in the game, some were criticized for the lack of certain skins, such as Herrerasaurus and Troodon not having a legacy skin based on their looks on Jurassic Park The Game, or Jurassic Park Operation Genesis veterans like Carcharodontosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus not having an option that is similar to their old looks. But if I were to limit the choice to one dinosaur that would need it the most, it would have to be the Ankylodocus.

Ankylodocus_3_1080.jpg

The ankylodocus is a herbivore hybrid that is part of The Secrets of Dr Wu DLC. The ankylodocus is one of my favorite dinosaurs in the game, but I do see how it is often criticized aesthetically in the JWE fandom. The introduction of the ankylodocus has most players believe that we are going to have the genetic peak of a massive tank, something akin to an impenetrable defense unit dinosaur. The looks of the ingame ankylodocus however is less bulky and high endurance and looks rather goofy and docile. It lacked the armor plating of the ankylosaurus, and is instead given the side spikes of the ankylosaur's armor which does not make it feel like it could take a hit. It also has an interesting inclusion of lips which adds to the goofy face it is often recognized for.

But like how some players dislike these features, other players, myself included, find these features cute. I guess you could refer to this as the pug of JWE dinosaurs. Both are genetically modified creatures, and you either find them cute or ugly.

And this is what I think causes the divisive reception to the hybrid. The design of this dinosaur has taken a different approach, it does not feel like a genetically advanced tank that may have some military meddling for advanced defense, it feels like a genetically modified creature to fill in the niche of the Shunosaurus, a dinosaur that has been recorded to have existed in the real world. So players would feel like a slot that was made for the shunosaurus is taken away for this hybrid and not have the armored tank, a compromise does not fit either role very well.

Despite all of this, I think a new alternative skin would help the ankylodocus more than any other dinosaur on the roster and one to make the most of it. Secrets of Dr.Wu focuses on genetic modification more than anything when compared to other expansion packs, and each hybrid in the game would deliver a unique take. The stegoceratops is a combat ready herbivore that attacks with both horns and tail spikes, the spinoraptor is a suped up raptor thanks to the aggression of the spinosaurus and could tackle larger dinosaurs and be the spinosaurus take of the indominous rex. The ankylodocus is a defensive tank, but besides the ingame stats, it is just a spiky diplodocus, so how interesting would it be if this hybrid is unique for having a larger variety of skin choices?

So the hybrid we have in the game could be the more docile and guest friendly ankylodocus. His goofy look and ankylosaurus adornment could be the more approachable ankylodocus, something that we could see in our parks as a cute mascot of sorts. We could see this as ankylodocus that is more diplodocus, or for a more interesting take:"Ankylodocus - Prototype 1.1", as these hybrids, like the indoraptor in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, are going through different renditions based on Dr.Wu's research.

The alternative skin is the more fan favored "Armored Ankylodocus". This ankylodocus is a more dense ankylodocus that is built with the recognizable plating of the ankylosaurus. Likewise, other features are present, such as the more armadillo look, the beak-like feature on its mouth, a sturdy and less squishy face, and a more skinnier belly to be more similar to the ankylosaur's belly. One of the more favored fan renditions of the ankylodocus is the artwork made by the Deviant Artist, Tapwing, as shown below. A more scientific approach when compared to JWE and even Luida's take on the ankylodocus.

dcwwpp0-5a4edacc-de76-4480-bb9f-aa50839cb77b.jpg

This artist rendition has a great balance between the ankylosaur and diplodocus genomes. The body is more horizontal in looks, the spikes are organized in a way that matches the ankylosaurus spikes, and it has a weight to it that makes the plating on its neck weigh down the sauropod hybrid. The recognizable armor plating from head to tail really gives off the overall impenetrable tank look. When we think of the ankylodocus, this is often what we have in mind. This rendition has also inspired modders and was inevitably made into a mod for JWE as seen below.

Jurassic_World_Evolution_Screens.png

This post is mainly to show that there are still fans out there that would like to see a more armored ankylodocus to be in JWE. The quality of the game's dinosaurs is often outstanding, which is a bit saddening that when the question of 'the least favorite dinosaur' or 'ugliest dinosaur' is brought up, the ankylodocus would often be referenced. The new capability of additional skins that not only add to colors but new models as well makes the inclusion of the more armored ankylodocus possible. And a new addition I would definitely love to see in the game that would give players more options when it comes to how armored their ankylodocus could be.

That and just yesterday, I saw something interesting done to another game I play. Beenox, the developers behind Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled has introduced a character a few months back, Rilla Roo.
1585298502864.png

However, the fans were very divisive on the look the old character has. It was not bad but it felt very off from who they recognize as Rilla Roo from the Crash Bash game. Reddit user u/osoascam, made a photoshop edit of the Gorilla Kangaroo hybrid to match what the fans think the character could look like:

fhgotzu1cu341.png

Only for then, by complete surprise, CTRNF players were given a "New" character aptly named: "Fixed Rilla Roo".

1585298894080.png

What I really love is how Beenox approached this issue. They did not replace Rilla Roo in the game, but introduced an alternative version of that character. Dinosaur designs and character designs go through a lot of process in terms of concept, art, modeling, animation, functionality, gameplay and such. So to outright replace an existing model would be harmful as the old rendition of that character/dinosaur would be gone from the game. And players who love the old character would not like that change. By introducing a new character, they have in turn made both sides of the fandom happy. A methodology I wish to see come to the Ankylodocus. The Ankylodocus has its fans, but it could do with an additional alternative look to cater to the notably big fans who favor the more armored look.

Thank you for reading this post!

Personally, I think it would be more cohesive if there was at least one alternative skin for every species in-game was given an alternative "unique" looking design with a different looking skin and (for certain species) model, while still keeping them grounded to make them feel like they belong within the film series as well as what species they're trying to represent, both which this game specializes in, and they aim for their own designs, rather than copy and paste things (even from other JP franchise games) like they confirmed in a developer showcase livestream a year ago, even to myself a year and a half ago on Twitter. And I do agree an alternate Ankylodocus can be one with an alternate skin and model at the same time. The only problem I see some people criticize about in regards to its visual design, and I do kinda see their point, is that the Ankylodocus doesn't have enough of that ankylosaurus kinda look and feel for their likings.

When it comes to dinosaur hybrids, I like to think about the possible multiple designs you could come up with, as long as they look and feel right depending on where you imagine them. Meaning I believe that, if there were to be a pack or something to bring in a single alternative skin and, for certain species, a new model, the three Dr. Wu hybrids (Ankylodocus, Stegoceratops, and Spinoraptor) can all be perfect candidates to have both an alternate design option.

For a game like this, that design that DeviantArtist Tapwing made feels like it can belong in both the game and the film series. Of course, I doubt the exact design would make it in, but that doesn't mean it can be taken as an inspiration for anything. My only advise for something like this, should it be a thing for the Ankylodocus, is to keep the neck long as it is now because I think the drawing's neck is too short from what it is in the game, keep the club tail grounded to what it looks like with the JW ankylosaurus like it currently does and in that mod photo above to make the tail feel like so, and to give the whole body a unique pattern (like, again, in the mod photo above) and color so that it does not feel like another Null Gene or feel too similar to any of its current alternate cosmetic options, that way it can stand out a lot more for the general audience.

These are the other hybrid designs I think can work should this idea of ours does become a thing:

Stegoceratops:
stegoceratops_v01_004_B.jpg

Although it never made it into Jurassic World, a full fledged model was still made for it, and the basic 3D model shape was still used on-screen in a computer monitor. On-screen designs I believe have the best chance of making it into the game in general, even if it was just the basic 3D model for this hybrid, so there you have it.

Spinoraptor:
reimagined_spinoraptor_by_tapwing_dctgqa0-fullview.jpg

Also made by Tapwing, this basic design differs from the Spinoraptor in the franchise. It has a more spinosaur looking skull and the sail, while still present, is less pronounced wit ha different shape. Whereas the hybrid in both official franchise appearances have a raptor looking head and a very pronounced spinosaurus looking sail.

And what they both have in common is this: A unique model, pattern, and color. Completely different from the ones in-game, and perfect for a single alternative design for a different modeled dinosaur cosmetic option.

I agree on the notion that - if possible - that every dinosaur with a notable alternative skin possibility could be included in the game. Mainly as having alternatives give players more choice in what dinosaurs they could breed in their parks.

I went with the ankylodocus on this one as I recall seeing it having the most conflicting feedback and is often on the least favorites list that players would have, and that the potential it has to fill in the niche of an armored tank is still possible. I

do recall that concept art of the stegoceratops and the spinoraptor look by Tapwig is really cool!. I mainly see hybrids as a good candidate for alternative skins as they are genetically modified. So we could have an ankylodocus with more diplodocus traits or more ankylosaur traits, the stegoceratops with a more triceratops looking head or stegosaurus looking head, or a spinoraptor that looks more wetland oriented or terrestrial.

One thing I do have to note is that I limited to the ankylodocus as I think that an inclusion like this could be part of an update rather than a DLC skin pack. The DLC skin packs we have seen so far have catered to the base game dinosaur rosters and no dinosaur that is part of DLC got new skins. This is because any paid DLC pack that requires DLC is a really shady move to garner more purchases. The most recent act was when EA made the sims 4 cats and dogs expansion pack, and then made a stuff pack for that expansion pack, and you need the expansion pack to buy the stuff pack. Which is a really despicable move and tarnished EA's and the Sims 4 reputation even more.

So if Frontier were to make skins for DLC dinosaurs, I think it will make the most sense if it is part of an update. Something additional that is free for those who have purchased the DLC and would entice other players to get the DLC if the new skin designs are to their liking and help them make the purchase. So it could be similar to the Fallen Kingdom dinosaur pack, but a skin pack that expands on a chapter DLC. Freshening up old content.

I would be okay if it was just the ankylodocus, but if it comes in a set of 3 for the hybrids, where we have an ankylodocus with more ankylosaur features, a stegoceratops skin that is similar to the JW concept art, and a spinoraptor alternative skin that would let the art team flex their creativity, then I am up for it! But if resources would allow for a single dinosaur alternative skin, I would like the ankylodocus to get that alternative skin.

I agree on the notion that - if possible - that every dinosaur with a notable alternative skin possibility could be included in the game. Mainly as having alternatives give players more choice in what dinosaurs they could breed in their parks.

I went with the ankylodocus on this one as I recall seeing it having the most conflicting feedback and is often on the least favorites list that players would have, and that the potential it has to fill in the niche of an armored tank is still possible. I

do recall that concept art of the stegoceratops and the spinoraptor look by Tapwig is really cool!. I mainly see hybrids as a good candidate for alternative skins as they are genetically modified. So we could have an ankylodocus with more diplodocus traits or more ankylosaur traits, the stegoceratops with a more triceratops looking head or stegosaurus looking head, or a spinoraptor that looks more wetland oriented or terrestrial.

One thing I do have to note is that I limited to the ankylodocus as I think that an inclusion like this could be part of an update rather than a DLC skin pack. The DLC skin packs we have seen so far have catered to the base game dinosaur rosters and no dinosaur that is part of DLC got new skins. This is because any paid DLC pack that requires DLC is a really shady move to garner more purchases. The most recent act was when EA made the sims 4 cats and dogs expansion pack, and then made a stuff pack for that expansion pack, and you need the expansion pack to buy the stuff pack. Which is a really despicable move and tarnished EA's and the Sims 4 reputation even more.

So if Frontier were to make skins for DLC dinosaurs, I think it will make the most sense if it is part of an update. Something additional that is free for those who have purchased the DLC and would entice other players to get the DLC if the new skin designs are to their liking and help them make the purchase. So it could be similar to the Fallen Kingdom dinosaur pack, but a skin pack that expands on a chapter DLC. Freshening up old content.

I would be okay if it was just the ankylodocus, but if it comes in a set of 3 for the hybrids, where we have an ankylodocus with more ankylosaur features, a stegoceratops skin that is similar to the JW concept art, and a spinoraptor alternative skin that would let the art team flex their creativity, then I am up for it! But if resources would allow for a single dinosaur alternative skin, I would like the ankylodocus to get that alternative skin.
I think a special DLC can work because it makes them feel a lot more special and rewarding, even if its for DLC exclusives. What I imagine is, when you advertise them with images, you don't have to show what DLC exclusive dinosaurs can receive them, but you can just show off and say this is what some of your base game dinos can receive and, if you get any of the DLCs, those dinos can get them, but you won't know what they look like unless you get them.

This is what I learned: Besides adding more content to the game in general, in a business production sense in the industry, the goal of PDLCs is not to reward people with a certain amount of content for how much consumers have to charge, the goal of PDLCs is to make up the amount of resources and labor you put on making the content you are selling. Besides, it's not like you're life needs to pay for anything video game related unless you feel like doing it.

There are a few dinosaurs that I think could do with a re-model or model tweek, and this method would mean nobody is disappointed if they like the old models. Ones that spring to mind for me are acrocanthosaurus, deinonychus and ankylodocus.

Top Bottom