An announcement of a future amazing and wonderful announcement.

What is going on Frontier? - you have the worst concept of PR in the known Universe.
Give your players a clue at least about what is coming.
Build some hype or expectation. Not a another year of player speculation.
What is that going to achieve besides player negativity?

If you're making Atmospheric Landings, Space Legs or something else in the distant future - why not say so?
Other games manage to state their intentions. And are judged accordingly if they deliver or not.
All these announcements of coming announcements is just getting ridiculous and borderline insulting.

And another announcement of a future announcement of LEP's getting something. It's a mystery of course.
How about give them a couple of paintjobs now due to the delay and then give them the mysterious something else in the future.
Will it really cut into your bottom line giving away a few digital objects?

Terrible PR [down] Thanks Cmdr Bellicose I stole your line for a thread title :)

I think the purpose of the announcement was to announce the delay in ice planet specific rendering and fleet carriers. Given the negative news, there had to be some positive to offset it. There is a sandwich that market people talk about - which if you deconstruct the announcement is the filling.

Simon

What is going on Frontier? - you have the worst concept of PR in the known Universe.

If you're making Atmospheric Landings, Space Legs or something else in the distant future - why not say so?
Other games manage to state their intentions. And are judged accordingly if they deliver or not.
All these announcements of coming announcements is just getting ridiculous and borderline insulting.

And another announcement of a future announcement of LEP's getting something. It's a mystery of course.
How about give them a couple of paintjobs now due to the delay and then give them the mysterious something else in the future.

Terrible PR [down] Thanks Cmdr Bellicose I stole your line for a thread title :)

I agree that they should have teased us about what it is, I thought that's what I was getting to in that post.

Zac said that they won't mention anymore until after Beyond so we may not have to wait long for information about it. Still, I'm not sure why they told us they were working on something big, without revealing anything about it, when we already kinda knew that from David Braben's recent comments.

It's good to have confirmation that it's in full production I suppose. But in regards to this section, it was pretty much just another announcement of an announcement that, "we'll talk about it later".

Deadlines and features are subject to change.
Announcing deadlines and features creates expectation.
Deadlines and features change.
Expectation not fullfilled.
Much gnashing and grinding of teeth!

To me the announcement of them working on something spectacular was just a sweetener to soften us up about the cancellation of the carriers, iceplanets and premium content.

Guys,...
Carriers are out.....
Iceplanets are out too....
Premium content? uhm yeah about that,........ it's out too..

But!!!!!!! we're working on something incredible, it won't be soon and we can't talk about it but it will be awesome, yup hmm hmm.

To me the announcement of them working on something spectacular was just a sweetener to soften us up about the cancellation of the carriers, iceplanets and premium content.

Guys,...
Carriers are out.....

But!!!!!!! we're working on something incredible, it won't be soon and we can't talk about it but it will be awesome, yup hmm hmm.

Not actually. There are new gameplay added to Q4 which they will reveal soon. That's what Zac talked about first hand.

Because they are not doing those things. As badly as this game needs to pull in new players, if they were doing those things, they would say so. They aren't.

Which is no surprise. Do remember that Brett just confessed on these forums, that the tech cant deliver those promised mechanics. They arent in the works. I really believe FDEV is putting this game to bed. I would be happy to be proven wrong at some vague future date, but...honestly, I think its Maintenance Mode.

Certainly Frontier's PR approach appears to have been stolen from the Empire on occasion.

On the other hand, given that the major negative content of the announcement was "Things which we previously expected to be available on <date> and announced on that basis now will not be" I'm really not sure that announcing "And these specific other things which we don't even have a full project plan for yet will be available later" would really be a good idea.

Guys,...
Carriers are out.....

It's proably on the same level as "winter is coming" and we know, how thats turned out [big grin]

Not actually. There are new gameplay added to Q4 which they will reveal soon. That's what Zac talked about first hand.

By now they gave me a pretty good idea of what they mean by gameplay, repetitive and unimaginative mechanics.

They tried to be transparent with the announcement but all they did was raise expectations with soap bubbles.
The only thing that was clear in Zac's post were the features they're postponing or canceling.

But hey if you still have all the confidence in FD, good for you, I don't.
I wouldn't be surprised if Q4 will be full of the same repetitive unimaginative gameplay,.....again.
I'd like to be proven wrong, I realy liked ED, it was the only game I was interested in but with the introduction of the guardian grinds I became genuinely disappointed, and they're just continuing this mechanic with every new add on.
Yeah the Guardian stuff looks cool but when you add this kind of content don't you want everybody to enjoy it and not just a handful of people who think grinding for materials is fun?
I'm not saying they should just give it to us, although that would be better then the present mechanic, but to make it more accessible to everyone.
I don't understand why they introduce cool stuff, make vids about it even, and then lock them behind a grindwall.

We'll just have to wait and see how Q4 will turn out, but those hyping promises of things to come without any detail or timeframe don't get me excited at all.

somehow it reminds me of trump's rethorik.

We will make ED great again.

But i won't tell you how, because, we would than have to write another anouncment to anounce the biggest and greatest wating loop of all time.

I kinda just assumed that the reason they didn't specify what the "amazing new content" was, is that its something pretty ambitious like atmospheric landing or space legs and if they screw it up and it turns out to be impossible or impractical they can always just downgrade the scope of the content to something salvageable like only gas giants and say "well that's what we intended all along, amazing right?" with nobody being the wiser.

Are you suggesting that they would announce something before they know whether they can deliver it.
And do not tell us what it is because they have no confidence in their plan to deliver it.
And do not tell us when because they have no confidence in their plan to deliver it on time.
Honestly, just look at their histroy.... oh hang on.

So, stuff cancelled or delayed. Other stuff to come. Not specified but amazing, honestly. When, well some time in the future.

Here's hoping. Genuinely. Probably against hope.

Motherhood-and-apple pie except for the cancelations.
But here's hoping. I am forever optimistic.

somehow it reminds me of trump's rethorik.

We will make ED great again.

But i won't tell you how, because, we would than have to write another anouncment to anounce the biggest and greatest wating loop of all time.

LOL.

Frontier (read in Trump's voice) said:
WE are going to build a great expansion, the Best expansion. It's going to be tremendous, better than anything anyone else has ever expanded. And when I say expanded I mean...whew, swoooshsss! Soo BIG. It's going to be bigly, just fantastic.

And the content, WOW, such great content. I've seen it you know, of course I can't talk about it, but if I could you'd be so very happy with the content. And the colors, fantastic colors, the Best you've seen, believe me.

So much so that I can't say what it is yet. YOu know, because of the stuff, the lawyers tell me. I don't know, but truth. You're going to love it, trust me. Believe me, tremendous things are going to be expanded on.

Anyday now really, you'll see soon. Sooner than you think too. Wonderful stuff, so tremendous, and so soon. And tremendously bigly.

While FD are bad at PR, I agree, I don't see really how they could have done this differently. I prefer finished features, than rushed-to-a-deadline features.

Yes they could have done this much better.

Braben got up on stage and announced fleet carriers he should have got on a livestream and spoken to us directly about the delay.

I understand that i bought into a half finished game. I support that fully. However, Squadrons are first year material. Period. It’s not worth the wait and calling it a win is childish.

All of this being said we absolutely have a right to expectations of decent public relations and communication from Fdev.

By dropping this information in a forum post an hour before the weekend shows us exactly what Braben and the devs think of us. Ie We’re not worth them taking responsibility for this failure to deliver.

Top Bottom