An end to long Haul FSDs

I think it's time frontier provide the players a way to travel to any planet we wish using the FSD, still keeping the range as is.

With the new partial cargo mission system it does make the grind of flying from port to planet and so on longer, partly because of going back to collect the remaining mission cargo, this will now increase the tedious flight time of missions.

So instead of only jumping to the systems star we need to be able to go direct to the planet or port/closest planet to it in order to jump via FSD.

This cant be an impossible idea to achieve, it's a game and would be a lot simply than creating the whole atmos: planets & space legs idea.

By implementing planet to planet jump would cut down endless watching the screen for what amounts to hours of wasted time and energy and fun game play element, we have all been their hands free eating a cheese and chutney sandwich waiting.....and waiting...Hours of game play.

Now for the players that will say oh but I like that, that's fine you can still choose the star to fsd to and travel long haul for as long as you like, but there needs to be an option to by pass this as well.

This would bring richer game play and speed up the immersion side of things for players and open other possibilities to explore and discover.

So by jumping directly to your destination you avoid all interdictions and scans. You also lose a core feature of the game: the impression of the vastness of space.

I mean, if it's all so tedious, why not play a text-based trading simulator? No need to do ANY jumping/flying, just accept missions/cargo, select "buy", then select the target system and hit "sell". (And no I'm not kidding, there are implementations/clones of Elite's (the original) trading system with a text-based interface. IIRC there was even a phone version which simulated pirate attacks with the outcome being decided based on relative ship loadouts and a small amount of RNG).

As for partial cargo, you're not forced to accept missions with that much cargo. If there aren't any/few for your ship size then that's a petition to FDev to ensure missions offered are scaled more towards the ship you're currently flying.

At the end of the day, we -already- do cargo runs via standard trading. I'm not sure why FDev decided adding missions to carry the standard commodities was a good idea. Probably just easy to do.

I agree with this, while it is a pest getting interdicted 3 times on a reasonably long route if I can avoid all of that then the trading itself is literally just Button clicks and mouse movement for several minutes with no risk and a payout at the end.

Trading is “easy” enough as is without removing all risk from it all together

So by jumping directly to your destination you avoid all interdictions and scans. You also lose a core feature of the game: the impression of the vastness of space.

I mean, if it's all so tedious, why not play a text-based trading simulator? No need to do ANY jumping/flying, just accept missions/cargo, select "buy", then select the target system and hit "sell". (And no I'm not kidding, there are implementations/clones of Elite's (the original) trading system with a text-based interface. IIRC there was even a phone version which simulated pirate attacks with the outcome being decided based on relative ship loadouts and a small amount of RNG).

As for partial cargo, you're not forced to accept missions with that much cargo. If there aren't any/few for your ship size then that's a petition to FDev to ensure missions offered are scaled more towards the ship you're currently flying.

At the end of the day, we -already- do cargo runs via standard trading. I'm not sure why FDev decided adding missions to carry the standard commodities was a good idea. Probably just easy to do.

See straight away your showing a very poor response, Firstly I am not even on about interdictions at present they randomly appear though a little to high at this time! as for core gameplay what planet are you on the planet I'm a newb or something, how is core gameplay got anything to do with sitting watching a screen and black space waiting to get to your destination which in some cases takes as long as to make a cup of coffee, feed to dog and have a bite to eat, is that then "core gameplay" correct me if im wrong but I was always lead to believe that playing a computer game was a hands on thing, and not about staring at your monitor for what seems half the time where trading is concerned.!

Partial cargo is currently not the greatest feature atm and has its issues of general information however is a proven fact! that just adds to the flight grind, try it...

And as for text based game as you suggest I might just give that a try as at least It involves me actually playing the game and not making my lunch so thanks for the tip... rep+ in the post !

See straight away your showing a very poor response, Firstly I am not even on about interdictions at present they randomly appear though a little to high at this time!
Not sure what you mean about "poor response". Sorry if I'm not onboard with your suggestion. Firstly, it (an intra-system jump or jump-gates or similar) has been suggested MANY MANY times before. Secondly, by getting rid of supercruise or adding mechanisms to circumvent it, you get rid of many game elements. Interdictions are one. USS's (as poor a mechanism as they are) are another. And yes, the sense of scale of travelling between stars is something which is core to Elite. Not every game has to be 100% adrenaline all the time.

I'm sorry it's not for you, but there are plenty of games which are non-stop action which you might enjoy more.

As for more constructive feedback, how about planning your travel/missions so that you don't have long supercruise distances to fly? There are more than enough systems and when you read a mission brief it'll tell you the destination distance. Yes, it might mean skipping the more lucrative missions, but there's a reason they are paying more - they take longer and hence also have higher risk of getting interdicted.

as for core gameplay what planet are you on the planet I'm a newb or something, how is core gameplay got anything to do with sitting watching a screen and black space waiting to get to your destination which in some cases takes as long as to make a cup of coffee, feed to dog and have a bite to eat, is that then "core gameplay" correct me if im wrong but I was always lead to believe that playing a computer game was a hands on thing, and not about staring at your monitor for what seems half the time where trading is concerned.!
I answered this above already..

Partial cargo is currently not the greatest feature atm and has its issues of general information however is a proven fact! that just adds to the flight grind, try it...
I have. And I plan it so that I take missions on my way back to fetch the remaining cargo. No need to "waste" the return trip.

And as for text based game as you suggest I might just give that a try as at least It involves me actually playing the game and not making my lunch so thanks for the tip... rep+ in the post !
Lol, good on you for not taking it the wrong way!

And I just found it. It wasn't for a phone - it was for the Palm Pilot! Called "Space Trader".

I think it's time frontier provide the players a way to travel to any planet we wish using the FSD, still keeping the range as is.

With the new partial cargo mission system it does make the grind of flying from port to planet and so on longer, partly because of going back to collect the remaining mission cargo, this will now increase the tedious flight time of missions.

So instead of only jumping to the systems star we need to be able to go direct to the planet or port/closest planet to it in order to jump via FSD.

This cant be an impossible idea to achieve, it's a game and would be a lot simply than creating the whole atmos: planets & space legs idea.

By implementing planet to planet jump would cut down endless watching the screen for what amounts to hours of wasted time and energy and fun game play element, we have all been their hands free eating a cheese and chutney sandwich waiting.....and waiting...Hours of game play.

Now for the players that will say oh but I like that, that's fine you can still choose the star to fsd to and travel long haul for as long as you like, but there needs to be an option to by pass this as well.

This would bring richer game play and speed up the immersion side of things for players and open other possibilities to explore and discover.

I do not get your gripe with the partial delivery of cargo. It still up to you if want to accept the mission or not. It is your option. Before you would not be able to take a mission to deliver 180T of something if you only could carry 128T, now you can, and it is up to you if you want to add more cargo racks or decide to do two trips...

So you are now blaming someone else for your own decision of ACCEPTING a mission and then later discover that you cannot carry everything in one go.

And for your other suggestion about jumping straight to planets, that is big no, once again, you are given information before hand, on how far away the destination is, and it up to you decide if you want to accept the mission or not. I do not see how you suggestion would improve anything, since you are now skiping several game mechanics, and your suggestion that those that do not like this can do it the old way, is terrible answer.... So what will you replace the mechanics with NPC going after you for your cargo/passengers? Oh wait, you probably want to eliminate these as well.... why even bother with travel at all, why not just have instant teleportation between stations when you are at it?

I agree with this, while it is a pest getting interdicted 3 times on a reasonably long route if I can avoid all of that then the trading itself is literally just Button clicks and mouse movement for several minutes with no risk and a payout at the end.

Trading is “easy” enough as is without removing all risk from it all together

How about if MORE interdiction was added?

Some way that a hostile could deploy something, that sucks in hyperspace jumps. So, you go somewhere and deploy the gadget.

The effect starts, and anyone jumping nearby has a chance to land on your device, rather than their intended target.

The best part? It's a surprise! Will you get an unshielded T9? Or a fully armed and PVP fit Anaconda who's having a bad day and does NOT appreciate the detour? NPCs, military ships, random Sidewinders, maybe even a Thargoid.

I mean, it's Elite Dangerous, right? Why should that mean only dangerous for haulers? :p

How about if MORE interdiction was added?

Some way that a hostile could deploy something, that sucks in hyperspace jumps. So, you go somewhere and deploy the gadget.

The effect starts, and anyone jumping nearby has a chance to land on your device, rather than their intended target.

The best part? It's a surprise! Will you get an unshielded T9? Or a fully armed and PVP fit Anaconda who's having a bad day and does NOT appreciate the detour? NPCs, military ships, random Sidewinders, maybe even a Thargoid.

I mean, it's Elite Dangerous, right? Why should that mean only dangerous for haulers? :p

There already is, it's called hyperdiction, the thargoids do it.

More way for griefers to get targets, they'll just hang around at popular destination hyperdicting everyone.

And finally another misunderstanding of the origin of the games name.

Not sure what you mean about "poor response". Sorry if I'm not onboard with your suggestion. Firstly, it (an intra-system jump or jump-gates or similar) has been suggested MANY MANY times before. Secondly, by getting rid of supercruise or adding mechanisms to circumvent it, you get rid of many game elements. Interdictions are one. USS's (as poor a mechanism as they are) are another. And yes, the sense of scale of travelling between stars is something which is core to Elite. Not every game has to be 100% adrenaline all the time.

I'm sorry it's not for you, but there are plenty of games which are non-stop action which you might enjoy more.

Hmm Unlike many Young game players of today I am not in that category, I'm not into that call of duty rubbish which is a added bonus, I want a mix of game play much like yourself, I am not ruling out interdiction's, but giving the players an option of travel. If you say cutting out the travel time will cause other issues in the game, but with it can make progress in other ways, I certainly am not the get rich quick gold rush missions in fact never done them, haven't done powerplay, wings, even thargoid attacks, not interesting in fact i am trying to stick to frontier's original concept of blaze my own way... of which I have done since being a beta backer, years ago, so I want the best for the game because I have poured a lot of time and money into it, So adding suggestions for improved game play for ALL is very important to me.

I understand many many elements have been suggestion in the forum not that frontier do listen that intently these last years or so, thing is I have read hundreds of great and amazing ideas from the community that i would to see in the game, but again frontier seem to be just sticking to their own chosen path, which makes me wonder sometimes why we have a community at all. It is unfortunate that frontier are very poor at communication and weak at fixing elements of the game.

For players it seems like a endless waiting game getting content they don't want and not having things fixed they do want, it's always industry standard now. So now we wait and continue to endlessly write our woes about the game in a hope that they might pick up on it, I guess many people feel if they drone on about the same thing long enough something will be done.

As for more constructive feedback, how about planning your travel/missions so that you don't have long supercruise distances to fly? There are more than enough systems and when you read a mission brief it'll tell you the destination distance. Yes, it might mean skipping the more lucrative missions, but there's a reason they are paying more - they take longer and hence also have higher risk of getting interdicted.

I answered this above already..

I have. And I plan it so that I take missions on my way back to fetch the remaining cargo. No need to "waste" the return trip.

Partial cargo runs do need a serious buff of improvements again with many areas of the mission board, it feels rushed and slapped together to keep players happy for about 3 days, it is the same drill with frontier, more so know, because they are not using the beta testers that we all signed up for years ago, its another waste of resources that frontier could use to gather information.!

Lol, good on you for not taking it the wrong way!

And I just found it. It wasn't for a phone - it was for the Palm Pilot! Called "Space Trader".
think i've heard of this one...lol

I do not get your gripe with the partial delivery of cargo. It still up to you if want to accept the mission or not. It is your option. Before you would not be able to take a mission to deliver 180T of something if you only could carry 128T, now you can, and it is up to you if you want to add more cargo racks or decide to do two trips...

So you are now blaming someone else for your own decision of ACCEPTING a mission and then later discover that you cannot carry everything in one go.

And for your other suggestion about jumping straight to planets, that is big no, once again, you are given information before hand, on how far away the destination is, and it up to you decide if you want to accept the mission or not. I do not see how you suggestion would improve anything, since you are now skiping several game mechanics, and your suggestion that those that do not like this can do it the old way, is terrible answer.... So what will you replace the mechanics with NPC going after you for your cargo/passengers? Oh wait, you probably want to eliminate these as well.... why even bother with travel at all, why not just have instant teleportation between stations when you are at it?

You not understanding or read what i have put down here but clearly gone into sarcastic mode (not cool) my meaning for partial cargo is the increase travel times yes for example:
you choose your mission your hold becomes almost full, you find a last cargo mission you can only take part of it yes...
When you decide to take part of it, off you go to the destinations once complete and lets say your partial cargo mission is the last drop, you now have to go back to collect the rest, which = extra flight time on partial cargo collect are you following me....!

So if you didn't have the partial cargo then you would be at the last station / destination you dropped at, empty ready to take on more cargo missions, and not be slightly hindered by having to go back for the partial cargo mission, thus adding flight time.

the other compliant with this system that needs buffing is that there is no in flight info: on where you got the cargo from in the first place that only shows as far as I can see in stations / ports, which is daft and again adds grind to the gameplay.

Space travel...
My meaning for slightly faster flight time was an option for players for time runs or quick drop missions, you can still have the standard FSD to the system star for longer flights and the so called immersive go make a sandwich while travel through the space inky black space, but both give more gameplay more options, more immersion, because lets face it frontier is struggling with many aspects right now, and say any different they clearly may not have not been playing long.

Their is always room for improvements, always will this one of many hundreds of ideas from players is at least something for the devs to consider or look into.

Unless your a YES man and feel everything is working normally of course?

How will I spot all those tasty HGE / Combat Aftermath USS if I skip the SC cruise? Looks like OP needs to invest in a Palm Pilot ;)

Top Bottom