An essay to FDev:

Honestly, I think if FD revealed their complete roadmap a large portion of us would be so horrified we’d give up on the game.

Imagine now if we all knew for an absolute fact that we wouldn’t ever be getting...

New SRV’s
Panther Clipper
Military ranks fleshed out properly
HUD colour changes
CQC update
Powerplay update
Spacelegs
Atmospheric landings

...insert your most wanted feature^

I don’t think they can afford to reveal their plans, it’d probably be met with a tide of disappointment and people freaking out.
On the pro side, it's only about 3477 people on this forum flipping out, all others are happily playing the game :LOL:

Honestly, I think if FD revealed their complete roadmap a large portion of us would be so horrified we’d give up on the game.

Imagine now if we all knew for an absolute fact that we wouldn’t ever be getting...

New SRV’s
Panther Clipper
HUD colour changes
CQC update
Powerplay update
Spacelegs
Atmospheric landings

I don’t think they can afford to reveal their plans, it’d probably be met with a tide of disappointment and people freaking out.
They also wouldn't benefit from it at all. The time to announce a big change is shortly before it's released: not only can you be sure that it'll actually be ready on time (always a huge issue with these roadmaps), but it'll also build hype and get new players buying.

Telling a relatively small, predominantly moany forum what they're aiming to include in the 2020 DLC really does not take any kind of priority over making money from the ruddy thing.

They have no internal process. Because none of their devs play their own game. If you explored any other facet of the game besides trade and exploration, you would already know this. So stop acting like the devs really know what they're doing. The drag munitions buff was so blatantly overpowered that I could lock down an entire system's traffic for a day on my own.
There's a lot of assumptions in just this paragraph.
I know several people at FDev, as many in these forums probably do, and they actually play their games. Some get more hours in than I manage to play!

Your argument is all smoke and that discredits all the rest of what you're trying to say in this thread.

I'm still yet to see a solid reason why FDev "owe" us anything with regards to their development program; it's not our business (and if you paid your £7 I think you got your worth) and if they choose to do something, then that's their choice - and I honestly think they DO have a long term plan. If they genuinely read every thread like this and reacted, we'd still be in Alpha... well, actually I think FDev would have gone under years ago.

It's still just a game. We might be a great, thorough, close-knit community, but to us it's a game, to them it's a business. Whilst I do think it'd be nice to know more about what is going on, or why things aren't getting done (mainly bugs), it's still not on FDev to blog the whole bloody thing on the internet. Do YOU like people looking over your shoulder when you're working? No, in most cases you do not. Let them get on with it. If they fail, they fail. Most of us are our own person and can find something else to do.

That wasn't supposed to be a rant. Sorry. I'm not white-kniting either; I just have bigger worries in life and Elite is an escape from them. I genuinely get what I want from it. I try not to focus on the things I cannot change.
You sir, are a hero.

It's sad that in simply having the attitude that 'it's just a game' is seen as "white knighting" but it's something people need to reflect on more about themselves than anything else.
It is just a game. A consumer item that a company made for you to consume. You're not going to enjoy every purchase you make in life and if you're that heated about it, move on. There's more than enough others who do enjoy it and they'll continue to do so regardless of your "essays" to try and tell them otherwise or demand that the company who created it change it specifically for you.

New SRV’s
Panther Clipper
HUD colour changes
CQC update
Powerplay update
Spacelegs
Atmospheric landings

In fairness if they said the Panther Clipper was never coming I would be very disappointed. They wouldn't necessarily have to go into that great detail. Rather a broad and perhaps slightly generalised overview of what they want to see eventually could give the community a fair idea. It would be entirely reasonable to say 'we want to do x or y but right now can't, however, in the meantime here's z.

As I said before while I acknowledge some frustrations my personal view is that the game remains excellent. So good it is my general go to game

You sir, are a hero.

It's sad that in simply having the attitude that 'it's just a game' is seen as "white knighting" but it's something people need to reflect on more about themselves than anything else.
It is just a game. A consumer item that a company made for you to consume. You're not going to enjoy every purchase you make in life and if you're that heated about it, move on. There's more than enough others who do enjoy it and they'll continue to do so regardless of your "essays" to try and tell them otherwise or demand that the company who created it change it specifically for you.

Thank you. It became a bit of a rant as I am passionate about Elite; I have been for nearly 40 years, and I want to see good things from it; hell, they already are good. I'm a bit of a pessimist perhaps, so I'm not expecting much in 2020, nor do I want promises of things that may not happen (so a complete roadmap would be nice, but too easy to beat FDev up with, which will happen anyway) and I hope my tiny mind is blown. If it isn't, then I'll continue to get what I can from the game. <shrugs>

Regarding HUD colours, they never said it's impossible. They just said it's difficult due to the way the HUD is integrated and it's something they want to look at again, but no priority.

There are several possibilities why a hack can now do it:
  • it's doing it in a way that Frontier doesn't want to go for good but unknown reasons
  • Frontier is already working on a HUD colour change which isn't integrated yet, the hack makes use of it
  • Frontier is incompetent when it comes to changing HUD colours
  • something else I didn't think about yet

Atmospheric landings
I would stop playing today and yes, you could have my stuff!

If they already know that their plans will upset the community maybe they should change their plan 🤯

6 months old, sure, but I've done plenty of what there is to do in the game. You have no idea how much void opals can fast track progress. Maxed Fed/Empire rank, traveled to the Southern Nebulas, Betelgeuse, DW2 WP1 (that was in a 23 ly Krait MkII in my third week of playing the game), went through plenty of Guardian space, have most of the engineers (the important ones for PVP at the least), killed a cyclops, killed a medusa, ran rescue missions on burning stations, fought in several powerplay wing fights, 1v1'd a Vette at Shinrarta and won, ganked 30 for 32 interdictions at Cubeo (to prove the drag munitions buff was broken OP), crashed Mitterland Hollow, landed a T10 on a 5g planet, climbed space pumpkins, discovered proto Lagrange clouds. I know many of this game's ins and outs like the back of my hand. The only thing I've left to do is triple elite and dive further into the expanse. Planning on taking a 45 ly T10 out to Colonia and Sag A at some point. That'll be fun. Trust me when I say I know FDev can do better. Unless your expectations of them have dropped so low... then, damn.
You should get out more. Burning out in six months on one game and then believing you own a company that's been successfully trading for 25 years (in it's current guise) and telling them their developers aren't up to your exacting standards ...

Nah.

HUD colors are the elephant in the room, seriously? :D

And no, the simple hack does not exactly what we want, unless turning all NPCs into smurfs is what you want. This would be unacceptable for an ingame option, therefore Frontier haven't added a simple color slider.

And I don't get why people have such a hard on for that. It's definitely not a must have feature. How many games even support that?

a company that's been successfully trading for 25 years (in it's current guise) and telling them their developers aren't up to your exacting standards...

FDEV has not been releasing AAA games for 25 years though and their developers do not have 25 years experience (you can see from the pictures the employees average age). Most of those are only niche games and developers still make rooki mistakes.

There are many things that are almost universally thought of as bad, CQC, Powerplay, the modules I listed and multicrew. To answer your questions would take a lot of time and a solid idea of how this would be implemented, IOW, answer them yourself.

Perhaps in general, but then even those considered experts would disagree on which aspects of each mechanic or feature are the good and the bad, and which proposals would improve it or make it worse. It’s a no win situation in my opinion. There needs to be an overarching vision which should be adhered to, and internal process changes that would bring consistency in the polish and balance of released features.

And what examination is good enough for someone to be an expert? If someone gets a 5 in the AP BC calculus test, does that make him an expert? And FTR, contests are also used as metrics to say if X is an expert, those do exist in ED.

MSCE certifications are one example of a test that demonstrates expertise when passed.

I admit though I’ve never heard of FTR contests, and don’t know what it stands for, so I can’t comment on that.

You imply that the only "reliable" way to see if someone is an expert or not is via a test, I'm telling you that's simply not true and that under that metric FD aren't experts either.

FD, whether considered to be experts in their own game or not, are the ones who must design and develop it, and even if they adopt an ill-advised design by committee approach, ultimately they’re still responsible for the outcomes, so any metric for expertise is irrelevant in relation to them.

If there is a method other than forum or online reputation for determining player expertise, such as the FTR contest you mentioned, that in itself does not also confer expertise in design, which is its own field, and less still expertise in development in general, let alone the constraints inherent in Elite’s code that would determine feasibility of design choices.

That’s why as I stated, player feedback should be accounted for, but not in the context of a collaborative design effort.

There are no cheating revelations.. It has been on for years and already reported to FD many times. Botting also.
Don't really get the actual outcry.

There's a lot of assumptions in just this paragraph.
I know several people at FDev, as many in these forums probably do, and they actually play their games. Some get more hours in than I manage to play!

Your argument is all smoke and that discredits all the rest of what you're trying to say in this thread.

Yes but he is right. Past years history has shown it.

New SRV’s
Panther Clipper
HUD colour changes
CQC update
Powerplay update
Spacelegs
Atmospheric landings

Panther Clipper is already on your PC.

Regarding HUD colours, they never said it's impossible. They just said it's difficult due to the way the HUD is integrated and it's something they want to look at again, but no priority.

There are several possibilities why a hack can now do it:
  • it's doing it in a way that Frontier doesn't want to go for good but unknown reasons
  • Frontier is already working on a HUD colour change which isn't integrated yet, the hack makes use of it
  • Frontier is incompetent when it comes to changing HUD colours
  • something else I didn't think about yet

I could suggest one possibility that is in your list but you would say i am ranting...

I would stop playing today and yes, you could have my stuff!
If they already know that their plans will upset the community maybe they should change their plan 🤯
I know it gets said a lot but I wish they would stop making new stuff and go back and clean shop. The game felt better balanced (to me) pre-thargoids. Then they spent a chunk of time fixing up the mission boards with wing missions/source and return etc....which came with some serious balance issues and bugs.

...then, after all that effort, they drop void opals into the game which negated the need to ever look at a mission board ever again and threw out ship progression.

The credit grind used to be a really good thing for the game. These are just my feels on it though...

Top Bottom