An idea for player-on-player piracy.

I don't play the pirate role or ever PvP, but i was in my Beluga at an engineering system (in open play) when i thought, if someone interdicts me now i don't really have anything to offer a would-be pirate other than the amusement of me exploding, as i'm full of passenger modules and no cargo, and my death will cost me about 10 million credits.

Would there be any major flaws in this thinking, how about if a pirate can ask for a one-off, fixed amount from a player they interdict, the amount of which is determined by the rebuy cost of the ship they are flying? Say maybe 25%?

If the interdicted ship accepts the pirate gets that amount of credits from them and the inability to extort that same person again for 1 day, while the victim in question becomes both unable to fire any weapon and invulnerable to attack from any human player, (including interdiction) until half an hour has passed or they dock at a station. There's probably some reason why this is a bad idea but it's just a thought, what do you think?

Last edited:
The problem is the invulnerability part.

The other problem is transferring credits - just means people could give other accounts loads of credits which FD appear to not want being possible.

The other part is, surely you'd want the pirate to have to disable the ship first or something - I mean, I'd be pretty bored with piracy being just pulling people over and asking for credits, shooting out their engines in the fun part.

The other problem is transferring credits - just means people could give other accounts loads of credits which FD appear to not want being possible.

Isn't piracy between humans a relatively rare thing? if each largest prize only gives out about 2 million credits, and they'd have to use different accounts to extort the same ship then i dont think they are going to make any noticeable amount that comes close to mining for example.

The other part is, surely you'd want the pirate to have to disable the ship first or something - I mean, I'd be pretty bored with piracy being just pulling people over and asking for credits, shooting out their engines in the fun part.

The problem with that is, if the offer doesn't appear in front of the victim's screen and they just see they are being shot at, the natural instinct is to try and escape without conversation, so we end up with what we already have. yeah you're right it's probably unworkable

The problem is that you think someone who interdicts your Beluga at engineering system would be interested in pirating you.
People playing as real pirates are rare. And they will talk to you - roleplaying pirate is more important to them than extorting you for cash (although earning something can be fun too I guess). If you have nothing they're interested in, but you play along, then its all great.
Those other guys just want to see your ship blow up and you cry about it.

Apart from that I really don't think that extortion is such great gameplay mechanic. It could only encourage more advanced players to harass and bully noobs.

Not to mention, scanning the target is slow and gives them time to flee. IMO, manifest scanners should work in supercruise - that way, pirates wouldn't have to interdict targets that don't carry valuables, and interdicted commanders could be (even more) sure the interdicting commander is out for salt.

Naturally, the scanned commander should get an indication that someone is scanning them, and be able to evade or counter it somehow. Maybe there would be a scan arc that one can escape, or countermeasures that can be activated. NPC law enforcement should actively interdict commanders that are evading a cargo scan.

Actually had the same idea a week or so ago, but couldn't work out a way to counter it being exploited & at the same time appease those whom don't want to see logging time increased, which would need to be done so not to make such a piracy mechanic irrelevant.

Naturally, the scanned commander should get an indication that someone is scanning them, and be able to evade or counter it somehow. Maybe there would be a scan arc that one can escape, or countermeasures that can be activated. NPC law enforcement should actively interdict commanders that are evading a cargo scan.

Take note: this would be more actual game play when smuggling, which I'd consider a plus. Also, it would increase the risk, and thus rewards for smuggling should be upped, too. They're too low anyway.

To be perfectly honest the whole piracy thing should be looked at, it's dumb that a manifest scanner even exists as far as I see, might as well just nail it onto the FSS and be done with it... Bonnnggggg "Morbo sees everything, including 3 packets of PG Tips tea bags on the shelf above the sink, give me two of the packets of tea or I will destroy you"

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Would there be any major flaws in this thinking, how about if a pirate can ask for a one-off, fixed amount from a player they interdict, the amount of which is determined by the rebuy cost of the ship they are flying? Say maybe 25%?
This would lead to ships being extorted for credits by CMDRs in ships that didn't have to make any compromise towards "real" piracy, regardless of whether the target was actually carrying anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom