An odd selection of aquatic animals.

For the record, I think an aquatic DLC, that focuses on these animals is absolutely awesome, not only are we finally going to see some of these species that in the case of Asian Small Clawed Otters, Sea lions etc are extremely popular and amazing to look at in zoos, but we to see them dive and swim under water, that is just so incredibly cool, as long as it looks realistic (Thinking how some of the big cats leap in the air and look like superman taking flight) I fully believe that because it took so long, we will really get to see some incredibly smooth transitions and angles in their animations that make it believable and realistic.

So even if that end of the day, we get a grey seal instead of a sea lion, a giant otter instead of an Asian small clawed otter, a King Penguin over an African or Humboldt penguin, it is still totally fine, and it would be tons of fun. It still does not make it any less odd, not necessarily a bad thing. I consider myself pretty odd, and it has worked out just fine for me 😁

Then we have also one of the most understated points of such expansion, how it would affect other animals in the game, would crocodilian animations be upgrade? What about the Hippos? Would be get some fish animations? There is a lot to focus on and be exited for, I get it.

PS: I fully expect at this point an Aquatic DLC in December featuring all those animals minus the Sun Bear, I think that animal believe or not will be a gift to the fans because of all the disappointment after the anniversary. If there was ever a time it would be now, and it makes sense, because it just a mild alteration from the Formosan Bear already in game, probably took them less than a week, based on that amazing video they provided. Still it would be a very welcomed addition. DISCLAIMER THIS IS MY OWN OPINION, AND I COULD VERY LIKELY BE WRONG, SO IF YOU DO NOT GET A FREE SUN BEAR THRU AN UPDATE IN DECEMBER, FRONTIER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MY ACTIVE IMAGINATION, SO NO TANTRUMS, THANK YOU. :p

I think the King penguin makes a lot of sense as it’s more realistic to have than the highly requested Emperor penguin. I do hope we get a South African penguin at some point. They’re also known as Cape penguins, so like Linda pointed out, we didn’t see anything past letter β€œG” I believe which leaves open the possibility.

I had no real preference between Giant otters or Short clawed otters tbh, so long as we got at least one. And I’m quite glad to get another SA animal, since we’re still quite lacking there.

Lastly, I think it was NZFanatic who compared the Grey seal selection to that of the Himalayan brown bear, in that it’s just them being whimsical and choosing a random animal here and again. Certainly a possibility! I do wonder however, because Grey seals are actually quite common around England and the UK, where Frontier is located. So I feel perhaps it’s inclusion is a bit of a tribute to their homeland? Since we have literally zero animals from the UK in game atm. Just a thought!

Then we have also one of the most understated points of such expansion, how it would affect other animals in the game, would crocodilian animations be upgrade? What about the Hippos? Would be get some fish animations? There is a lot to focus on and be exited for, I get it.

To be honest, I'm operating under the assumption that we either don't get these animals for a long time due to the constraints of underwater navigation (I believe the files have been sitting there until they can figure it out), or we'll get them without underwater navigation. Hopefully they can figure that system out.

I have a feeling your right @NZFanatic. I want to be excited.... but I do believe the next dlc will not feature any aquatic animals. I hope I’m wrong but will see. At least frontier seems to obviously have plans for these animals. I have to say PZ reminds me of the original trailer of zoo tycoon 2013 when it first came out. There was a trailer that showed a seal swimming by a viewing area. Also a guest feeding a tortoise with a plant looking kind of afraid. Then two people building a tiger enrichment item together. Then awhile later the new trailer came out and eventually the game and it was nothing like the game shown in the trailer. Very disappointing to anyone that remembers this odd trailer. Anyway my point is maybe we eventually get some features that were featured in that odd trailer that was never shown again in PZ.

Who knows guys, maybe its 4 DLC (1 in Dec 2020, 3 in 2021).
1) King Penguin (Maybe another cold weather pack for Dec?)
2) Grey Seal (Maybe a North American pack?)
3) Giant Otter (Maybe a Amazon pack?)
4) Sun Bear (Maybe a Southeast Asia Pack?)

Who knows guys, maybe its 4 DLC (1 in Dec 2020, 3 in 2021).
1) King Penguin (Maybe another cold weather pack for Dec?)
2) Grey Seal (Maybe a North American pack?)
3) Giant Otter (Maybe a Amazon pack?)
4) Sun Bear (Maybe a Southeast Asia Pack?)
I wish these animals were in game - with more Aquatic plants🌿, swampy plantsπŸ¬πŸ³πŸ‹πŸ¦ˆ and swamp cypressesπŸ‡­πŸ‡² - please Frontier - would top off the year with some stimulating and positive flare to this already amazing gameπŸ™. Could then add great and brilliant new Aquatic themed areas to all of my ongoing and terrifically fun Zoo'sβž•βž•βž•βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸš°πŸšΏπŸ›πŸ›€πŸš€πŸŠβ€β™€οΈπŸŠβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’¦πŸŒŠ

In my humble opinion the gray seal would be a nice choice. The lack of European animals is big. I get it that other continents have more spectacular looking animals and i can only agree with that, but i would love some European animals.

I see some people commenting about the rig not containing females or juvs for the sunbear for example, but when you would look the video back, some animals that are currently in game do not have a female file or juvs file as well. So it absolutely means nothing. They also stated they made over 200 animals using this method. The method is not new, they already used it before the release. So maybe those animals were tested and they found them not fitting. Let's hope not, but is possible.

I wish these animals were in game - with more Aquatic plants🌿, swampy plantsπŸ¬πŸ³πŸ‹πŸ¦ˆ and swamp cypressesπŸ‡­πŸ‡² - please Frontier - would top off the year with some stimulating and positive flare to this already amazing gameπŸ™. Could then add great and brilliant new Aquatic themed areas to all of my ongoing and terrifically fun Zoo'sβž•βž•βž•βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸš°πŸšΏπŸ›πŸ›€πŸš€πŸŠβ€β™€οΈπŸŠβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’¦πŸŒŠ

This is straight out of r/copypasta

Sure thing, here is the link, it is an interesting video, the leaks start at around the 18 minute mark. You will need to stop it and just focus on the screen behind the Devs, you will find the Sun Bear, King Penguin, Grey Seal and Giant Otter, they are in a variety of completion stages as not every single species has all the rigs completed.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NSndf71o7c

Not really a leak when it appears to be a fully sanctioned video from Frontier. People really need to learn what qualifies as a real leak. A leak would be if one of those designers or other member of the team went to a third party with information that Frontier, in no way, wanted to get out. Anything else is either intentional marketing or a good old fashioned **** up. A real leak usually involves breaching confidentiality.

Not really a leak when it appears to be a fully sanctioned video from Frontier. People really need to learn what qualifies as a real leak. A leak would be if one of those designers or other member of the team went to a third party with information that Frontier, in no way, wanted to get out. Anything else is either intentional marketing or a good old fashioned **** up. A real leak usually involves breaching confidentiality.

I agree, it was never a leak, but that is the way most people here refer to the video. Definitely released intentionally, no question.

I agree, it was never a leak, but that is the way most people here refer to the video. Definitely released intentionally, no question.

Eh, to me, "intentional" implies "this will get them going". IMO it felt more like a "we don't care how many people see this" rather than a "we want a lot of people to see this".

Eh, to me, "intentional" implies "this will get them going". IMO it felt more like a "we don't care how many people see this" rather than a "we want a lot of people to see this".

Reason why many call it a leak I guess. The video was obviously private and geared either as an internal means of communication (maybe training new hires) or possibly something shared with others within that industry (for a purpose) Due to all the negative publicity in the weeks leading up to its release/leak, so for me it is an intentional release, as nothing else would make any sense. It would be interested if anyone with advance tech knowledge would have dissected it and affirm when was it recorded, unless it was already revealed? That would be the real telling point, since many things in there were works in progress, so if it was recorded a month ago or two, that would certainly make a big difference.

Size of an King pinguin is the reason why it makes more sense than the africian pinguin. Which I could understand if thats te case.

I would be very happy with a seal, pinguin and otter. Especially if this means diving animation. However, that would mean two big updates (animal talks and diving). Just curious what Frontier will announce themselves.

It would be interested if anyone with advance tech knowledge would have dissected it and affirm when was it recorded, unless it was already revealed? That would be the real telling point, since many things in there were works in progress, so if it was recorded a month ago or two, that would certainly make a big difference.

This is impossible to tell, you would need the original files, but since they tell Frontier is 26 years old you could assume it is from 2020 (founded in 1994) and they state they work at home, so yeah, def 2020. I do believe however it was not the plan of Frontier to make this public, it does sound like a meeting with other developers that are interested in the progress and techniques used in PZ. Especially rigging. It is hidden for a reason, the problem is that when someone shares the link, there is always someone that will download the video right away, so taking it down wouldn't make a difference, the damage was done.

Well, looks like it is going to be aquatic animals then, which is nice. Bit of a bummer that we already have an idea of what animals it's going to include.

I can't wait for the Seal. I love Seals and my Zoo would finally have a new native Species. If I could, I would already start to build a Enclosure and I do also already have a awesome Design Idea for a Penguin House (sadly I can't already start to build because for some Reason Windows 10 crashes a few Minutes after I've started a GameπŸ˜‘)

Oh and to be honest I am not sure if the giant otter would even be in the same dlc as the penguin and seal. As it seem the giant otter and sun bear are not finished, and only had 1 model. All the finished had 3 models for male,female and juvenile. So, maybe the otters will not be part of the same DLC.

I wouldn't put too much focus on how many assets there were, it might just mean the model or its rig was still in the finishing stages,
or it wasn't cleared yet, was in review or reworked on.

I can't wait for the Seal

Neither can I :D The grey seal is an animal I hoped for aswell and an animal I always hope to see wild (but always failed, though I guess I am not often enough at the North Sea and then always at the wrong time and placeπŸ˜…)

So for me the grey seal is a great choice and the other leaked animals are very nice aswell.
I just hope we will really get them (all or at least one/some of them) on the 8th - the sings are there at least, but we will see very soon😁

Can I revise my post, now that it's sure that we indeed only get the species that we get? It is an odd animal selection. Personally, I still wnat these species, but at least another otter species and an easier to keep penguin species is absolutely necessary for those of us who like to buld realistic zoos on a shorter budget.

Can I revise my post, now that it's sure that we indeed only get the species that we get? It is an odd animal selection. Personally, I still wnat these species, but at least another otter species and an easier to keep penguin species is absolutely necessary for those of us who like to buld realistic zoos on a shorter budget.

You know I honestly wished I had never written this thread, because it might seem ungrateful, or that I did not care for the species in the DLC, and this is definitely not the case. They are magnificent, it was truly just an minor observation of an odd selection process based on the assumption at the time, that sea lions, pelicans, ducks, Asian small clawed otters, African penguins, capybaras etc. would not be included in the DLC. As you well said now the assumption becomes certainty.

My biggest point of contention here are not even the species selected but the overall size of the DLC. As you and others have so eloquently noted, four species for something we have waited so long for, is just not enough. It never really was enough, but I guess it really shows in this DLC. Many have said that we can still receive all of those species down the line, and I'm sure that might we receive a couple of them, but the trouble is that if they are stuck in this four habitat species format, then those species will always come at the cost of others.

For argument sake, let us say Frontier releases a traditional four animals North American DLC, and a Californian Sea Lion is included, that species took someone's spot, and there are so many other iconic species to the continent: Florida Panther, American Alligator, Wolverine, Moose, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Manatee etc. At the end I just do not see a way out of disappointment unless the four animal DLC model is discontinued, at least for me. This release makes me question my initial assessment that when they release their birds DLC we will definitely get a lot more than 4 species, we might just receive exactly that.

Something needs to change, and I'm not entirely sure that it will. Given all the circumstances surrounding this release, it does seem that majority here are ok with the current format, so there might not be a pressing need for Frontier to reshape their strategy towards this. Before anyone who might not be familiar with my stance on this replies that longer waiting periods in order to receive larger DLCs is not sustainable, please know that is not what I'm advocating for. I rather we had a DLC every week if that was even possible in this world, lol, I just rather Frontier devotes more human resources to this game, so bigger DLCs are a possibility, at a higher cost, within the same time frame.

Top Bottom