Modes An old gripe, revisited... [apologies]

I know this has been mentioned a thousand times, but I'm curious as to why it has not been visited by FDEV.

Why is it still possible to affect BGS in anything BUT OPEN?

I won't trail on for a ridiculous spiel about why my opinion matters, just a starter for someone to explain why things are the way they are, and FDEV's justification for this. Thank you.

Would be strange if it was any other way. I do a lot of trucking in my private group with friends, millions of credits and hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo and ore moving between stations in the Pleiades (also donate to factions in need) To have no influence on the BGS would be ridiculous.

My only gripe was with the UA bombing, that should have been Open only. Anyway, thankfully UA bombing is a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Would be strange if it was any other way. I do a lot of trucking in my private group with friends, millions of credits and hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo and ore moving between stations in the Pleiades (also donate to factions in need) To have no influence on the BGS would be ridiculous.

its more of a matter of not being able to actively prevent opposing influence... its kind of counterintuitive...

its more of a matter of not being able to actively prevent opposing influence... its kind of counterintuitive...

I would have preferred if ED had a single player offline mode (with a private group mode attached) and an Open only version. With 3 modes it does cause a lot of problems, but not as huge as some would make out.

Last edited:
I would have preferred if ED had a single player offline mode (with a private group mode attached) and an Open only version. With 3 modes it does cause a lot of problems, but not as huge as some would make out.

it is quite an issue, but I understand YOUR limited standpoint

Actually you didn't. You said "anything BUT open", when you meant "anything apart from open".

but1
/bət/
conjunction
conjunction: but
used to introduce a phrase or clause contrasting with what has already been mentioned.
"he stumbled but didn't fall"
synonyms:
yet; More
nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, however, still, notwithstanding, despite that, in spite of that, for all that, all the same, just the same, at the same time, be that as it may;
though, although;
informalstill and all;
archaicwithal, natheless, howbeit
"he stumbled but didn't fall"
antonyms:
and
used to indicate the impossibility of anything other than what is being stated.
"one cannot but sympathize"
synonyms:
(do) other than, otherwise than, except
"one cannot but sympathize"
used to introduce a response expressing a feeling such as surprise or anger.
"but that's an incredible saving!"
used after an expression of apology for what one is about to say.
"I'm sorry, but I can't pay you"
archaic
without it being the case that.
"it never rains but it pours"
preposition
preposition: but
except; apart from; other than.

It's fine as it is imo. Those who want to play solo can do, while still feeling invested in the BGS if they are bothered, those who play in open and 'play' the BGS as their main focus just don't have the level of control they would like. It's an imperfect world.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I know this has been mentioned a thousand times, but I'm curious as to why it has not been visited by FDEV.

Why is it still possible to affect BGS in anything BUT OPEN?

It was recently revisited in the BGS & Scenarios livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCy1ZYjLvdQ&t=850s

.... and in the recap thread for the stream:

BGS (Background Simulation) Changes

The Background Simulation (BGS) is a representation of how the actions of all players, no matter on which platform or mode, impact the galaxy. The factions that inhabit these system battle for influence over the population and control of the starports, installations and outposts. Player actions can push these factions into various states; such as economy, security, health and influence. With concerted effort players can help grow a faction's economy, destroy its security status, or help win a war.

its a short post, I apologize if it was too complex for you...

but I did ask the appropriate question

I'm not native English speaker (probably neither Cmdr Esteban).
This is a bit hard to understand for me too! :p
To me it sounds you're asking why BGS can be affected only in OPEN.

If I understood correctly your question is not correct because this is not true. BGS can be affected in all modes: SOLO, OPEN and PRIVATE GROUP.

The 2018 biggest discussion about BGS was to make it OPEN only, but this proposal never passed

its a short post, I apologize if it was too complex for you...

but I did ask the appropriate question

My mistake. I took the question "Why is it still possible to affect BGS in anything BUT OPEN?" to mean "any mode except open" or "any mode other than open" - that is, only in solo or PG.

Edit: @SenseiMatty - I am a native English speaker, but to be honest the OP's question could have been phrased better. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom