RCT 3 PC An Open Letter To David

First off David, Frontier and Michael B, thanks for these forums.

Okay. In my opinion and from what I have seen, third party community add-ons only increase the value of the base for RCT3. Here is why, here is how Frontier benefits and why Frontier's own original add-ons only enhance it.

The community add-on scenery only enhances the value of the base, not diminishes it. This we all know. But in no way does it hurt Frontier at all, because the community add-ons are non-official. You can't go out and buy them at a store per se, nor the additional enhancements to the game base. So with that said, Frontier's wizards will always have an RCT3 job regardless of what they add to the game from a scenery piece (which is the official add-on) to rides and other things.

The greatest thing to add long life is to partner with us. We are all in it together. That being said, why not add an importer that makes it easy for the community to add scenery packs, even animated scenery and for those hardy enough some rides to. If not animated rides, at least Static building type attractions would be great. These are large steps and I understand your folks concerns about breaking the game. But consider that most users if they install something that lags too much, they will just uninstall it.

Likewise I know many of the community scenerymakers and they are all following or at least 99.9 percent are of them, the guidelines.

Like I said, anything Frontier produces and sells, even if its similar to the community work, will always be embraced and purchased as an official product. I have asked others about this and the official products are top priority and also the default, so community add-ons while very good for what they are will never be official. Thus David, its in the longterm interests for Frontier to take this long overdue step for the community. By doing this, you greatly ensure the value of the platform short and long term, plus that means sales of the existing packs for many years to come as the community greatly enhances the value besides what Frontier has done.

Yes its sad that Atari let go many fine people like Ken. He is just a great guy, so was John Billington aka. Nodster. But for RCT3's longterm survival, open the community floodgates, and in the meantime consider more expansions and neat features too.

The community will greatly rally around Frontier's efforts if it takes this course. Its a win-win situation for everyone.

Frontier gets a longterm opportunity for more additions. Atari or the publisher gets continued longterm sales. The community feels that it is participating and great to be a part of the product history. The users are guaranteed longterm usage and are happy at the many future add-ons they get both official and unofficial, and the product continues to grow.

Just lay down the guidelines the community needs without giving out your trade secrets, provide the importer in the game for those hardy enough to take a good whack at importing, allow us tracked ride events and animated importing too. Frontier will benefit greatly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
You know something Weasel, I was just thinking.

Say Frontier provided a brand new RCT3 Utility for sale that allowed full importing across the board, making many things easier for the technical in the community. I bet not only would that open the flood gates for this platform, but Frontier would sell a heck of a lot of those utilities. Its just a thought, but thats how ideas become realities.

I just see so much for this particular platform that could be pursued and made available. Maybe the RCT3 Utility could also do Thrillville too. That would than suffice both Frontier markets. The mind is indeed an amazing things for ideas :D

Brett C

Frontier
I will admit, while it will up the value a little bit for the game. It will also add more options for the end user to tinker with, and that would mean more gamer time. More feature's overall to a game will make the game more wanting to play. :)

sebar said:
Say Frontier provided a brand new RCT3 Utility for sale that allowed full importing across the board, making many things easier for the technical in the community. I bet not only would that open the flood gates for this platform, but Frontier would sell a heck of a lot of those utilities. Its just a thought, but thats how ideas become realities.

I just see so much for this particular platform that could be pursued and made available. Maybe the RCT3 Utility could also do Thrillville too. That would than suffice both Frontier markets. The mind is indeed an amazing things for ideas :D
Sell? Hmm, I don't think that would be publishable. Possibly a download? Maybe a SMS charge service for those without plastic?

Honestly Nick, I think a utility program that installed stuff or even converted stuff very easily and was very automated would be great. One of the greatest problems I have in making scenery is if we could just import .3ds files. Right now they have to be ASE and my 3d program is tough on those as for whatever reason it won't export the textures to the 3d file properly. But if Frontier came up with a neat app that was an RCT3 gamers tool that would be very sweet indeed.:rolleyes:

It would be cool if they could just release their extension to the program they use that automaticly exports 3d models as rct3 files

Yeah Marn I know. I have a small fortune spent in Caligari Truespace 5.2

I need to figure out how to get it importer compatible. My situation got worse when I added the nVidia card originally. I'll get around to getting this fixed at some point or another. You are right, getting the models into RCT3 is priceless indeed.

But imagine if you will for a moment, that the Frontier wizards provided an even simpler way since they most likely won't release any code to Jonwil...:confused:

But I guess stranger things have happened in life. Maybe David B. will have a change of heart and work something out. It will be interesting to watch what unfolds over the coming months.

Like yoda once said, "strange thing the future, always changing" :D

The simple thing is, why?
It won't attract new gamers. Anyone who really cared about it would already have it by now.
This game (whether you like it or not) is designed for children. They want to giggle at coasters. They don't want to spend hours on end designing custom scenery.
The hardcore fans of the series would love to have such features, but it just won't happen.

I can see your point degerminator, but RCT3 hits all ages. Not just kids who want to giggle. I think that if this importer thing (I do not know 3D) does come across it will hit a wider fan base. If it appeals to more people, the greater the game will be. People won't have to buy separate games for separate needs. They can all be met within this one game. What a great advantage for Frontier.

Right and wrong...degerminator.

You are correct that we probably are at the end of the RCT3 series, as it seems to be the vibes I get from David Braben and Atari. A shame in a sense if this does become the case. But you are incorrect on the age differential. We have about an average age of 35 for RCT3, in fact there are people over 70 years of age who are playing the game, not just kids.

Part of the fact for this I believe is the appeal of the game. It may start off being a game, but ends up being much more. Its really a crying shame Atari as a publisher never really realized what they had before them, otherwise they would have taken this perhaps, much more seriously. The fact that Frontier has to provide support, and thats for a perfect example below in the next paragraph.

Lets say you get a cracked original RCT3 CD in your drive. Many companies have a replacement policy. But with Atari, I have heard, its basically that you as an original customer must completely purchase the entire game all over again, rather than receiving a replacement CD. Thats a perfect example of why this game has more or less been left idle so long.

Ken Allen mentioned something about maybe Atari and Chris Sawyer and the lawsuit. Why should there even have been a lawsuit? Again, another example of things from the publisher.

Yes we have the basic tools to do only static scenery, but if Frontier could facilitate this for the community it might have been even grander.

But I do agree that at this point we probably are seeing an end to RCT3 for the immediate if not long term future, even if there are parts of a new expansion pack sitting waiting in the bowls of Frontier. I don't believe we will see much more.

Well, gotta get off to my new winter theme park... http://www.sebar.com/rct3/winterfest/

Last edited:
Exactly my point.

kyne_is_guilty said:
Yeah... and besides, most of the kids I know want blood and gore and violence and MTV and sports and more violence...

And this is exactly what makes RCT3 stand out as a lone soul in the gaming industry. But honestly, once the gaming aspect wears down, the platform thus takes on a whole new personality in the building process, that goes well beyond the gaming aspect.

Hopefully this will be recognized by the powers that be on their new endeavors providing there will be ;) new endeavors.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
sebar said:
And this is exactly what makes RCT3 stand out as a lone soul in the gaming industry. But honestly, once the gaming aspect wears down, the platform thus takes on a whole new personality in the building process, that goes well beyond the gaming aspect.

Hopefully this will be recognized by the powers that be on their new endeavors providing there will be ;) new endeavors.

There are other non-violent games out there (The Sims, The Movies for example), but I take your point. The community aspect is important for all these games, and certainly this will be an important factor for Thrillville once it comes to PC and next gen machines.

David B said:
The community aspect is important for all these games, and certainly this will be an important factor for Thrillville once it comes to PC and next gen machines.

David B can you tell us if Thrillville and RCT are one in the same? Is Thrillville the future of the RCT series or is it a completly seperate game and name? :)

fh97 said:
David B can you tell us if Thrillville and RCT are one in the same? Is Thrillville the future of the RCT series or is it a completly seperate game and name?
I would presume it would seem logical that Thrillville is based in some part or whole, on the RCT3 engine base. Yeah, I expect it to come to PC. I also expect Chris Sawyer to win in court :D and get the license back for the RCT platform from Infogrames.

I see the next major matchup being David Braben :eek: versus Ken Allen :rolleyes: in Thrillville versus Coaster Madness!

2007 is gonna be a sweet year indeed. Long live Thrillville and Coaster Madness for the world community :D and a friendly competition that will benefit us all.

disneyland255 said:
Is this a new game coming out? Where can I get info on it!
Think of this happily as you get more Braben Shots of things to come in the near future! And that can translate into a new base game and hopefully many expansion packs with little or no lag.

Top Bottom