Anaconda 2.2 vs. 2.3 Cockpit Changes

I suppose moving the chairs away made them somewhat easier to render in-game, the bridge now seems even more unnecessarily huge, is Hefner going to be throwing Bunny-parties up here? I do not care for the simplified chairs either. Seems like everything is generally getting "washed-out", less complicated shading probably speeds up the graphics rendering slightly.

What the hell happened to all the detail? The 2.3 cockpit looks like a lower res version. It looks like a massive graphics downgrade; the textures all look like the game is running on the lowest graphic settings.

Last edited:
If this has been done intentionally and isn't a bug then I'd ask that FDev integrate this with graphical settings, so players who can use 'High' or 'Ultra' still get the full shading/texturing (even if its just Ultra for the time-being).

Please don't be overly conservative in deciding what our rigs can/can't handle.

Last edited:
Less polygons.
Looks like a lot less polygons. Like, the single polygon that's left is quite lonely now. :p
They also completely removed the raised base of the chairs with all of its intricate details.

Hate to be that guy but "I told you so." When I've been rambling and raving about the FAS/FDS cockpit downgrades, to all the folks who said, "too bad so sad." I replied with, "Well I hope this doesn't happen to your favourite ship someday."

... Oh dear ... Looks like "someday" is upon us :(

Last edited:
2.3 looks like a game that's not finished. Like only the wireframe is complete but it needs some artists to texture it up properly.

Wait a minute.
Wasnt the 2.3 BETA Anaconda´s cockpit textures a bug?
Like they are not loaded properly or something?

That can´t be intentional.

Wow, look at those danky new seats we got. They look like lawn chairs now. I don't mind a cleaner look to the cockpit, but damn those new seats are an eyesore.

Wait a minute.
Wasnt the 2.3 BETA Anaconda´s cockpit textures a bug?
Like they are not loaded properly or something?

That can´t be intentional.

It can't be anything BUT intentional. That's removal of model geometry with displacement and normal mapping from the original higher-poly model to fake it with fewer polys, and substantial pieces of the models that can't be done that way - the computer consoles and the details on the seat bases being examples - removed entirely. That takes work in the modeling software and doesn't happen by accident or due to a bug. It's a real model and skinning change.

It's also a complete dog's breakfast.

Wow, look at those danky new seats we got. They look like lawn chairs now. I don't mind a cleaner look to the cockpit, but damn those new seats are an eyesore.

The cockpit isn't cleaner. It's simpler. In the worst possible way. Geometry's gone, texture's gone.
Plus yes, I agree that the chairs facing forward look absolutely awful. I mean, I know why they did it, but still. Why would gunner or fighter pilot mind facing to the side. They are supposed to use their respective roles and views.

Old version looks better as a more diverse material palette is being used. i.e. black shiny pieces on dash board etc.
2.3 seems to have added extra 'bland'. Disappointing really as I was hoping the opposite would be true. The Anaconda already sports the blandest deck of all.

Update edit...looking closer I don't think the bridge is finished yet in 2.3? It looks far too simplified.

Flimley

Last edited:
If thats deliberate then there is something very wrong with frontier other games are looking better by the day. are you delibritly trying to kill this game. [wacky] Its one of the few games ive ever played that seems to be de-evolving [wacky]

If you dont have the ability or talant to make it better then for god sake leave it alone until you get someone that can.

Last edited:
Old version looks better as a more diverse material palette is being used. i.e. black shiny pieces on dash board etc.
2.3 seems to have added extra 'bland'. Disappointing really as I was hoping the opposite would be true. The Anaconda already sports the blandest deck of all.

Flimley

I guess this is the way frontier is going with materials in general.
I am afraid that their idea of optimization is to only have two, in the end.

Planets will be made of "beige stuff", and ships will be made of "grey stuff". And it will all run at 1200FPS on minimum specs PC.

/salty sarcasm

Update edit...looking closer I don't think the bridge is finished yet in 2.3? It looks far too simplified.

Flimley

2.3's out in a week or so. It's 'finished'.

Thanks for showing the differences on the Anaconda. I had wondered how some of the variety filled modeled cockpit structures would fit into the Multi-crew HUD design.

Look at the physical variety of non-pilot cockpit panels between the Anaconda, Cutter, Python, Orca, and Cobra. Some give the impression of having very unique HUDs from each other, and somehow they all will need to visually integrate to fit the same Multi-crew HUD for every ship. As noted, they did remove some of the static displays from the panel, a bit of a shame, even if all they were was something in my imagination. I realize they must seem a bit more stale when they are static directly front and center, versus in the periphery.

The Beluga and Python have some great looking static displays arrayed along its crew panels, hopefully they aren't simply deleted.

Top Bottom