Ships Anaconda Anaconda build no engineering (trade and defending from pirate attacks)

i saving cash for first expensive ship
is this trade/pirate defense build will be sufficient to defeat pirates that will try to take my cargo?
if its a overkill i would downgrade 6a shields to 5a , i mostly clueless about the weapons i picked burst weapons when i menage to get enemy in front and large hardpoints turrets to deal with fast pirates and keep dmg going when enemy is outside my view

The TTD time for that build is 2 seconds. That means that it only takes you 2 seconds to empty your capacitor totally if you shoot all of your weapons even if you have 4 pips to weapons. You need a better balance for the energy usage vs capacitor capabilities.

Link shortener is not working at the moment so here is the full link for small changes:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/ana...w18ZXEA..EweloBhBmUEY4BYQFMCGBzANikI4SEhQlA==

That could probably also work with 8D power distributor for some weight savings. There is an alternate build that jumps a bit farther etc that you may like, but it is not quite as sturdy.

THX a lot , i knew that beam weapons deplete energy fast but didn't thought it would be only 2 sec,
i was not sure if i can use sustain multicanon dmg if its gimbaled but i will give it a try , the build you have sent me is probably what i wanted- being able to fight medium not expert pirates like fdl/krait/python and also be able to kill fast vipers/vultures/cobras that beat me in dogfight

Do not try and fight ships that interdict you. Throw away all those weapons. instead, make sure that your ship is as fast as possible, which means the best thrusters and power distributor. Everything else needs to be light for speed.

When you get interdicted, submit, then keep boosting until you can engage your FSD. Never stop to look who's behind you. The ships that interdict you are always very well equipped for battle, so, even if you win, you'll waste loads of time fighting them when you could be making money. I always use this technique. I've never been killed yet.

This is how I'd do it. Use a heatsink to break lock if you take any fire while you're waiting for your FSD to charge.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/ana...w18ZXEA..EweloBhBmUEY4BYQFMCGBzANikI4SEhQlA==

This is important! Without engineering your ship is not capable of combat against anything but the easiest NPCs.

Come on... really? The NPCs are not engineered and we used to take them out left and right before engineering came about. Even yesterday I was fighting ships in unengineered sidewinder in high RES. Yes, you can definitely fight NPCs in unengineered anaconda and win most fights and flee from the ones that look too tough.

@Innocentius. As soon as you rise in combat rank, mission NPC's will get some basic engineering. This includes trade missions. I'm at dangerous in combat and elite in trade rank and the interdicting NPCs are sometimes wings of anacondas.
In high res you rarely fight alone, so there is a considerable boost in combat capacity to your side. In haz res or with a single ship against wings things will go bad with an unengineered anaconda, which is a slow moving huge target and since OP is asking for a trade ship, there are probably not many hull reinforcements or module reinforcements in his ship.
There are regularly appearing posts where people are surprised being taken out by npcs with rails, so if I give advice I prefer to err on the side of caution. Especially since OP probably doesn't have much combat experience.

Last edited:
I still refuse to bite the claim that one would be unable to combat anything but the easiest NPCs in unengineered anaconda. Sure there are risks in combat, but it would certainly be super boring if there were no risks at all. Here is a Thargoid Basilisk solo with unengineered DBS:
Source: https://youtu.be/1XyokWC0NYE

Here is unengineered anaconda build for hazres:
Source: https://youtu.be/QKJbPpjSa3U

Sure it is harder, but no it is not impossible or even particularly tough to fight against NPCs in a good ship without engineering.

The OP talked about a trader build and wants to use a 5A shield, so how would these ships fare if just 50% of their modules are filled with cargo and are running with downgraded shields?

As a challenge these things are certainly possible, but probably not by a pilot buying his first big ship. So I'm not giving advice regarding possibilities, but realistic expectations.

Last edited:
Do not try and fight ships that interdict you.
i submit to interdiction and if its not too powerfull i can fight it , thats my point , i dont want to be runing away from vulure or viper4, hopefuly i can menage mid tier like not experienced krait phantom npc , if its krait 2 expert i just charge fsd and run away
thx on info on defence trade builds tho

Last edited:
The OP talked about a trader build and wants to use a 5A shield,
i about to use 6a shield and a lot of shield boosters, if its necessary i about to go even for 7a shield'
i wanted to make combat trader cos often there is a bonus for dealing with those atackers, and normal trading is boring

Last edited:
@Innocentius. As soon as you rise in combat rank, mission NPC's will get some basic engineering. This includes trade missions. I'm at dangerous in combat and elite in trade rank and the interdicting NPCs are sometimes wings of anacondas.
well i got my cash from taxi services and some exploring, when i get 200mil cr for this 450 mil anaconda i will have pioner or elite explorer
i'm mostly harmless and merchant so i dont expect hard enemies , thats why i wanted to jump to heavy rig so i have easy time

i about to use 6a shield and a lot of shield boosters, if its necessary i about to go even for 7a shield'
i wanted to make combat trader cos often there is a bonus for dealing with those atackers, and normal trading is boring

Will kill most non-to-mildly engineered NPCs and escape from most CMDRs, without a whole lot of trouble, assuming you can fly it.

Other than extreme speed, ECM is the best defense against hatchbreakers there is. A PDT on top somewhere is a good place to put it to counter FSD disruptors. A heatsink launcher lets you break target/subsystem lock beyond very short range, unless your opponents have emissive.

A fighter hanger will significantly increase it's ability to fight NPCs, and can even help escape from CMDRs (they can be launched without deploying hardpoints and their PDTs will fire at FSD interuptors), at the cost of 32 tons of cargo capacity and the need to carry crew.

Fighter hangar is actually a nice call. Both defensive and offensive. They draw NPC attention can often keep in wing fights at least 1 NPC occupied for quite some time and DPS wise they are equal to 1 rather large turret or so :-D Once my late co-fighter pilot got to her Elite rank she could actually solo quite a few opponents up to a gunship level while I was doing RES sites. Sometimes I just let her loose and observed how well she did.

We have been discussing builds like these on this thread as defensive trading builds:
Yeah, I'm aware that the point isn't a paper thin full cargo Anaconda. And while I will concede that successfully fighting NPC pirates is possible with these builds, I won't advise the OP to use such a build. Because he wants it to have an easy time with combat:
thats why i wanted to jump to heavy rig so i have easy time
Given that OP says that he has hardly any combat experience a big ship without any engineering isn't really advisable for combat. The anaconda is a huge target, turns slowly and moves slowly. It's probably not a good ship to get the hang of combat in.
I agree that it is possible to fight pirates and survive with this build, but I won't advise it. Especially if OP flies in open, those builds are flying coffins against a slightly competent pilot.
If the point of the thread was simply to discuss unengineered combat trader builds, this wouldn't be relevant of course. But those require some combat experience.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anaconda?code=A0putpFklndzsxf51q1f1f1f1c1c1919040404040202030406054f3c0404045i0303033w3x.Iw18ZXEA.Aw18ZXEA..EweloBhBmUEY4BYQEMA2aCWKB2BjAUwH08ALTAgMwBcVMcQQ4IWQp2g=

This is a little after the party, but this is what I would do without engineering for a focused, but armed and shielded, cargo hauler. The intent is to maximize the cargo space without making too many compromises. This is a basic version of the multi-role build I'm enjoying right now. Adding a fighter bay would be a good bet. Class 5 would be fine. 7A shields would also be a good upgrade, but you are starting to get more into a multirole loadout rather than a hauler at that point, compromising on the cargo space.

I wouldn't take it in Open, but it would probably work against most NPCs coming after you, especially if you have a low combat rank right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom