Anaconda explorer build

If you want jump range in the conda, light sensors are a must.

You should ask about this kind of builds in the explorers subforum.

This is a final version of my Anaconda for exploration. I think she has a everything for explorations and she has been quite useful for me.

And it is good to set final jump-range above 75.41. Then you can 'easily' see 300.x.ly jump on neutron highway. I don't know why but, in my experience, I could hardly see 300.x with below 75.4 jump-range.

Second, it is also good to set Power Plant's Experimental Effect to 'Thermal Spread' not 'Stripped Down'. Then you can approach scoopable star much closer and can engage to hyperspace much faster without overheat. It is also helpful to escape from neutron/whitedwarf accident safely.

Thanks very much for the intel Commander, very helpful. Slightly off-topic question- how do get my already linked Inara and XBox accounts in my posts below, as you and others are doing ? What button/ where do I need to press to make my Inara show up in posts/ threads ?
This is a final version of my Anaconda for exploration. I think she has a everything for explorations and she has been quite useful for me.

And it is good to set final jump-range above 75.41. Then you can 'easily' see 300.x.ly jump on neutron highway. I don't know why but, in my experience, I could hardly see 300.x with below 75.4 jump-range.

Second, it is also good to set Power Plant's Experimental Effect to 'Thermal Spread' not 'Stripped Down'. Then you can approach scoopable star much closer and can engage to hyperspace much faster without overheat. It is also helpful to escape from neutron/whitedwarf accident safely.

Thanks very much for the intel Commander, very helpful. Slightly off-topic question- how do get my already linked Inara and XBox accounts in my posts below, as you and others are doing ? What button/ where do I need to press to make my Inara show up in posts/ threads ?

It's quite simple.
1) inara.cz > COMMANDER > MISC AND SIGNATURE > ~ URL > ctrl+c
2) frontier forums > CMDR menu > signatures > insert image > ctrl + v

Here is the Anaconda I just finished building-fully engineered with the exception of the power plant (G1) and life support (G4 lightweight). I decided to go for reinforced shields and armor in order to have a good safety net against any hostiles that might come in the journey. This Annie build

1. Gives me the ability to permaboost
2. Carries the usual items for exploration (AFMU, SRV, heat sink, and a fighter hangar)
3. Has almost 1700 MJ shields just in case there are encounters with hostile NPCs or for other contingencies.
4. Has a 71 LY laden jump range, with 74 LY max.

In my 2 last exploration trips (the first one was done in an unengineerd DBX with a 40 LY jump range, which led to Elite status; the second in an engineered Aspx), I did not have the need to use repair limpets so my Annie does not have them.

Likewise, I have needed only one SRV in the previous trips-if it is damaged I simply use the synthesis function and the mats I collected in the bubble as well as while exploring the landable planets to repair it.

The 7B scoop is just perfect-based in the “space trials” that this exploration Annie underwent around the engineering bases and the bubble, the 7B scooped from a nearly full tank to a full tank in a matter of seconds, and the time from a nearly empty tank to full was quite satisfactory so I decided to forgo the 7A scoop.

Here is the build:

Sure, the Annie is not as responsive in SC as an AspX or DBX, but I don’t mind. As for the view from the cockpit, it is good enough for me.

This is the first ship in my fleet that I have managed to fully engineer.

Here is the Anaconda I just finished building-fully engineered with the exception of the power plant (G1) and life support (G4 lightweight). I decided to go for reinforced shields and armor in order to have a good safety net against any hostiles that might come in the journey. This Annie build

2. Carries the usual items for exploration (AFMU, SRV, heat sink, and a fighter hangar)
3. Has almost 1700 MJ shields just in case there are encounters with hostile NPCs or for other contingencies.

In my 2 last exploration trips (the first one was done in an unengineerd DBX with a 40 LY jump range, which led to Elite status; the second in an engineered Aspx), I did not have the need to use repair limpets so my Annie does not have them.

Likewise, I have needed only one SRV in the previous trips-if it is damaged I simply use the synthesis function and the mats I collected in the bubble as well as while exploring the landable planets to repair it.

The 7B scoop is just perfect-based in the “space trials” that this exploration Annie underwent around the engineering bases and the bubble, the 7B scooped from a nearly full tank to a full tank in a matter of seconds, and the time from a nearly empty tank to full was quite satisfactory so I decided to forgo the 7A scoop.

Here is the build:

Sure, the Annie is not as responsive in SC as an AspX or DBX, but I don’t mind. As for the view from the cockpit, it is good enough for me.

That's very nice build.
I would fit one more AMFU, just in case.
And why 5A PP? It's overkill. You can use 4A as well and engineer it for example with Armoured/Thermal Spread. It'll still be lighter than 5A and will run cooler, while providing you with enough power.

Here is the build:

Nice build, which really demonstrates how it's possible to build a tough explorer with minimal impact on jump-range. (y)

You really need to fit something in the empty slots though.
ED calculates damage spread across all fitted modules.
In practice, every module has a chance of soaking up damage so every empty slot means damage is more likely to be sustained by the modules you do have fitted.

Consider bunging in, say, a repair limpet controller and cargo rack (purely to hold limpets after you synthesise them) and then, perhaps, a 2nd AFMU (to repair the primary one) or, perhaps, a fuel-transfer limpet controller if you think you might like to have the ability to assist other ships.

Thanks for the suggestions. The build was inspired on the following threads from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ahncsz Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ahncsz/so_you_want_to_explore_dw2_in_open_but_you_dont/

and this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9bat4o Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9bat4o/psa_the_common_exploration_build_is_unnecessarily/

In the first thread, the links to the builds no longer work; my build is directly derived from the "Example Anaconda Exploration Build" link in the second thread. The difference is that I haven't unlocked the guardian shield boosters yet, which the example build has, hence my lower shield MJ.

The explanations and comments given in the threads mentioned are why I decided to engineer my exploration vessels (I also have a DBX and Krait Phantom). Yes, the grind for a fully engineered exploration Annie is extensive and anyone who wishes to do this must be prepared to regard this as a long term project (unlocking the engineers, unlocking the guardian FSD booster, gathering the plenty of mats required to engineer the modules in this ship, performng the required tasks that the engineeres require for their invites), but the reward is totally worth it: an explorer ship that is tough, can survive hostile encounters but sacrifices little in the jump range department.

Of course, it is possible to explore in a ship that is not engineered or is lightly engineered. I simply want to have the added safety net in case something happens.

My own Explorer Anaconda, for what it's worth. Note the two AFMUs, to repair each other. And the supercruise assist, because it's weightless. And remember, you can engineer lightweight armour with no weight penalty.

This

Is that meant to be a practical joke?
No, the 7B fuel scoop will let you scoop at over 1 ton/second at max rate. And it's considerably less expensive than the 7A.

My own Explorer Anaconda, for what it's worth. Note the two AFMUs, to repair each other. And the supercruise assist, because it's weightless. And remember, you can engineer lightweight armour with no weight penalty.
There's no need to have more than one AFMU. In the unlikely event that it should reach 0% integrity and stop working, you can restore it to 1% (at which point it will repair just as effectively as if it was at 100%) with the Reboot/Repair command for your ship. This frees up a slot which can be used for a lot of other things.

There's no need to have more than one AFMU.

except Ammunition.

As far as I know, I basically need these:

1. Jumprange above 68 LJ to reach the edges (if you want to reach the edges)
2. enough fuel to go there and come back without running dry (an Asp uses the least fuel from the typical explorers Annie, Phantom, Asp) - so Annie needs a extra tank
3. an SRV
4. about 1000 MJ for playing in open (and always dismiss ship when on a planet)
5. AFMUS Cat. B for having the most ammunition (as much as possible)

Yeah I'd be cautious about using an Anaconda for exploration. On paper its really strong BUT in reality exploration is all about seeing stuff and the cockpit view isn't that great.

So you're offsetting the carrying capacity and max jump distance for one of the biggest usability factors of exploration.

Yeah I'd be cautious about using an Anaconda for exploration. On paper its really strong BUT in reality exploration is all about seeing stuff and the cockpit view isn't that great.

So you're offsetting the carrying capacity and max jump distance for one of the biggest usability factors of exploration.

I completely agree. The beluga, clipper, type 7, 9 and 10 have the best canopies for the job. Id say seeing out is the most important requirement for a ship.

I don't think im qualified enough to use the clipper though. Just last session was the third or 4th time i sent myself home in a body bag using a clipper losing a fair amount of data so i think im officially not qualified. Screw it all im going in a combat corvette next.

No, the 7B fuel scoop will let you scoop at over 1 ton/second at max rate. And it's considerably less expensive than the 7A.

The 7B is certainly cheaper. I took it as read that we were discussing the ideal explorer, not the cheapest.

There's no need to have more than one AFMU. In the unlikely event that it should reach 0% integrity and stop working, you can restore it to 1% (at which point it will repair just as effectively as if it was at 100%) with the Reboot/Repair command for your ship. This frees up a slot which can be used for a lot of other things.

Does an AFMU need to drop to 0% integrity before it performs adequately? And what else would you use the extra slot for? Two slots in my build are already taken up with empty cargo racks. Another cargo rack? No thanks.

The 7B is certainly cheaper. I took it as read that we were discussing the ideal explorer, not the cheapest.

Does an AFMU need to drop to 0% integrity before it performs adequately? And what else would you use the extra slot for? Two slots in my build are already taken up with empty cargo racks. Another cargo rack? No thanks.
There's no real need for a better than 7B fuel scoop for the Anaconda, as the gains are very small. I, and many others, used 7B fuel scoops for the entirety of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. 7A fuels your Anaconda in 25 seconds, 7B fuels your Anaconda in 29 seconds. 7A requires 0.97 MW of power, 7B requires 0.83 MW of power. The ideal explorer is not A-rated all over, as that would be a waste of power and tonnage, for example.

If a module drops to 0% integrity, it stops working and does no longer perform adequately (exception: Power plant, giving 40% power after dropping to 0% integrity). I brought along a research limpet controller, decontamination limpet controller (which doubles as repair limpet) and a collector limpet controller, among other things. There's a lot you can bring with you for convenience and to be prepared for most eventualities, thus making your ship more robust and self-sufficient, i.e. the 'ideal explorer' if you will.

If a thing is better then it's better. Why does this have to be explained? As for price: if you can't afford it then clearly you can't buy it, but if you can afford it what's the point of hoarding your credits? What else are you going to spend them on? A holiday in the Maldives?

As for the limpets you mentioned, they're for Thargoid activities and completely useless for exploration. If you expect to meet Thargoids then, presumably, you'll want weaponry too, and so on.

Have the last word.

There's no real need for a better than 7B fuel scoop for the Anaconda, as the gains are very small. I, and many others, used 7B fuel scoops for the entirety of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. 7A fuels your Anaconda in 25 seconds, 7B fuels your Anaconda in 29 seconds. 7A requires 0.97 MW of power, 7B requires 0.83 MW of power. The ideal explorer is not A-rated all over, as that would be a waste of power and tonnage, for example.

If a module drops to 0% integrity, it stops working and does no longer perform adequately (exception: Power plant, giving 40% power after dropping to 0% integrity). I brought along a research limpet controller, decontamination limpet controller (which doubles as repair limpet) and a collector limpet controller, among other things. There's a lot you can bring with you for convenience and to be prepared for most eventualities, thus making your ship more robust and self-sufficient, i.e. the 'ideal explorer' if you will.

I knew that Decon Limpetz is not double as Repair Limpetz but half.
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Limpet_Controller/Repair
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Limpet_Controller/Decontamination

If a thing is better then it's better. Why does this have to be explained? As for price: if you can't afford it then clearly you can't buy it, but if you can afford it what's the point of hoarding your credits? What else are you going to spend them on? A holiday in the Maldives?

As for the limpets you mentioned, they're for Thargoid activities and completely useless for exploration. If you expect to meet Thargoids then, presumably, you'll want weaponry too, and so on.

Have the last word.

If you have no Corrosion Resistance Cargo Rack, Decon Limpetz is not bad choice.

Top Bottom