Anaconda pulling upwards on station exit

Oh yeah, if you do find yourself in a bit of a mess in the slot, remember rule number one of the Hitch Hikers Guide.

DON'T PANIC!

Cut your throttle back to zero.
If you have landing gear out, pull it back in.
Either use your thrusters to try and position yourself into the center of the slot and then proceed if clear or
Put the ship in reverse and pull yourself back out of the slot and line yourself up again.
Try and do so as calmly and gently as possible.

That's another thing - it's not only bad enough I drifted up, but the fact that I couldn't get out was (literally) the killer.

I tried all of the above - none of it worked. It was like the ship was welded to the ceiling - down thrusters didn't do a thing - nor reverse thrusters.

It wasn't the damage of hitting the ceiling that killed me - it barely put a dent in the shields - it was that I couldn't get out of the letterbox and after 90 seconds - the station opened fire

And this happened twice in a row

Aim for the top of the slot. It will feel like you're getting scalped going out of the station. You'll get used to it.

I know. I was once an Anconda pilot before the idiots on this forum voted for a reset before launch.

Last edited:
Sadly i'm 2500ly out at the moment exploring, so can't really do any testing in my conda, but i tend to do the near top skim with my canopy and much of the time get through without scraping at all.

I've noticed this too . Honestly you need to be going faster , for me it only happens if I'm going too slow . I know this willl sound like a joke but honestly it's not . Try it with no cargo and a big shield. I thought initially there must be a low point in the middle of the ship that pushes it up . By mistake I went reasonably fast towards the exit and it slipped through with no problem . I'm not talking full speed either btw ..

I get lots of fines on exit with my Anaconda, it does tend to drift upwards in the letterbox and sometimes I get stuck. This never happened in my Type 9.

It's the difference in gravity. The Anaconda is the only ship that goes in and out nose first, bridge last. It happens to all ships, but the Ananconda just makes it more noticeable.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. It never caused catastrophic damage, but it is damned annoying every time I enter or exit, to mysteriously be 'sucked' up to the top of the letterbox my mysterious forces.

If there is a good explanation for this, then I'd be fine with it, but it just seems to affect only the anaconda, and I've flown everything but the hauler, FDL and Vulture.

How much clearance does the bottom of the anaconda have in relation to the top, particularly in the back. My theory...having only flown an anaconda in beta for a few flights, is that the shields on the back end 'belly' are actually close enough to the letterbox that they are being pushed on by the letterbox.

Past that, <shrug>. Hope you guys figure it out!

That's another thing - it's not only bad enough I drifted up, but the fact that I couldn't get out was (literally) the killer.

I tried all of the above - none of it worked. It was like the ship was welded to the ceiling - down thrusters didn't do a thing - nor reverse thrusters.

It wasn't the damage of hitting the ceiling that killed me - it barely put a dent in the shields - it was that I couldn't get out of the letterbox and after 90 seconds - the station opened fire

And this happened twice in a row

Sometimes I scrape my Anaconda on the way in but it happens less and less as i get used to it.

I can't honestly say I noticed any drifting, but I do know it can get a bit tricky to get through the letterbox at low speed, mostly because the station continues to rotate and you have to keep on compensating for that. I don't boost through of course(well, ok... Sometimes, on the way out ^.^) but i try not to linger around the entrance either, usually i get through well over 100m/s.

There is a 'fix' to your problem, not sure if you're going to like it though: when you see you're stuck in the letterbox, log out and back in again, you'll relog outside the station's mass lock area, free of danger.

It's probably not the kind of answer you're looking for, but in the meantime, it will avoid you the ship + cargo re-buy cost.

I can comment to the same issue OP has. When exiting the station with gear up, if you are going out slow, the station will pull you upwards. You actually have to backup and get a "running start" to leave without scraping. This only occurs when exiting very slowly.

I think that FD should make the docking computer perform exit functions if someone has went so far as to get one.

I have had to exit the game numerous times in order to leave before the timer finishes. There is an issue here...

I've had my Anaconda now for about a week or so and had the same problem to begin with. I think part of the sucking upwards effect stems from keeping the nose too high. Your instincts when flying it for the first time are to use the tip of the nose as your mid point when in fact the nose should be a bit lower than that. If you have a chaff launcher or point defense equipped, use the middle line on the reticle curve as your vertical center point guide.

This guy gets it. The nose of the anni is not on the same level as you line of sight. Next time you're in super cruise, use the 'motion lines' to note the height of the nose, vs your eyeline.

I've flown a conda for several months and tbh the best thing to help me judge where the nose is, are the ship lights.

Never had a problem with it veering off course unless the landing gear is still down and I'm too low in the slot.

If you're really worried about where you are pointing, go into ED settings and turn the mouse pointer on. It puts a nice dot in the middle of your HUD and lets you know exactly where you're going.

Thanks for the replies, chaps. FD support replied and asked me to "validate the game files". I think this has appeared to fix it. I still get a slight drifting upwards, which is what others have described - but it's nothing like it was yesterday - where the ship was practically pulled onto the roof of the slot. I can no longer reproduce the effect to the same degree, even if I aim near the bottom of the slot.

However, I wonder if I have slightly modified my piloting style just slightly which means I am not triggering the effect anymore. Only more time will tell.

Cheers - now back to working on the combat loadout....

Thanks for the replies, chaps. FD support replied and asked me to "validate the game files". I think this has appeared to fix it. I still get a slight drifting upwards, which is what others have described - but it's nothing like it was yesterday - where the ship was practically pulled onto the roof of the slot. I can no longer reproduce the effect to the same degree, even if I aim near the bottom of the slot.

However, I wonder if I have slightly modified my piloting style just slightly which means I am not triggering the effect anymore. Only more time will tell.

Nah, it's still bugged, you've just gotten better at it, and are probably carrying more speed. With practice, you can go though the slot around 100+ with no issues, but it does take careful pre-alignment, or you might hear an almighty "bang!" and stop dead due to the bottom of the ship catching the mail slot edge!

Also remember that there is no real "up" with the mail slot! You can exit either way... There's a slim possibility that since rotational correction is in one direction (clockwise?), the effect might be much more pronounced depending on which orientation/side you exit on (red/green lights on opposite sides).

With correction off and no velocity, you should be able to sit still and "spin" in the middle of the mail slot, but if you move L/R, the station would rotate to "hit" you. This is probably what is happening with the Anaconda...

Last edited:
You are going out too low and aiming looking at your target dot in the middle of the mailslot.

You should be aiming with the Anaconda nose and not the dot. The Anaconda cockpit is at the top-back end of the ship and the Anaconda has a BIG belly.

The upwards pull you see is the belly of the ship touching the slot. Try to be higher in the mailslot (like trying to scratch the upper side of the mailslot), Aim higher (put the nose at the middle and not the dot) and everything will ok
The cockpit of EDs ships are more or less on the top (Save the lakons and vulture which are kinda centered at the front.) You should be going in and out with the top of your canopy *nearly* scraping the roof. I started doing this when i got my cobra and even the lakon has never been an issue. I've yet to get my hands on a conda but id assume the same rules apply looking at the model.

The cockpit of EDs ships are more or less on the top (Save the lakons and vulture which are kinda centered at the front.) You should be going in and out with the top of your canopy *nearly* scraping the roof.

Number one, it's only relevant with big ships, the Cobra, etc are so small the mail slot is an utter non-issue, you could probably fit eight or more of them in the slot at once!

Number two, in the Type-9 you are basically sitting on the "floor" with a lot of ship above you (you sit in the lower flight deck that's visible from the outside), so the best way to enter/leave is to literally scrape the bottom of the slot from your point of view (there's a handy "rivet" in the center of the slot that I always used as a point of reference). Also, having the cockpit way out front does make orientation much easier, the Anaconda has a huge "snout" which you have to point correctly! ;)

Last edited:
Yup... this happens, first time i took mine out I was so worried about scratching it I went really slowly and was extremely careful, so slow in fact I was expecting a fine but not expecting to be rammed in to the top of the entrance and with the scraping noise and 150M invested I paniced and ended up losing the ship before I'd got out.... I can laugh now but I did walk away for half an hour at the time ;-)

I did a lot of experimenting after that and it does push you upward and has nothing to do with landing gear, rotation of the station or bottom of the ship hitting anything because if you stick your nose into the pillar box going out with no speed, thrusters or any other form of movement you are pushed upwards until you start scraping against the roof of the entrance/exit.

How do I overcome this, well I revert back to my normal taking off method of going out like a hooligan, too fast and boost as soon as soon as i am in the exit, shields up and lots of boosters to go with them. Sorry little ships but you'll have to get out of the way. Big ships check who's coming out first...

Or you can also tippy toe through with maximum down thrust when it starts to happen....meet anyone and you then have to shove them out with you...

:)

If you are going 100m/s (99 for 1.3 :) ) you will negate the tendency to pitch up or at least it is quick enough you don't notice.

The slower you go the worse it gets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom