Anaconda pulling upwards on station exit

Hi, newbie here

Last week I finally managed to get an Anaconda. Running it in a trade loadout until I can afford to beef it up to a combat loadout.

It's always been a bit difficult to fit through the letterbox, but nothing I couldn't handle - roughly the same as the T9 I have been using for months without issue.

But suddenly this morning, I got stuck in the letterbox - twice in succession and the ship got destroyed, plus millions in cargo.

Now I did have insurance to cover both loses, so I'm not back to a Sidewinder, but still extremely peeved off. I lost 30million in under 5 minutes.... :mad:

But when I tried for a third time, I got stuck again. I am not claiming to be the best pilot in the game, but there is no way I would make the same mistake three times in a row.

It seems that just as I approach the letterbox, the ship pulls upwards, causing me to get jammed inside the letterbox. I was (only just) able to get out this time - nearly lost another 15m.

The pull upwards occurs even if I don't touch the controls, so I am going to raise a support ticket - this seems like a bug. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

Restarting doesn't appear to help.

On your way out or in?

i have issues with the heavier ships on going out. I'm starting with upwards thrust, retract landing gear and throttle forward.

when i am at the right height (or just before that because of ship mass) i stop upward thrust, maybe put a little downward to stabilize...

thats always the same, but sometimes the upward moment does not seem to stop and i have to emergency break. i think it happens when i'm accellerating to fast, as if the up/down thrusters work less effective when accelerating...

(must not be your problem, definitely is mine)

Check your controls? Buy a small ship and see if your controls are drifting. Although I always speed up through the slot as I start to rotate as I leave the station and just easier to get out of the slot rather than try and compensate.

I think you approach the gate to low.
the entrance tries to correct your aligned a bid.
(something that was added to make landing easier, I hate it).
when you land as you feel you are going to hit the top edge it will go all right.

at first there was no landing aid , making it all feel far more like a space sim.
but people kept complaining it was to hard and now force fields make you feel like a turd in a constipated situation.

I think it would help bigger ships a lot if rotation correction started a bit outside the gate just before the "fence" or what you want to call it.

Because I think that what is happening is that people forget to rotate with the station rotation upon entering and exiting and because the station turns the fence catches the ship and it gets stuck, this is what seems to happen to entering and exiting bigger npc ships too. Doesn't happen all the time, because sometimes they are going fast enough for the rotation not to catch them but other times too slow and caught by rotation.

It occurs on exit - and it's only just started occurring.

Using keyboard, not joystick, so not control drift. I plug in the joystick when going combat, but use keyboard for trading runs.

At first I thought I was doing something wrong. But I line up the exit - ensure there is no residual inertia, then set thrusters to a constant speed ~30-50ms and then just sit back.

Everything is going fine - might need a tiny tweak on the pitch. But just as I am about to go into the letterbox, the ship suddenly pulls upward - sometimes even the thrusters fire. If am travelling slowly ~15ms , I don't even go into the letterbox - as I hit the bulkhead just above the letterbox.

This is distinctly different from the effect of the roll as you go through the letterbox. The pull upwards occurs just before you reach the letterbox threshold - and it is always upwards, regardless of which way the letterbox is oriented.

Tried in in a Cobra - no pull affect - seems to be just the Anaconda.

Maybe I will record a video - any easy way to capture the screen, or is it easier to hold my Galaxy S3 to the screen. Like I said, I don't need to touch the controls.

Still very peeved at losing 30m credits for what I feel is probably a bug, rather than my piloting skills. Going to raise a bug ticket and see what FD come up with

Do you retract your landing gear right after undocking?
Maybe you should try to disable rotational correction before you're about to pass the slot and do it manually. This way you don't get hit by it disabling itself.
Also don't look at the Advertisement Holos outside the slot, as they hover up and down on its own. Very distracting.

The only times i have problems like that is when i have turned the on my HOTAS for vertical thruster axis without knowing it.
But i'm still about 100m cr. away from an Anaconda. But had no such problems in Pubic Beta or during the Wings Beta.

The only effect I noticed (at least always feels like it to me) is when approaching the end part of the letterbox on the way out...

Every single time the ship seems to be "pulled" towards the center, with smaller ships so severe that I often have to use upto 30deg correction vectors to i.e. avoid oncoming traffic passing on the inbount lane - as my Ship always seems to be pulled by invisible magnets for that ~200m range on the way out (?!)

Never could make any sense of it, but having i.e. approaching NPCs passing close locked, the "magnet effect" was always highly visible and confirmed. Not counteracting it always led to a near-miss or downright collision.
Always and only on the way out (most pronounced at lower speeds), never once seen anything comparable on the way in.

But apart from causing potential collisions with docking NPCs (or Players), never lost a Ship to that.
Also, running in any big ride like the Type-9 (going center-oriented), this never was an issue.
But if I ever sit in an Anaconda and try to pass on the correct lane - I could imagine this might cause a drastically increased collision potential.

PS.
Anyone else seen/witnessed the same effect undocking through the gate ? Or am I suffering from a really bad case of visual illusion ?!
That "invisible pull" for those brief seconds on the way out always annoyed me - but I never was able to make sense of it.

Always seemed to be that way. I got so used to it that making that drastic correction vector (literally aiming for the guardrails on the outside) has become an auto-move.
I have never experienced this magnet effect both you and the OP are referring to. It's kind of alarming to read tbh. I've been flying a Conda for a long time and haven't noticed this on any ship. I do use a joystick perhaps that has something to do with it? Keyboard and mouse has some sort of aid built in that isn't helping at all? It's far fetched but that the only non bug reason that would be happening. Do you guys have roll assist turned on?

I have had an Anaconda for just over a week (I'm not a newbie on the game OR forum ;-)) and I lost one docking very early on - grazed the rack on the way in (VERY gently) and it exploded instantly without warning. No shield damage or hull damage, just BOOM! (Cost me 10-11 million in insurance, cargo and lost bounties)

A few people have reported similar things - seems to be a bug - and the consensus is that it's when the undercarriage catches the rack...
I stopped deploying undercarriage outside the station and started raising it as soon as I'd launched; I've had no problems since.

It also sounds like maybe you're going a little slow - with a ship as big as the Anaconda, the auto-rotate can cut out before you're completely clear, so you have to be going quickly enough (in and out) that you can clear the gate cleanly. Of course, this might just be a mis-perception on my part, but I feel much more comfortable at around 100m/s

You are going out too low and aiming looking at your target dot in the middle of the mailslot.

You should be aiming with the Anaconda nose and not the dot. The Anaconda cockpit is at the top-back end of the ship and the Anaconda has a BIG belly.

The upwards pull you see is the belly of the ship touching the slot. Try to be higher in the mailslot (like trying to scratch the upper side of the mailslot), Aim higher (put the nose at the middle and not the dot) and everything will ok

Last edited:
I have noticed exactly the same problem, thought it was just me.
It only happens going out of the letterbox (not going in for some strange reason), and the ship seems to drift up, I counteract this by using the downward thrusters just before the top of the ship hits the top of the letterbox - I have to do this nearly every exit so have now just got used to it.
If others are having the same experience it may possible be a bug.

You are going out too low and aiming looking at your target dot in the middle of the mailslot.

You should be aiming with the Anaconda nose and not the dot. The Anaconda cockpit is at the top-back end of the ship and the Anaconda has a BIG belly.

The upwards pull you see is the belly of the ship touching the slot. Try to be higher in the mailslot (like trying to scratch the upper side of the mailslot), Aim higher (put the nose at the middle and not the dot) and everything will ok

That comes closest to describing it, but the pull up sometimes means I don't go into the slot at all if I am travelling slowly, so I am still not sure if that's the issue.

I might try a few experiments later. The problem is that I don't fancy losing another 15/30/45m just to try a few theories. Still smarting from earlier today.

Thx

Ever since day one i have noticed a magnet effect pulling me AWAY from the center when going into the hangars.
I can be perfectly lined up and have no control input other than some minor 1-pixel mouse movement to the left (to gradually very slowly steer), since im using a mouse and keyboard and have NO joystick or analogue controller plugged in, it cant be an accidental input. Then i often notice that my ship just gets pulled up too high or to a random side, left or right too far, so i have to compensate to correct. Exactly as if i was using the Up/Down or Left/right strafe thrusters. But im not even touching them.

This actually makes it feel like the STATION itself is magically strafing around, since my ship gets no further control input what so ever, yet the station ahead of me shifts up or left.
Note, this is a gradual shift (still potentially catastrophic, about 50m per 2 seconds or so), its not a sudden lag-jump or anything. I really have no clue what causes it, but i have definetly noticed it from day one.

Last edited:
Ever since day one i have noticed a magnet effect pulling me AWAY from the center when going into the hangars.
I can be perfectly lined up and have no control input other than some minor 1-pixel mouse movement to the left (to gradually very slowly steer), since im using a mouse and keyboard and have NO joystick or analogue controller plugged in, it cant be an accidental input. Then i often notice that my ship just gets pulled up too high or to a random side, left or right too far, so i have to compensate to correct. Exactly as if i was using the Up/Down or Left/right strafe thrusters. But im not even touching them.

This actually makes it feel like the STATION itself is magically strafing around, since my ship gets no further control input what so ever, yet the station ahead of me shifts up or left.
Note, this is a gradual shift (still potentially catastrophic, about 50m per 2 seconds or so), its not a sudden lag-jump or anything. I really have no clue what causes it, but i have definetly noticed it from day one.

On one occasion, I saw the 'Conda thrusters fire - even though I wasn't touching the controls - and only had forward thrust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom