Guide / Tutorial ANCIENT GUARDIANS MISSION GUIDE,Step by Step;111MCr(was 201MCr)

======
======
======
2018 21st APR : One full run will give you lots of Guardian "PATTERN" data, from Alpha to Gamma(keep them all ! ) I got about 130 of Alpha & Gamma and about 100 each of Beta,Delta & Epsilon(this one needed to open Guardian tech)
2018 21st APR : I just finished route #2 , all good :)
2018 20th APR : CMDR Galactic Midden confirms route #2 fully working again
======
======
======

UPDATES
2018 21st APR : One full run will give you lots of Guardian "PATTERN" data, from Alpha to Gamma(keep them all ! ) I got about 130 of Alpha & Gamma and about 100 each of Beta,Delta & Epsilon(this one needed to open Guardian tech)
2018 21st APR : I just finished route #2 , all good :)
2018 20th APR : CMDR Galactic Midden confirms route #2 fully working again
2018 22nd MAR : ROUTES ALL GOOD AGAIN !!!!! FD fixed it :)
2018 13th March : Ethan Drake's Excel spreadsheet post :) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ep)-201-M-Cr?p=6512792&viewfull=1#post6512792
2018 5th March : Fix for Route #1 done by SillYcoNe :) (not confirmed by me) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ep)-201-M-Cr?p=6473678&viewfull=1#post6473678
2018 2nd March 2018 : Routes broken :(
-----------
2017 21st July: Nerf from 201M Cr to 111M Cr https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/366268-Changes-to-Ram-Tah-Mission-Rewards
2017 19th July: ROUTE 2 PUBLISHED
2017 19th July: Route 2 verified, finishing the maps
2017 19th July: Cleaned thread in preparation for Route 2
2017 18th July: Landing area changes to some of the maps
2017 18th July: Added "ALTERNATIVE ROUTES"
2017 17th July: Added "TIMES & CREDITS" section
2017 11th July: Did 88 scans in 2.3.10 last night, and today did 13 scans in 2.3.11. All good so far
2017 10th July: Servers seem better,so far
9th July: Possible server side problems,will do full re run on the 10th
2017 28th June: 2.3.10 UPDATE : ALL 101 SCANS VERIFIED(T6 working,no crashes), Guide Ver. 1.1 Verified
PvflBwh.jpg

INFO and THANKS
Thanks : Cmdr masCh KisieL & ALL at CANONN ( Maps, live Obelisk locations & Combination for each live Obelisk)
Guide(Scan combinations)/Overlay by me.
Mission Reward : 201 Million Credits
Scans : 101
Time : From 5.5 Hours upwards

DESCRIPTION
The idea of this mission is to go to different Ancient Ruin sites and scan the obelisks, to gain knowledge of the Guardians (culture,language,technology etc).
Scanning is done using your SRV, whilst carrying one or 2 Ancient Artifacts . These Artifacts can also be found in the Ruins.
(6 Artifacts : Casket, Orb, Relic which has to be shot off its pedestal,Tablet, Totem & Urn)

The hardest part of this mission was to find the Ruins, see which Obelisks were "Live" and figure out which combinations of Artifacts will unlock the secrets of the Guardians,hence giving you a successful scan. The credit for finding and figuring out the above goes to CANONN and their brilliant player base !!!

The Guide itself was just hugely time consuming, and believe it or not, I did for myself(as I have repeated this mission many times)

NOTES & TIPS
  • Bonus : Trade Rank increases on handing this mission in.
  • Use any ship that makes you happy, my advice ? DBX(cheap,everyone can afford it,fits snugly everywhere)
  • Make Bookmarks on Galaxy map if repeating this mission
  • Some planets have more than one Ruin,use Bearing Finder(LINKS section) to make life easier
  • Sometimes after a scan you are given a connection error and thrown in to the main menu(being fixed for 2.3.10)
  • Follow my route, or use the database links and pave your own way
  • Tip : Route 1 : Do the 1st 3 maps then hand mission in, that's 44M Cr in just over 2 hours(you don't have to do all 101 scans)
    [*]WARNING : ANCIENT ARTIFACTS are CARGO, you can be INTERDICTED on the way back to the bubble !!!
    [*]Tip : Dump your Artifacts before leaving last Ruin,not only you increase your range on the way home, you won't get interdicted!
  • Clear your DATA,as it gets filled up with "Pattern....." Data after every scan
    By "Clear your DATA" I only mean the ones starting with "PATTERN......" , not any other precious data !!!!!!
  • If you die, your progress is SAFE. You will however lose your artifacts !
  • Always compare your current REWARD in the TRANSACTIONS tab to how many scans you have done(in case you make a mistake)
  • If you do ALL 101 scans, you get a 100 Million Credit bonus
  • I mostly use an Asp Explorer, but I now think I prefer using my DBX for this mission :) (smaller means turret activates closer to ship,also less hassle if landing on a bump)
  • Tip : Landing positions on maps are for medium and small ships,mainly optimised for the DBX,bigger ships might not fit, or be too close to Obelisks to activate turret
    [*]Tip : Do NOT dismiss ship !!!!!! Ever !!!!!! If you do,when you want it back, you have to go at least 2km from Ruin to be able to recall it.
  • Tip : Do the first 3 sites(all on same planet) then take a break. You have now done nearly half the mission(43.5%) !
  • Tip : Don't save notifications if you don't want to. I have a link to the full lore in the LINKS spoiler
  • Tip : If you decide to do this mission more than once, print out the maps and make your own notes on each,trust me it makes life easier :)
    [*]Tip : When counting Obelisks in a group to get to the correct one for scanning, the broken ones also count,as they have same symbol in maps as the whole ones

PREPARATION
1) Get a Medium sized ship with good range, above 30 LYs(to lessen the tedium,lesser range is still ok)
Note : Large ships are OK too, just they are too big for parts of the Ruins :D (but OK to take)
2) Put on it a Fuel Scoop, SRV, 12t Cargo space needed(11 really , as you only need one relic), Adv. Discovery Scanner(Detailed scanner optional)
3) Get 3 Sulphur & 3 Phosphorus (SRV refueling) , even 1 of each should do as I usually get away without refueling,only just mind.
4) Head over to MEENE , FELICE DOCK
5) When you dock there, you should automatically get the mission. Check TRANSACTIONS tab.
6) Head over to SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0 CD1 and open the ANCIENT ARTIFACT LOCATIONS map(in MAPS/GUIDE section) and pick up 2 of EACH Artifact. You should have 2 Caskets, 2 Orbs, 2 Relics which has to be shot off its pedestal,2 Tablets, 2 Totems & 2 Urns.
NOTE : ONLY 1 RELIC NEEDED(but they are so easy to find), and 11t cargo space
p.s. Each of the 15 sites I will be sending you to also has all these Artifacts.
7) Now we're ready to Scan this 1st site :)

GUIDE VERSION 1.1
(Specific examples/map references/# of pages, in this section, refer to ROUTE 1)
1) Print or open Page 1 map on a spare screen(also print the blank missions sheet, if you wish to tick off each item as you scan it)
2) Go to the System, Planet & location on that map.(We are there already :) )
3) Optional : park up on the arrow,this gives a point of reference(or go to your own area that you are more comfy with)
4) Leave ship LIGHTS ON(again gives you a good reference,especially when under your ship to quickly figure out front/back)
5) Exit in SRV
6) Load SRV with the required Artifact(s). If we take Page 1 as an example, 1st item is C15(ToTo on the map). That means put 2 Totems in your SRV and head to the location of the Obelisk.
6a) If you're having trouble locating the Obelisk, go up in the air with your SRV. You'll be surprised how much more you can see !
7) When at the correct Obelisk, face it(not too close), select it, then Scan. If you're successful you'll get notification(if no notification which sometimes happens when it's delayed, then check Transactions tab to see how much your current reward is : each scan=1 Million Cr)
8) If the item you just did had an asterix * after it, it means you already have the correct items in your SRV for the next scan, hence saving time by not having to go back to your ship.
9) Go back to ship, look at item 2 (in our case 2 C16, ToCa* on map) means put a Totem and a Casket in your SRV before you go to the Obelisk to scan it. Also notice it had a * after it,means you have the right items in your SRV for the next scan too.
10) Repeat until all items have been done
11) Do NOT delete any NOTIFICATIONS until you have finished the page you're on, and checked that your Reward(In Transactions tab) is the same as GRAND TOTAL on the page. (after Page 1 you should have 18 Million)
12) If you get a mismatch, go through notifications and my map to work out which one you messed up :D
13) If all is good, and before going to Page 2, clear notifications, clear DATA from all "Pattern....." data, get next map ready, and go !
14) Do all 15 pages
15) Once all 101 scans are done, go back to FELICE DOCK and hand mission in.
16) To do this mission again, undock from FELICE DOCK, then go back and redock(you will be given the mission again). Sometimes if that doesn't work, go in to SC then come back and dock.

BLANK CHECK SHEET
Use this if you intend to do this mission in several sessions. This keeps track of your progress. e.g. If you do a T7 then tick off TECH 7.
(Alpha, Beta & Gamma are each site's type designation as any given site you visit will be one of those 3)
lYmVSKb.jpg
================
ROUTE 1
BOOKMARKS(In order of Route 1)
Tip : To make your bookmarks show in order,and make sense, use a sorting code in the name of the bookmark like(using first destination) AGM01 , A01:SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0, ANCIENT 01 : SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0 , Guardians 01, or any other form that you will understand.
SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0
SYNUEFE LY-I B42-2
COL 173 SECTOR AP-Q B21-2
COL 173 SECTOR LY-Q D5-13
VELA DARK REGION KR-W C1-24
VELA DARK REGION EL-Y D32
HIP 39768
SYNUEFE CE-R C21-6
SYNUEFE ZL-J D10-109
SYNUEFE ZR-I B43-10

TIMES & CREDITS(experienced:5.5 hours, new:>8 hours)
(These times are for those who are repeating,first timers should nearly double the times)
All times in minutes
A. MEENE to 1st Location : 21
B. Finding 12 Artifacts : 14
C. Completing each Ruins/Page
1. 28 (Timer starts after landing, includes all scans, and landing at next Ruins/Page)
2. 13
3. 35
4. 8
5. 27
6. 17
7. 16
8. 17
9. 19
10. 22
11. 18
12. 19
13. 15
14. 24
15. 4
D. From last location to MEENE : 18
============
TOTAL : 335 Mins (5h 35m) , First Timers --->>> 8 or more hours
Credits/Hour : 36.5 Million, First Timers --->>> 12-25 Million
FOOTNOTE : On this run I was going round fairly briskly but not super fast,I was also checking each scan versus the notification I got(and recording times) . This run was in SOLO.

MAPS/GRAPHICS
ANCIENT ARTIFACTS LOCATIONS
SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0
BgXpyNB.jpg

GUIDE PAGES 1-15

aq793LD.jpg

qiKqSgn.jpg

YuHWrRb.jpg

RcuXcwa.jpg

anWfFnz.jpg

biF3JAM.jpg

juImZHo.jpg

KuSbtyg.jpg

Ye5HBJG.jpg

WRjfb0z.jpg

H6gL2Sq.jpg

E4RR1u7.jpg

5Giuvg1.jpg

rzfsUw1.jpg

Original Page 15

5tG1Upd.jpg

New Page 15 as some got confused,including me :D
(You can use the finger coming out of the central area as a guide)
7I6lirm.jpg
ROUTE 2(Faster than ROUTE 1)
(ROUTE 2 verified : 19th July 2017, by Dognosh)
ROUTE 2 was calculated by CANONN ROUTE OPTIMISER
BOOKMARKS(In order of Route 2)
Tip : To make your bookmarks show in order,and make sense, use a sorting code in the name of the bookmark like(using first destination) AGM01 , A01:SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0, ANCIENT 01 : SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0 , Guardians 01, or any other form that you will understand.
SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0
HIP 39768
SYNUEFE ZL-J D10-109
COL 173 SECTOR OE-P D6-11
COL 173 SECTOR LY-Q D5-59
COL 173 SECTOR XG-J C10-17
COL 173 SECTOR UU-O D6-20
COL 173 SECTOR UU-O D6-30
COL 173 SECTOR YG-A C15-20
COL 173 SECTOR OC-C B29-1

TIMES & CREDITS(coming soon)

MAPS/GRAPHICS
ANCIENT ARTIFACTS LOCATIONS
SYNUEFE TP-F B44-0
BgXpyNB.jpg

GUIDE PAGES 1-11

Warning : Even though Page 1 in this Route looks like the one in Route 1, there is ONE MORE SCAN in this Route
JAxtl9M.jpg

VxVufGi.jpg

bFdnsAb.jpg

dANHxBT.jpg

UisyiY5.jpg

ggHWmPD.jpg

CCwtdBt.jpg

Rg93v3j.jpg

nTOXuTU.jpg

VZ6Dlda.jpg

5UHjxPv.jpg
================
LINKS
Ruins Database : http://www.nusantara.com.my/EliteDangerous/ruins1.html
Ruins Database : https://ruins.canonn.technology/
Bearing Finder : http://hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/
All the info from scans(the lore),not my work , warning spoiler --->>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1STMWS39N8kpTWJkuoP3haKfNDwNpN03UzP7ZG3gY7xc/edit?usp=sharing
edit : It means you don't have to save all the notifications. Just finish the mission and read this,it is a good read !!!

Neutron star shortcut(saves 2 jumps) : At Cmdr's risk :D https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...9-The-Canonn?p=5146082&viewfull=1#post5146082
Coordinates of each Obelisk(Thanks williewisp) : http://uploaded.net/file/rodzpdh9

ALTERNATIVE ROUTES
This looks superb ! Will try it soon--->>> CANONN ROUTE OPTIMISER(British spelling :D) (once loaded click on 'Optimize')
Might even do the route I got from it into another pictorial guide(Edit : I am ! , calling it Route 2)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the Guide here, I would never have come across it in the Guides Section unless I knew it was there.

Are we any further forward in understanding who the Guardians are? Has our knowledge of them stopped with the completion of these missions?

Thanks for posting the Guide here, I would never have come across it in the Guides Section unless I knew it was there.

Are we any further forward in understanding who the Guardians are? Has our knowledge of them stopped with the completion of these missions?

Questions for CANONN Research :)
I think this is the 1st stage(also some are still trying to decode the flashing graphics on each Obelisk), the descriptions after each scan gives us a decent insight in to the Guardians.

Man, that is quite the guide!

I've not been over to the ruins in awhile now, and I've never come close to completing the ruins mission yet. Maybe I'll do the whole gauntlet once just to get the credits. Any idea how long it takes roughly to complete all 101 scans?

Working on writing my own version of this. If my current venture is successful, then I should be able to put forth a sort of "speed-guide" to accomplish this in as few jumps as possible.
As always, choice of ships is yours, but you're hard pressed to beat a properly fitted Dolphin: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/dol...==.Aw1/kA==..EweloBhBGA2GAsICmBDA5gG2SGF9A===

With a little engineering, the jump range is easily in the 30's, and as a small ship you'll have no problems finding a place to make a landing.

It's slow-going, especially during the week, as my play time is somewhat limited, but I do manage at least a couple hours every night.

Wow this is one hell of a thread. I had given up on the sites as there were so many now and it was bugged. Will come back post update, I want to complete it just once!

Wish I could multirep.

Thanks for the guide.

Just a question, why did you suggest to start at Synuefe region and go around ending back at Synuefe? Is this the optimum route? Without opening the galaxy map myself, I would have thought you could do the Syunefe ones first before going to COL 173 Sectors and Vela Dark Region areas.

Suggestion : because you suggest to start at Synuefe TP-F B44-0 CD 1 (59.33,15.1) [Page 1], why don't we label up where to get all the artefacts on that map? It would save a trip going to Synuefe XR-H D11-102 just to collect artefacts.

Working on writing my own version of this. If my current venture is successful, then I should be able to put forth a sort of "speed-guide" to accomplish this in as few jumps as possible.
As always, choice of ships is yours, but you're hard pressed to beat a properly fitted Dolphin: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/dol...==.Aw1/kA==..EweloBhBGA2GAsICmBDA5gG2SGF9A===

With a little engineering, the jump range is easily in the 30's, and as a small ship you'll have no problems finding a place to make a landing.

It's slow-going, especially during the week, as my play time is somewhat limited, but I do manage at least a couple hours every night.

I thought about that(least jumps) then realised the actual travel breaks the monotony of scanning,so decided 10 jumps and 15 Ruins was spot on Cmdr .

Thanks to all those who repped me, means a lot ,you guys :)

Thanks for the guide.

Just a question, why did you suggest to start at Synuefe region and go around ending back at Synuefe? Is this the optimum route? Without opening the galaxy map myself, I would have thought you could do the Syunefe ones first before going to COL 173 Sectors and Vela Dark Region areas.

Suggestion : because you suggest to start at Synuefe TP-F B44-0 CD 1 (59.33,15.1) [Page 1], why don't we label up where to get all the artefacts on that map? It would save a trip going to Synuefe XR-H D11-102 just to collect artefacts.

Because it is on the way,so you pick up the Ancient Artifacts and go to first scan site. As I said, this was purely for me until today,and I decided the route after bookmarking all 10 systems, by all means do it differently if you wish.

P.s. my point is the guide was not built from ground up for the public :)

Last edited:
Great guide. However, one thing I have to warn against, I have also completed the mission multiple times before last patch. The guide suggests

"Notifications section in your cockpit fills up rapidly, keep it tidy(delete them)"

I strongly advise against this. It is easily possible that you make a mistake in your notes (especially after a few beer), and sit at 100/101 scans at the end. Without the notifications about completed scans, it is impossible to reliably say which scans you definitely have completed. Only clear the notifications after you hand in the mission so you are always able to clearly identify missing scans.

Last edited:
Great guide. However, one thing I have to warn against, I have also completed the mission multiple times before last patch. The guide suggests

"Notifications section in your cockpit fills up rapidly, keep it tidy(delete them)"

I strongly advise against this. It is easily possible that you make a mistake, and sit at 100/101 scans at the end. Without the notifications about completed scans, it is impossible to reliably say which scans you definitely have completed. Only clear the notifications after you hand in the mission so you are always able to clearly identify missing scans.

That was covered, I suggested cleansing after finishing each site and checking against the grand total, have a look ;)
My way means you don't leave each site unless you've done it correctly,so you don't find out mistakes once you're all the way back at Meene

Last edited:
Understood. However, I believe it is still a good idea to keep all notifications until completion just as a safeguard - mistakes happen after eyes bleed from dozens of scans, and this at least allows to recover from human error even close to the end of the mission.

Understood. However, I believe it is still a good idea to keep all notifications until completion just as a safeguard - mistakes happen after eyes bleed from dozens of scans, and this at least allows to recover from human error even close to the end of the mission.

That is a fair assumption.

Typical Dognosh, comes back after leave of absence and he's exposing himself to the max already ;)

Oi, get back to the exploration forum:D

Top Bottom