Animal request: Helmeted guineafowl

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I would love to have helmeted guineafowls in Planet Zoo. Personally I find them a great addition for animal exhibits that also house one or more other African animals.
  • Just like chickens they search for their food on the ground
  • They live in large groups
  • They make a characteristic sound that greatly contributes to an 'African vibe' since other African animals usually don't make a lot of sound
  • They are very active and bring more life into an exhibit, especially when they are in a group of at least 20 birds, and won't cause any problems with other animals such as giraffes, zebras, antelopes, rhinos and ostriches.
More info on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmeted_guineafowl (including a sound sample)

It may be a weird request, because I have no idea what other people think of helmeted guineafowls. I know that these birds can be found in most Dutch zoos, where they are successfully kept in exhibits with other African animals and where (like I said) they bring more life into the exhibits; there's more to see (and to hear!!!) for the guests.

I would love these to make it in - they are the funniest and most incredible birds to watch - we had them where I used to work and we were often in hysterics as they ran around the property. They would race around chasing each other - it was like Guineafowl-lymics - for HOURS - as if once around they had forgotten they had just run this huge circuit and then they'd do it all over again - they never tired! And they are so fast - love these birds.
They eat ticks too - which are a huge problem where I live, so love them.
People here get them just to eat all the ticks.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I would love these to make it in - they are the funniest and most incredible birds to watch - we had them where I used to work and we were often in hysterics as they ran around the property. They would race around chasing each other - it was like Guineafowl-lymics - for HOURS - as if once around they had forgotten they had just run this huge circuit and then they'd do it all over again - they never tired! And they are so fast - love these birds.
They eat ticks too - which are a huge problem where I live, so love them.
People here get them just to eat all the ticks.
Typically guineafowls. Thanks! 😄

I would love to have helmeted guineafowls in Planet Zoo. Personally I find them a great addition for animal exhibits that also house one or more other African animals.
  • Just like chickens they search for their food on the ground
  • They live in large groups
  • They make a characteristic sound that greatly contributes to an 'African vibe' since other African animals usually don't make a lot of sound
  • They are very active and bring more life into an exhibit, especially when they are in a group of at least 20 birds, and won't cause any problems with other animals such as giraffes, zebras, antelopes, rhinos and ostriches.
More info on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmeted_guineafowl (including a sound sample)

It may be a weird request, because I have no idea what other people think of helmeted guineafowls. I know that these birds can be found in most Dutch zoos, where they are successfully kept in exhibits with other African animals and where (like I said) they bring more life into the exhibits; there's more to see (and to hear!!!) for the guests.

View attachment 130164

Those would be hard to make, it just screams Moiré-effect all over the place.

Top Bottom