Animal Wishlist

Hi, Just mentioning some animals that I hope make it in to the game at some point. Some of them are pretty endangered and hardly known about so I think it would be awesome if this game could be used to raise awareness about them:

Ethiopian Wolf - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_wolf
Pangolin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin
Przewalski's horse - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przewalski's_horse
Saola - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saola
Maned Wolf - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maned_wolf
Dhole - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhole
Honey Badger - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger
Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_cockatoo
Kakapo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo

That's just a few suggestions :)

Hmm...I hope you mind my thoughts on your suggestions:

Ethiopian Wolf: ZT2's African Adventure had these animals. They're really rare and quite an interesting species, but I don't think some people would be happy seeing a 'gray wolf reskin' (Even though it's red and a bit smaller)

Pangolin: If the datamining is to be believed, it's in the game. A chinese pangolin, to be precise.

Prezwalski's Horse: Sounds really neat. I think it's something for a future DLC.

Saola: I'm not too keen on this guy. They're super rare, and no one has ever kept these animals in captivity. I personally think that animals never kept in captivity before is a silly idea to be put in PZ, as it aims to be a realistic type of zoo game (then again, I could be wrong...)

Maned wolf: I kinda like this long-legged canine. Would make a nice addition to the PZ roster,

Dholes: Um... I dunno, some would think they're just 'shrinkwrapped wolves' with a blotch of red.

Honey badgers: Now here's a neat creature. This small beast fears nothing. Would be great to see this badger taking on a lion or a leopard in PZ. ZT2's African Adventure had these.

Red-tailed black cockatoo: Parrots and cockatoos fly, and as of now we don't have flying birds. I don't think FD will add them anytime soon, as I heard from the others that making flying birds isn't a walk in the park.

Kakapo: Could be feasible, as it doesn't fly. It might be fit in some NZ DLC.

That's just my opinion.

These are some amazing animals but I agree that a saola wouldn’t be a priority for me as there are none in captivity. Same with the Ethiopian wolf. I love kākāpō but they aren’t in zoos either - although some individuals make occasional appearances in NZ collections as part of the rescue programme.

That is true about the saola and Ethiopian Wolf, I just think they need a bit more recognition and help as they are super endangered and Ethiopians do look quite different from normal wolves.

Let's hope birds make it in to future DLC :D

I’m hoping for the Przewalski’s horse too, they’d be great in a boreal zoo and the maned wolf is such a cool animal - and we could definitely do with more South American species so fingers crossed.

Ethiopian Wolf: ZT2's African Adventure had these animals. They're really rare and quite an interesting species, but I don't think some people would be happy seeing a 'gray wolf reskin' (Even though it's red and a bit smaller)

Dholes: Um... I dunno, some would think they're just 'shrinkwrapped wolves' with a blotch of red.

I really hope people don't get too up in arms about animals that are "slight reskins" or adapted models. I would fully understand it if that was all they were providing for DLC (giving us smaller versions of existing animals with different fur colors/patterns), but I doubt that will be the case... And unless we want to be limited with what we have in our zoos, doing that sort of thing is kind of necessary.

I would rather Fronteir use the grey wolf as a starting point, and over time put an Ethiopian wolf and dhole in a game rather than not have them in there at all. Haha.

I’m hoping for the Przewalski’s horse too, they’d be great in a boreal zoo and the maned wolf is such a cool animal - and we could definitely do with more South American species so fingers crossed.

The Prezwalski's horse is the second most iconic wild horse (behind the zebra) so I can see this happening for DLC. I am all about having maned wolves too (and hopefully as part of a South American pack, because... well, that's a huge gap in the available species list currently).

It kinda irks me when I read people getting upset over "reskinned" animals. Who cares? That clearly wasn't a worry in past zoo games, not really sure why getting a new species that looks similar to others is a trigger for people now.

Not to mention people getting upset over that probably have 0 idea how much time and money is put into making one animal; it makes 110% sense to reuse rigs and models (to an extent) when so much time was already put into it. Plus it gives us more animals in a quicker time, so why not?

That is to say, I'd love Ethiopian wolf and dhole, I wouldn't be upset at all. Give me all the wolfies and doggos, I say!

Also I don't really care if an animal is normally seen in a zoo or not, I think that's an unnecessary restriction in a fictional zoo game. Gimme those kakapos. And if they release a badger I really hope they also give us a wolverine.

I totally agree with you, Silhouette.
And shock horror! Even in reality, animals are oftentimes just "reskins" of related species! Obviously, species of the same genus will feature similar behaviors and share many traits. That's the thing with evolution. I do not expect a coyote to hop like a kangaroo.

Personally, I wouldn't even mind, if we get an European version of the timber wolve with adjusted habitat needs (e.g no desire for snow, more tolerance regarding plant coverage etc.). If there would be slight fur differences, even better!
The visual differences in habitat layout will be noticeable enough and make it worth the relatively low development effort.
An effort that, by the way, certainly would not take away development time for other, more unique animals. Should Frontier decide to add them, they will do so anyway. The "reskinned" variants just would be added on top!

There are two things rather spoiling the argument that the Ethiopian wolf and (especially) the saola shouldn't be in Planet Zoo because it isn't realistic:

1) The saola >is< going to be kept in captivity in the near future - a breeding centre is currently being built in Vietnam with a second one possibly coming to Laos a few years later. A lot of conservationists are now saying that without a captive breeding programme, the saola is basically doomed because of the sheer amount of snaring across its entire native range. I think Planet Zoo would be all the better for including species for which captive breeding programmes are recommended or planned, even if they haven't come about yet.

2) The idea of zoo-based realism in animal choices went straight out the window with the inclusion of the Titan beetle. They have never been kept alive in captivity and nobody has ever seen the larva of the species, even in the wild (the current theory is that they feed on the wood and roots of giant tropical trees and take several years to grow). Yet apparently in Planet Zoo they can be kept alive and bred without much challenge.

As for reskins - anything that bumps species diversity (I wouldn't be so keen to see tonnes of subspecies, maybe a couple for the more charismatic species) without creating massive extra work for Frontier can only be a good thing in my book.

1) The saola >is< going to be kept in captivity in the near future - a breeding centre is currently being built in Vietnam with a second one possibly coming to Laos a few years later. A lot of conservationists are now saying that without a captive breeding programme, the saola is basically doomed because of the sheer amount of snaring across its entire native range.
I don't think this is valid, as the breeding centre is pretty much still semi-wild keeping, not a zoo-like captivity. The plans about breeding centres are nice and I am huge fan of it, BUT we don't know if it will even work as we have pretty much no info about how Saolas behave and how they handle captivity.

Also, coding behavior of animal we know pretty much nothing about, is something I feel Frontier wouldn't get into

As for reskins - anything that bumps species diversity (I wouldn't be so keen to see tonnes of subspecies, maybe a couple for the more charismatic species) without creating massive extra work for Frontier can only be a good thing in my book.
Give us all the zebras!!! :D

Ah, I LOVE Przewalski's horses in Zoo Tycoon 2! I hope we get them. Thanks for reminding me to put them on my wishlist! :giggle:

About reskins...I’m a little wary of them and I’d like to share why. Let’s say we have a red fox, and we want to add an artic fox. So the model is tweaked a little, the size changed, needs are different and done! An artic fox!

This artic fox...there’s good companies that will put a lot of though on making it unique regardless of having used another animal as a base. Like making new animations, sounds and behavior that this fox and not the red one display; and removing the ones that doesn’t really work well. And making this new material and the reused one consistent, and balancing it to the other animals. Using the red fox as a base and reusing red fox material won’t make the artic fox worse.

But that’s just if the company do things right. And unfortunately, there’s so many bad, lazy or just to small companies out there that won’t deliver this result (not you Frontier!).

So a lot of times, we’ll have an artic fox that minus a very superficial visual changes, it’s an exact copy of the red one. I don’t like that. Two animals being similar doesn’t mind that are identical, and you can’t just copy one on the body of another. Some work have to be done, even if it’s so much less work than starting from scratch. Some games don’t even bother to fix the reskins animations of clipping issues! Like on the fox example, the snout will be different, and will need some little tweaking for properly using it on the environment. Or it will be blatantly obvious the model is behaving with the original rig without adjusting.

Well, in short, I don’t mind reskins when are made right. But I’m always wary of them. Using a base is no excuse for not polishing the result.

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see that a lot of you guys share my opinion regarding the animals mentioned :D

To be honest, I didn't really look at it from a game stand point (as in reskins, realism, etc) but more from a 'this game wants to promote conservation then why not feature some of the most endangered animals out there to raise awareness for them and try and help save them' kind of thing XD

And I think Ethiopian wolves look different enough from grey wolves to stand out as they have totally different stature, colours, habits, environment, diet and everything. They're such a beautiful animal that hardly anyone knows about.

Same reason for wanting kakapos, we are so close to losing this exceptionally interesting, intelligent and beautiful bird and hardly anyone seems to have heard of them D:

I'd love to have the Maned Wolf. Very majestic creature.

Fun fact: Police visited Blijdorp Zoo pretty often in the early stages when they still had the Maned Wolf. It's feaces has a very strong Cannabis smell, which people reported to the police, suspecting a illegal Hemp farm. 😂

Side rhetoric question:

Does one call an ocelot a margay reskin? A rhea as a shrinkwrapped emu? Or a python an oversized boa? A viceroy butterfly is actually a monarch with slight wing patterns?

Don't blame evolution for making an animal species similar to their taxonomic relatives.

SIMILAR but not identical. There are differences, or people wouldn’t want them as different animals otherwise!

If it’s done properly and the animal doesn’t have any issues with the reskin, the animations or it’s behavior, that’s fantastic! If the only difference irl is a different wing pattern and a slightly different way of eating, creating it will be much less work and I’m all for it.

I can’t think of any animal in reality that differ from another only by its color exclusively, and all other proportions, size, behavior, diet, voice, etc. are exactly the same.

It kinda irks me when I read people getting upset over "reskinned" animals. Who cares? That clearly wasn't a worry in past zoo games, not really sure why getting a new species that looks similar to others is a trigger for people now.

Not to mention people getting upset over that probably have 0 idea how much time and money is put into making one animal; it makes 110% sense to reuse rigs and models (to an extent) when so much time was already put into it. Plus it gives us more animals in a quicker time, so why not?

That is to say, I'd love Ethiopian wolf and dhole, I wouldn't be upset at all. Give me all the wolfies and doggos, I say!

Also I don't really care if an animal is normally seen in a zoo or not, I think that's an unnecessary restriction in a fictional zoo game. Gimme those kakapos. And if they release a badger I really hope they also give us a wolverine.

This is exactly how I feel. So long as the model and skin is adapted appropriately for the new animal, and requires enough of a change in environment to inspire a different exhibit format, decor, et cetera? I'm all about it! Especially if it gets us more animals quicker. Reading this thread, I've started to daydream about designing a section of a zoo dedicated entirely to species of wild dogs from across the world. Or mustelids (wolverines, badgers, otters, weasels, etc).

I think people who get upset about "reskins" either don't really care about diversity in their zoos (i.e., they are fine with having limited animals so long as they all look completely different) or they have been burned in the past by companies selling DLC that's literally the same as something else in the game but a different color or just a slightly different size. I really don't think Frontier would do that sort of thing.

For me, I'm hoping for a combination of variations on existing animals to help flesh out variety across the board. For example: If they were to release a "Madagascar" DLC pack, I'd love for it to include a handful of new lemur species (red ruffed and black and white ruffed lemurs, sifaka, aye-aye), fossa, a new tortoise species, mongoose, and a few other exhibit creatures. Ultimately, the ruffed lemurs and the sifaka would probably be based on the same model but adapted to reflect the appropriate fur colors, features, etc. The behaviors would probably be fairly similar too, with slight variation. And I would assume the same would be true for the new tortoise species (based on existing models and adapted).

Probably relatively quick to develop compared to the aye-aye and fossa, for which there aren't a lot of similar animals in the game at the moment. But they could then utilize the fossa and the mongoose to create other, similar animals and so forth...

And I think a pack like that would balance out what people want well: Variety and feeling like the devs aren't just taking an existing animal, making a few minor tweaks and updating it. I don't think they would do that anyway, based on what we've seen so far but... I hope we get a balance of variations on existing animals and completely new ones at the start!

About reskins...I’m a little wary of them and I’d like to share why. Let’s say we have a red fox, and we want to add an artic fox. So the model is tweaked a little, the size changed, needs are different and done! An artic fox!

This artic fox...there’s good companies that will put a lot of though on making it unique regardless of having used another animal as a base. Like making new animations, sounds and behavior that this fox and not the red one display; and removing the ones that doesn’t really work well. And making this new material and the reused one consistent, and balancing it to the other animals. Using the red fox as a base and reusing red fox material won’t make the artic fox worse.

But that’s just if the company do things right. And unfortunately, there’s so many bad, lazy or just to small companies out there that won’t deliver this result (not you Frontier!).

So a lot of times, we’ll have an artic fox that minus a very superficial visual changes, it’s an exact copy of the red one. I don’t like that. Two animals being similar doesn’t mind that are identical, and you can’t just copy one on the body of another. Some work have to be done, even if it’s so much less work than starting from scratch. Some games don’t even bother to fix the reskins animations of clipping issues! Like on the fox example, the snout will be different, and will need some little tweaking for properly using it on the environment. Or it will be blatantly obvious the model is behaving with the original rig without adjusting.

Well, in short, I don’t mind reskins when are made right. But I’m always wary of them. Using abase is no excuse for not polishing the result.

I definitely hear you here. And the arctic fox is a good example because they are similar enough to red foxes but... There's some distinctive features in terms of shape and size. The behavior (I don't think, anyway) wouldn't be hugely different in terms of gameplay, but there are different requirements for environment for sure.

Given the level of detail that Frontier has gone into thus far with some of these animals (the orangutan, for example) I don't think this is a concern but yeah... I'm hoping for the same thing you are!

Side rhetoric question:

Does one call an ocelot a margay reskin? A rhea as a shrinkwrapped emu? Or a python an oversized boa? A viceroy butterfly is actually a monarch with slight wing patterns?

Don't blame evolution for making an animal species similar to their taxonomic relatives.

If they ever release a rhea, I'm naming it "Shrinkwrapped emu" when I put it in my zoo. 😃

I think most of the people in this thread are on-board with this sort of thing... And definitely not disagreeing that animals with similar behaviors and appearances should appear in the game. But there's definitely people who don't want to see things like what you're highlighting above. I'm all for anything that offers more species diversity, encourages different/unique habitat designs, and variety across zoos (mostly because, when I think about franchise mode? It would be nice to have each zoo I design have multiple biomes and still have decent variety).

In this kind of game people need to grow up and get over this reskin thing, because although the animals may appear to be reskinned the fact is theyre a different species/sub-species that desevlrves to be recognised and have its awareness raised just as much as the first related species released. And to keep in mind they will also probably like a different environment and temperatures :) so will make a different exhibit.

Well, there's a difference between having a plains and a grevy zebra and having 5 AGOUTI SPECIES!!. I'm more on the former.

Also to Alkaline Andy: If you see pictures, the rhea IS practically a smaller version of the emu.

Top Bottom