Animals you haven't used yet?

What animals have you never used in your zoos and why?

The only animals I have never used are:

• Polar bear - space requirements are insane; maybe I'll get to it one day,
  • Mandrill/Bonobo/Chimpanzee/Borneo Orangutan - I'm not a big fan of primates (yes, humans too!) and aside from smaller monkeys (like lemurs) I almost never use them,
  • Spotted Hyena - have no actual reason why I have never used them, they are just always kind of under the radar for me (they are actually beautiful and super intelligent animals!),
  • African/Indian Elephant - again, no actual reason expect they need a lot of space which means I have to build big (sigh), I'll get there someday, I swear,
  • Formosan Black Bear - I don't know why,
  • Indian Rhino - Again, would have to build big,
  • Southern Cassowary - It's the most recent so I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

It all comes down to the fact that I just don't like to build big and I use smaller habitat animals much more in my zoos (except felines, they get a pass 😺).

Would love to see your lists! :) I have used this site to quickly look through the animals: http://planetzoopedia.com/zoopedia/

For me it would be:
  • Siberian tiger, himalayan brown bear, aldabra tortoise and bonobo - I played with them in career, but in my own zoos I prefer their similar counterparts (bengal tiger, grizzly, galapagos tortoise and chimpanzee).
  • Polar bears - used them once, but I find it extremely hard to create realistic and good looking habitat thanks to the requirments.
  • Snow leopars - again, played with in career, but never used in my own zoo, not really sure why, I guess because I really do not like them that much in real life.
  • Few of the exhibit animals, mostly the spiders and bugs because they die too quickly.

I think the only animal I have never used is the bonobo, because I always choose the chimpanzee instead. I've never had more than 3 or 4 species of monkeys/apes in one zoo.

Probably I haven't used some of the snakes since I don't like them at all. And one of the beetles dies so fast that I used it once and never again.

I have used them all, but there are a handful I have no interest in using again, in any mode - Bonobos, Nyala and the exhibit centipede! In Franchise I think I'm done with Polar Bears and Peafowl, but I"ll still use them in Sandbox.

Used them all.

Polar bear took a very long time, but used it in 1 zoo.
The Thompson's gazelle was one of my first animals in my first zoo, never used it after that

Stopped using the Peafowl after a while. Don't want to put them on birth control all the time but if they breed, lots of peafowls and keeping my zoo keepers occupied all the time :D

I’ve used all but two. In beta I used a Nile monitor but as far as going all out and building a nice habitat for one I’m yet to do so. So I guess I’ve kinda used this one.
My second would be the Japanese macaque which to this day I still haven’t gotten around to making one for them.
Animals I commonly use are lion,tiger,elephant,gorilla,caribou,flamingo, and giraffes. Animals I don’t commonly use are bonobos,black bears,snow leopards,and tapirs. I do however like all the animals the game features to date.

Last edited:
What I always use:
Nile monitor
Savannah animals (antelopes, zebras, elephant, flamingo etc.)
Gharial
Hyena
Turtles
Peafowl
African buffalo (God, they are so beautiful in the game)
Aadvark
Pangolin
Lemurs
Capuchin
Okapi

What I haven't used yet
Bonobo (always choose the other one, sadly they cannot be in the same enclosure, I'd even like to put them with orangutans)
Arctic wolf (just never got there yet)

What I never use
all the beatles (die too quickly, no pun intended)
Achatina (always dead before they have kids or after few gens)

I achieved the "Zoologist" achievement today for completing the Zoopedia. So yes, I used them all, which is mainly because I opened a franchise zoo in every biome and in the zoos I keep animals only found in this specific biome. But to be honest, there are of course animals which I won't use again.
Like... Hippos. Or all of the antelopes. I guess, I'm just not an antelope-fan and they get stressed too easily. I ended up immuring my Bongos between solid walls with just one little window for the guests and they still freaked out. So, nope - no more Bongos for Britches! (and of course no Bongos in Britches, that'd look ridiculous and would be the perfect excuse for deleting this one little window for the guests as well!)

I built a zoo in antarctica just for the polar bears. It was like... "well, if you can't make a habitat big enough for the polar bears, just let the whole zoo be a habitat for them with just some little other enclosures inside for other animals". Somehow this zoo became one of my favourites, though I never thought this could be possible.

I'm super excited for all the animals that are still to come.

It kinda depends what you mean by that... if you mean like how many animals arent in your zoos you have built/completed, mine would be 90🙃. But animals that I've never really used, but want to are...

-Indian Elephant
-Bengal Tiger
-Siberian Tiger
-African Elephant
-Chimpanzee
-Polar Bear
-Snow Leopard

I think that I've used them all in missions or sandbox, haven't used that many in franchise.

Mainly because, in franchise, I'm mainly trying for global challenges in various ways while the others I'm mainly just messing around in. Franchise just doesn't have the cash flow early on for me to really experiment with for habitats.

Except Mandrills I do not use the apes. I do not like them. Lemures are okay in some way.
I have not still used Jaguar, Pygmy Hippopotamus, arctic wolf, reindeers, dall sheeps, big anteaters and thomson gazellen.
I just bought the dlcs and decided to upgrading my PC for PZ and it is still in work.^^

For Elite Dangerous, Frontier published the percentage of the galaxy explored and the most used ships.
It would be interesting to learn about some figures in Planet Zoo as well.

Personally, I haven’t hosted Polar Bears so far, nor could Orangutans be seen in my zoos.

Standard inhabitants (if the climate permits) are wolves and Dall Sheep (I love their climbing abilities in really steep terrain.)

For Elite Dangerous, Frontier published the percentage of the galaxy explored and the most used ships.
It would be interesting to learn about some figures in Planet Zoo as well.

Personally, I haven’t hosted Polar Bears so far, nor could Orangutans be seen in my zoos.

Standard inhabitants (if the climate permits) are wolves and Dall Sheep (I love their climbing abilities in really steep terrain.)

Interestingly, they did release a lot of stats on twitter on the one year anniversary.

For my zoos, I tend to avoid the following:

Peafowl - not sure why, they're quite cool and I used once in a really cool habitat.

Polar Bear - same space reasons, having seen Polar bears in Captivity in the UK the PZ requirements are extreme!

Spiders/ Insects - ill use the snakes, but not many. Seems a bit bugged when I use exhibits.

Komodo dragons - just can't get the habitat right.... maybe ill try again.

Animals I use that frustrate me:

Herd animals that scare easily! And need a high ratio of 1 male to female. Always leads to me worrying about incest.

Pygmy Hippos. If I get a Hippo, why the pygmy one's?

The animal i think is really cool - Camels. We must have Dromedary and Bactrian Camels though! And camel rides!

Love this game!

Interestingly, they did release a lot of stats on twitter on the one year anniversary.

For my zoos, I tend to avoid the following:

Peafowl - not sure why, they're quite cool and I used once in a really cool habitat.

Polar Bear - same space reasons, having seen Polar bears in Captivity in the UK the PZ requirements are extreme!

Spiders/ Insects - ill use the snakes, but not many. Seems a bit bugged when I use exhibits.

Komodo dragons - just can't get the habitat right.... maybe ill try again.

Animals I use that frustrate me:

Herd animals that scare easily! And need a high ratio of 1 male to female. Always leads to me worrying about incest.

Pygmy Hippos. If I get a Hippo, why the pygmy one's?

The animal i think is really cool - Camels. We must have Dromedary and Bactrian Camels though! And camel rides!

Love this game!
I have stopped worrying about incest when I've found out that incest can actually produce pretty good animals. I usually just leave all animals to breed into oblivion, throwing one or two animals with new blood into the habitat every 2-4th generation.

Almost non of the exhibit animals, except maybe 3-5.
Never used an Aldabra, always the Galapagos.If I remember correctly I never used a Bongo, but I could be wrong on this one. Might have had one in my first zoo, but I did not play that for long.
Never had a Bonobo, though I love apes. No Gharial ever lived in my game and also no Saltwater crocodile. Believe it or not, I only used Pigym Hipps, but never had a big Hippopotamus. Not sure on the Indian Rhino, but if I had one in Animalia, I abondoned the zoo soon after. Never had Komodo Dragon I believe. Not sure about the Sibirian Tiger. I believe I had one in Königsfreuden, but I could be mistaken. Always tend to use the Bengal one. Never had an Reticulated giraffe and no western chimpanzee (though, again, I love apes). And I only had the Springbok or the Thomson gazelle, but I would need to check which one.

Looking at the list, when you think about that I ignored almost all exhibit animals, it's not that bad.

EDIT: Forgot southern cassowarys. I'm really not fond of birds, so it's like my brainalways only counts three animals in the australia dlc.

Last edited:
At this point literally only two - the llama and the Thomson's gazelle.

If ever they add some more farmyard animals I might add the llama to a petting zoo, where it belongs. I don't use the gazelle because I have personal connections to springbok and the two are so similar that there's no point in using both. I love springbok.

Due to me building very slowly and progressing more or less by region, I have not used a single Asian and Australian animal (except for the Saltwater Crocodiles, who I used as American Alligator stand-in once), and about half of the African animals yet. I really want to use them all, though! (Except spiders. Nope. Not gonna happen.)

... the two are so similar that there's no point in using both. I love springbok.

If only they would actually spring! This would differentiate both gazelles well enough.
I’m a bit sad about this omission.

1605014073670.gif

Last edited:

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
It's interesting to read this thread, as it's great to get an insight into some of the minds of our community! Personally, I refrain from using arachnids, I do my best to avoid them in real life and in the virtual world. Of course, I have as many cats as possible in my zoos, but other than that, I'll try and use the other animals as fairly as I can :)

Red kangaroo, Southern cassowary and Dingo. I bought the Australian dlc and played around with some Koala habitats but the dlc really didn’t do much for me. I lost all interest after a week and haven’t messed with any of them since August.

Part of this might be because I’m very partial to building cold weather zoos, so I like to use animals like Snow leopards, Dall sheep and Reindeer. Idk. Hopefully I get enough inspiration to at least do something with the roos, but not being able to do a walkthrough with them is a bummer. Which by the way, I don’t get why they can’t be walkthrough but Giant anteaters can be. To me, it’s the same level of danger. Like, it should at least be possible to do walkthroughs with a female only group

Top Bottom