Community Event / Creation Announcing SpeedBowl 3 - Chasing Sanderling 9./10. November 3305

And copied from a Discord conversation, a glimpse into the science of it all. Data is from Bombelli (Speedbowl 2), so actual speeds are higher than at Margulis, but the math is still true.

I'll go bowling!

I don't expect to place though!

Tried some practice runs last night, first 2 ended in fatal litho-braking the 3rd saw me pass 19km above Margulis at 3.5km/s but I survived it at least.

Trouble is I fly like a twitchy drunk in FA off.

How do the more experienced speed bowlers get into the start position?

I'll go bowling!

I don't expect to place though!

Tried some practice runs last night, first 2 ended in fatal litho-braking the 3rd saw me pass 19km above Margulis at 3.5km/s but I survived it at least.

Trouble is I fly like a twitchy drunk in FA off.

How do the more experienced speed bowlers get into the start position?
Ahh, now start position I can do. I basically start at the base, line up so I can fly between the towers and then keep going up at an angle of 40° into supercruise. Once I hit 200km altitude I level out and keep going until base is around 2Mm away (I think this may be on the high side for the experts - exact distance requires some trial and error for your own speedbowl approach I reckon). I then drop out of SC. At this point I'm typically around 205km altitude. Then swing around so you're facing back to the base and bring the ship to a stop. Now (assuming you're still above 200km) just apply a bit of down thrust so your speed (vertical at this point) gets to around 100m/s then ease off and let the speed drop back to zero. A few of these bursts will typically get you back down to exactly 200km at which point you're ready to rock and roll.

Pretty much what Alec said.

1.5 to 1.6 Mm seems more reliable though, and I usually try to stop my ascend lower than 200 km and climb the rest in normal space. But other than that.... Bang on.

I want to remind you (and everyone else for that matter), that threading the gap between the tower is not a requirement for a valid run - that's just boasting rights. ;)

Pretty much what Alec said.

1.5 to 1.6 Mm seems more reliable though, and I usually try to stop my ascend lower than 200 km and climb the rest in normal space. But other than that.... Bang on.

I want to remind you (and everyone else for that matter), that threading the gap between the tower is not a requirement for a valid run - that's just boasting rights. ;)

I'll be happy to hit the 2km window and survive the flight personally :)

Had a training run this morning which ended in a Hauler-sized dent in the side of the tallest tower. Just over 3900m/s, so I'm not worrying anyone :)

Respawned at Furokawa and tried to return to Margulis, but had forgotten to restore my normal keybinds, resulting in bouncing uncontrollably around inside the station, getting loitering fines and finally going boom again.

Respawned at a prison facility, fixed the keybinds and returned to Margulis, then logged off.

ARX earned: 14 (13 for combat and 1 for exploration) 🤪

Last edited:
"Intent to run"

Yeehaw! First successful run done; uploading to the tube, then the Discord. No tower gap shot, but a close fly-by.

Top Bottom