Another Fleet Carrier thread

Greetings,

Playing the game since Beta in 2014 and have three accounts (two PC and one PS4). Lots of engineered ships and billions of credits. Even the PS4 has 5 billion. My main account has 26 engineered ships and 10 billion credits. I hate deleting a ship after all the dedication to engineer it even if I don't use the thing. One of my PC accounts is an A-rated engineered 50LY explorer Orca currently 12,000LY out from the bubble. It may become obsolete with a carrier that can jump 500LY.

I came to an "end game" moment this year so look to Frontier to give me something to do. I work the materials and other engineering requirements so when a new ship is released I can quickly engineer it then see it's abilities.

Now we are going to get Fleet Carriers. OK. Comments suggest that they are indestructible, can rearm and refuel and with materials we'll need to gather can jump 500 light years. We'll see. Maybe useful if I want to take a fleet into the boonies to Colonia, meet up with a current live player convoy, take a dedicated fleet designed to kill Thargoids without paying the ship transfer cost or just upsetting players in Open mode firing at me without a dent. That could work for meet 'n greet moments maybe getting players more into Open mode without getting killed.

Then again there is Multi-Crew. That could be interesting...

But what is the cost? Will it cost say 10-20 billion credits? Will I take the time to generate those credits plus with me I like to have a reserve thus are we talking up to 30 billion? Players who have figured out trading, passengers, the latest mining opportunities and even taking out Thargoids know what to do. Those only about combat with less pay outs not so much.

Some have posted on the Forum that the three Elite goals in the game are too easy. Once a player has invested the time, experience and skills needed to complete an Elite goal then yes they could be seen as easy. It takes a lot of ED game play to get to this level then a lot or repetition. But once there like any game once the player knows how to play it then all we have to do is play it. ED is no different.

But maybe the Frontier Devs added the Fleet Carrier to add a challenge going past the basic three Elite goals. I'll await the Beta test for Fleet Carriers...then we'll see. Hopefully the Beta cost will be 10 percent of live play.

Fly Safe

Last edited:
I think you're aiming too high. While they say that fleet carrier are supposed to be expencive, I doubt that they'll be locked behind that high numbers. Also, for accessibility I doubt that they'll be rank locked.

What I do expect is that while buying one will be much cheaper than what you describe, operative costs will be high. Actually moving these things around will probably be a serious money sink.

I believe "far less than 20 billion" is what we have heard so far. My guess/hope that it'll be about 1 billion for base carrier and another billion or two for the support ship that gives the specialization. Since the most expensive ship costs about 1 billion A-rated, it'd be a nice continuum. If cost much more, it'd be a horrifying grind for most players who don't have that kind of money.

I think end game content shouldn't be another grind towards some goal. That'd be just kicking the can down the road. One should rather look what people do if they keep playing after they have grinded everything they want and consider that the endgame and perhaps develop it as such.

I expect that your cost estimates are far too high. Remember, we forum regulars are not average players. What is expensive-but-manageable for most of us is crazy money for the bulk of the player base.

There may be other requirements, mats or whatever, as well as the fuel, which require more work - none of us know yet. But have no doubt, it will be attainable for the average player.

Greetings,

Playing the game since Beta in 2014 and have three accounts (two PC and one PS4). Lots of engineered ships and billions of credits. Even the PS4 has 5 billion. My main account has 26 engineered ships and 10 billion credits. I hate deleting a ship after all the dedication to engineer it even if I don't use the thing.

I came to an "end game" moment this year so look to Frontier to give me something to do. I work the materials and other engineering requirements so when a new ship is released I can quickly engineer it then see it's abilities.

Now we are going to get Fleet Carriers. OK. Comments suggest that they are indestructible, can rearm and refuel and with materials we'll need to gather can jump 500 light years. We'll see. Maybe useful if I want to take a fleet into the boonies to Colonia, meet up with a current convoy, take a dedicated fleet designed to kill Thargoids without paying the ship transfer cost or just upsetting players in Open mode firing at me without a dent. That could work for meet 'n greet moments maybe getting players more into Open mode without getting killed.

Then again there is Multi-Crew. That could be interesting...

But what is the cost? Will it cost say 20 billion credits? Will I take the time to generate those credits plus with me I like to have a reserve thus we are talking 30 billion? Players who have figured out trading, passengers, current mining opportunities and even taking out Thargoids know what to do. Those all only about combat with less pay outs not so much.

Many have posted on the Forum that the three Elite goals in the game are too easy. Once a player has invested the time, experience and skills needed to complete an Elite goal then yes they are easy. It takes a lot of ED gameplay to get to this level more than most games. But once there like any game once the player knows how to play it then all we have to do is play it. ED is no different.

But maybe the Frontier Devs added the Fleet Carrier to add a challenge going past the basic three Elite goals. I'll await the Beta test for Fleet Carriers...then we'll see.

Fly Safe
It's already been stated that 20 billion is far greater than the cost of a carrier. With that verbiage I'd assume they mean over twice as much.

The real cost will undoubtedly be ongoing expenses, including the special fuel and it's likely to be a price that will be paid in time, not credits.

...What I do expect is that while buying one will be much cheaper than what you describe, operative costs will be high. Actually moving these things around will probably be a serious money sink.

Maybe with refuel, rearm and hull degradation. It is already costly with a Cutter hull. With jump range maybe not and more about rares such as Polonium and Yttrium for current FSD injections but requiring a lot more of them. Then the "sneaky" Devs might go with a new material we can only get after exploding asteroids. Totally guessing here. Still it could be interesting with players knowledgeable in stacking FSD injection with Neutron stars.

I like the idea of the fleet carrier having a bit of a grind for fuel. This will force me to actually explore systems rather than just scan them.
When I say "grind" I mean like an hour or 2. Not a full week of play time.
The one downfall I see (for me personally) is that once ive got it out there, I have committed to bringing it back. I run a 78LY conda because I like being able to get back hom ASAP if I want/need to.
I wonder if we will see people abandoning carriers out in the black.

...Remember, we forum regulars are not average players. What is expensive-but-manageable for most of us is crazy money for the bulk of the player base.

There may be other requirements, mats or whatever, as well as the fuel, which require more work - none of us know yet. But have no doubt, it will be attainable for the average player.

Hopefully you are right for the "average" player whatever that is. For all I know the majority could be a player for two months, gets their Anaconda blown away without experience, engineering or insurance back to a Sidewinder then decides to go on with "real life". Good for them. Frontier shows great sales versus those actually playing. Just a guess.

As for us dedicated players with thousands of hours of game play over many years we have learned many skills but not everything. We all have tunnel vision per our game. While I've nailed many aspects of ED game play I often learn something new checking out the Forum. I once took on attacking planetary security system missions maybe a hundred times to get the mats. When C&P was introduced I quit. Those who moved on with thousands of missions know more than me. ED is a never ending game if one pushes the envelope with their game style.

One side note is that I hope all real terrorists in the world play ED, go to Open mode and kill other players. Call their ship "Allahu akbar" if they desire. It takes many hours to be on the winning side of Open mode combat so they might be too busy to kill real people.

But I'm getting off the subject which we are all guessing about until we get to fly the things.

Regards

The problem will be getting all the bromellite to fuel the carrier.

Yes, that's another mat. But then knowing how to acquire metals and minerals easy in the right places to complete missions with a Bromellite payoff is often easier than Osmium. Bromellite versus Osmium seems to be a 4:1 ratio. But it is good to refresh our abilities to gather mats so when the Fleet Carriers show up we might have the advanced game play skills to gather them...whatever they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom