Another one: an unreported Guardian Structure site at PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8

Here's another new one: I've found an unreported Guardian Structure on PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 1.

This site is less exciting for me than my last one because it's apparently not a new discovery: it was previously mapped by another explorer who sold the data but never mentioned the site here, on Reddit, or anyplace else on the web. I can't believe that anyone could map it, see the Guardian surface signal, and then just move on without having a look. So it can't be a new discovery... except that it is, to everyone but that solitary pilot.

This is a module blueprint site that resembles what Canonn Research calls the “Turtle” pattern. On the same planet there's a small number of bark mound locations, so it's an easy stop for blueprints and materials. It's a convenient distance from the system's arrival point (about 1200 ls).

In fact there are six other bodies in the system with bark mounds and one more that stopped me in my tracks: PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 3 A has 25 geological and 14 biological sites. Five of the biologicals are bark mounds, while the rest are Roseum Brain Trees. This is the first time I've seen Brain Trees share a body with another life form.

In addition there are three terraformables and a water world in the system. So it's a pretty nice one to visit for its data, its blueprint, and both raw and Guardian materials.

This system is located a little lower and to the west of my first-discovered Structure site, still well above the previously known Structures.

Finding both of these Structure sites has been pretty exciting for me; I feel like my ideas about more Guardian locations are bearing fruit now. But I won't be really satisfied unless I find one or more beacons up here, around 200 light years above the approximate center of the Guardian sites we were aware of.

The Search

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm conducting a survey above the rough middle of known Guardian space. My first search area is centered on WREGOE MC-Z B4 1-6; I've been examining every system I can jump to from that point. This turns out to be a very large number of systems. So far I've worked my way out to a forty light year radius, and I hope to look at everything within 64 light years of the center point. (It used to be 65, but I've just added some new equipment that it would be wise to have along, so my jump range has decreased. Here's hoping there was nothing amazing in that other light year, right?)

I'm not sure if I even imagined how long this one search area would take. It's a lot more systems than I expected.

My goal is to find the limits of the Guardian Structures area in every direction, and (possibly) additional nodes in the Guardian data network that we haven't seen yet, because the Beacons/Structures network, on its own, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Brain Tree Overload

The first thing I found was Brain Trees. Then I kept finding them. Then I found more.

They were an encouraging sign that there could be Guardian remnants around here. Whenever I found Brain Trees on a body, I investigated every location, noted the material composition of the planet or moon and the Brain Tree variety at each site, and I took a screenshot or six. It's been a pretty thorough project.

And here's why: if we ever had a detailed survey of Brain Tree sites around the Galaxy we might learn something interesting about their distribution, like whether the Guardians dispersed them from some central point. I like to imagine the remains of the giant Interstellar Brain Tree Cannon the Guardians used to shoot spores across the cosmos. Who wouldn't want to find that?

So far I've catalogued every Brain Tree location on 46 planets and moons; many of them have more than twenty locations each. And as much as I'd like to continue that for the data's sake... I'm pretty much done with Brain Trees. I could only face the 35 locations on the last planet by promising myself it would really be the last planet.

What I have to date is a sphere in space, roughly 80 light years in diameter, that contains almost all those Brain Trees. (There were a few stragglers I found on my way to and from the bubble.) I'll compile all my data sometime soon. It's a compact area, not far from the Guardian Structures, where a pilot can max out on every raw material except for those three odd ones you can get only by mining.

But you could set an army of explorers loose in the Galaxy to do this kind of survey, and they would never finish it.

So from now on I'll just note that BTs exist in a system and move on to look for for the Guardian remnants I'm really after. It bugs me, but I have to do more than one area in my lifetime.

Anyway, here's PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 1. It's in a nice spot!

Nice find. I scouted the area around the asteroid base in the pencil nebulae a while back, but didn't find anything guardian, "only" a strange human settlement.

Inspired by your find I plotted a route to a HIP near your system, basically just to find some brain trees. I was low-consciously FSS scanning one jump before my destination system when I saw .. wait what .. a guardian signal? o_O

Pencil Sector YJ-A c33 1. It has pylons and a terminal.

I have jumped for hours in the guardian area looking for new guardian things and came up empty. And now the route plotter directed me to a system with a previously unknown guardian structure.

It's quite close to your system so it could be part of a mini-bubble of guardian stuff.

I have jumped for hours in the guardian area looking for new guardian things and came up empty. And now the route plotter directed me to a system with a previously unknown guardian structure.
It's quite close to your system so it could be part of a mini-bubble of guardian stuff.

Oh, nice!

If you're near where I am I think you're seeing that the Guardian Structures area is just larger than we knew it was: I'm centering my search about 200 LY above the middle of the known area and my two finds are only about 60 and 70 LY above the formerly highest known Structure system. I'm pretty sure we'd find more below and on every side except the west, where there are many beacons that seem to form the area's limit.

If we start finding more beacons on every side we'll have a better idea of how big (and what shape) the area really is.

Last edited:
I saw you didn't report your two new guardian finds to canonn. Intentionally? In any case, canonn's guardian spreadsheet and report form is here: https://canonn.fyi/grsheet/ Disclaimer: I'm not a member of canonn but I appreciate their work.

Aside from meta thoughts about Frontier being lazy all I assume is brain trees indicate something guardian in systems a few light years away. Anything guardian, so I wouldn't be surprised finding guardian structures in the same remote places where we found guardian ruins.

Also I think the area west of Regor Sector is undersearched and deserves more attention. Brain trees extend like 600ly west of it yet all we have are a few guardian ruins around the megaship "the cete(?)". If this area just wouldn't be so huge... :D

The Canonn form requires you to enter pattern obelisk data along with the find, and won;t accept a submission without it. Since I don't relog over and over to see what random data comes up for each obelisk I don't have that information. At the new site I know you can bet Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, but there may also be others.

I agree that the Canonn list is a great resource. I'm using it myself! But there are barrriers here (and on the Brain Trees form) that make it difficult to make a submission.

The Canonn form requires you to enter pattern obelisk data along with the find, and won;t accept a submission without it. Since I don't relog over and over to see what random data comes up for each obelisk I don't have that information. At the new site I know you can bet Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, but there may also be others.

I agree that the Canonn list is a great resource. I'm using it myself! But there are barrriers here (and on the Brain Trees form) that make it difficult to make a submission.
Errrm, nope - obelisk data is optional - many just put 'I don't know how to do this' if anything. And you don't need to relog, just work out which groups of obelisks are present and which are lit up - and that never changes. I guess you're getting confused with the pattern data - but that's random so it's not recorded.

Never mind - plenty of sites are recorded and we only needed them for solving the Ram Tah mission, not much need anymore :)

And yet little things like this:

Keep preventing me from making a submission.

EDIT: In this particular case I can pull the latitude and longityude from my screenshots (though not for Brain Tree locations). But the Canonn forms routinely refuse input without information that's important to you, but not necessarily imporant to anybody else or is sometimes (like lat/long) obsolete. Which is fair enough: it's your form. But it doesn't encourage anyone else to contribute.

Last edited:
So, this is getting a little weird. After two months of staring at Brain Trees I've just landed at my third unknown Guardian Structure.

HIP 41730 13 G A is, like the last one, a body that was previously mapped even though this structure never seems to have been reported anyplace. The commander who mapped the moon was BACKER#35558, who does not sound like a pilot who's never heard of these Forums (or of Reddit either, I'd guess). I don't know why this site has never been mentioned. Like the others, this system falls within my search area above known Guardian space.

Its layout resembles what Canonn calls the "Bowl" pattern, like my first one, so I'm guessing it's a Weapon Blueprint site. I'll do the run tomorrow. It's late where I am now.

HIP 41730 has a ton of resources, though: there are 51 bodies here, and nine of them have combinations of biological and geological locations. It's a materials flea market out here. The system is west of my search center, like the last one. I need to clear a bunch of Brain Tree bookmarks off my Galmap before I can really see whatever pattern these three Structures suggest.

Now that I'm finally finding them I really hope to find a Vessel Blueprint site soon; that would tell me there (probably) really are Beacons up this way.

Attachments

• HIP_41730_13_G_A.jpg
    HIP_41730_13_G_A.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 304
So, yep, it's a Weapon Blueprint site. I finally abased myself before adjusted to the peculiarities of the Canonn submission form* to add all three of the Structures I've found, crediting the first CMDRs who mapped the second and third. You have to figure they took the trouble to look.

*Latitude and Longitude are required fields and cannot be left blank, which is obsolete but understandable; yet the How many "Active" Obelisks are there by Group? field will reject anything other than the expected patterns - but is okay with the field left blank.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaand... I'm at another one. This one is wholly undiscovered, again, which makes me feel all adventurous. But it's different.

It's quite small (ship for scale) and there are no targetable elements, no Sentinels, Pylons, no Databank. It identifies as a Structure but it's more like a different kind of ruin. This is new to me... though it may be old news to the rest of you. Have I missed something?

This is the fourth Structure up here above known Guardian space. I think I might start a new omnibus thread for the bunch of them since it does seem like I have a group of some kind. I'll post more about this site when I do. For now I kind of like just driving around (and on) it, and wondering what it could mean.

EDIT: This is interesting, though - when I try to log off I get the "Dangerous region" warning.
There are no obvious places to put them, but if this is an actual new thing I may go grab some Guardian items to haul up here, tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey, Factabulous tells me this really is new. According to my journal this is the first sighting of a "tiny2" Guardian Structure. Though it seems to be a pretty uninteresting one I"m heading out to get some artifacts so I can eject them all over the place in case that does something.

It's on WREGOE DQ-G D10-42 5 A.
So here I am, the first discoverer of the Galaxy's least interesting alien structure! Unless something blows up when I get back, I mean.

Last edited:
Last night I had one strange thing happen here. I'd piled up six of the seven artifacts and messed around with them for a little over ten minutes. I had the Key targeted, but I was looking the other way while chasing down one object so I could nudge it a little closer. There was a flash behind me and my COVAS said "Target Destroyed". Three other artifacts had also disappeared.

I have no idea what happened, and I've been trying to replicate it without success.

I brought all seven of the artifacts the second time and I piled them up, and waited; I rolled artifacts onto the Key to see if they would damage it; eventually, since I had an extra Relic, I left just the Key and a Relic sitting next to each other for fifteen minutes of pretty lightshow*, and then I shot the Relic until it was destroyed. That had no effect on the Key.

I have no idea what happened the first time, but if it meant anything it was clearly the wrong thing.

* the key does this on any surface you drop it on; just auroras and a glow. While I'm footnoting, though, I advise you to never try and put the Orb where you want it. That little sucker just rolls.

Yesterday's new Structure is on WREGOE KH-Z B41-0 C 3, about 34 light years above the center of my search area. It's what Canonn calls the "Fistbump" layout, so there aren't any blueprints here; but it does have four Guardian Technology Components and just three lone Sentinels, so I wish I'd known about it awhile back when I needed those materials. (I also got some Pattern Epsilon data here, but those seem to be randomized.) There are Roseum Brain Trees on this planet, too, but I'm vigorously not investigating BTs now.

I'm delaying that omnibus thread for these five new Structure sites (and whatever I find next). I realized a couple of months ago that I'd built and animated my 3D model of the known Structures based on incomplete data (the contents of the Canonn web page rather than their full list at Google Docs). I caught that when I modeled Brain Tree locations and I really need to rebuild my 3D scene and re-render the animations before I show them around.

I can say that a better guess at the East-West centerline of the Guardian Beacons/Structures area would be about sixty light years to the East of my search's center at WREGOE MC-Z B4 1-6. The North-South center? No idea. We'd need to find the boundaries to know.

Last edited:
Retropolitan you are doing something amazing. Thanks for sharing! Back when the formidine rift mystery was at its peak, drew wagar said something like "I hope a lone explorer finds it". Now you are a lone explorer venturing somewhere else in the galaxy and finding a lot of stuff. Thank you for the expedition reports, thank you for your eagerness in not so exiting times of the game. Maybe someone starts another crazy exploration treasure hunt around guardian space like it happened in the eafots sector.

Retropolitan you are doing something amazing. Thanks for sharing!

If you think about how much more difficult it was to find these sites before the 3.3 scanners, though, what's remarkable is that so many of these Structures were discovered last year. I've made some bone-headed errors out here, but luckily for me the FSS and DSS scanners have made this more a matter of perseverance than anything else.

One jump. I made one jump from the last Structure, and here's another one. I kind of wish someone was searching the mirror of my position below the known Structures.

Just 7 light years from the last site I listed above, this is the Structure on WREGOE IM-Z B41-2 B 2. The planet has been discovered, but never mapped, and the site doesn't appear in the Canonn Structures list. So it seems to be another new discovery.

A Module blueprint site, this follows the layout Canonn calls the "Turtle".
One jump. I can't believe I'l find another one after dinner, but this makes one a day for three days running. So who knows?

Here's another new one: I've found an unreported Guardian Structure on PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 1.

This site is less exciting for me than my last one because it's apparently not a new discovery: it was previously mapped by another explorer who sold the data but never mentioned the site here, on Reddit, or anyplace else on the web. I can't believe that anyone could map it, see the Guardian surface signal, and then just move on without having a look. So it can't be a new discovery... except that it is, to everyone but that solitary pilot.

This is a module blueprint site that resembles what Canonn Research calls the “Turtle” pattern. On the same planet there's a small number of bark mound locations, so it's an easy stop for blueprints and materials. It's a convenient distance from the system's arrival point (about 1200 ls).

In fact there are six other bodies in the system with bark mounds and one more that stopped me in my tracks: PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 3 A has 25 geological and 14 biological sites. Five of the biologicals are bark mounds, while the rest are Roseum Brain Trees. This is the first time I've seen Brain Trees share a body with another life form.

In addition there are three terraformables and a water world in the system. So it's a pretty nice one to visit for its data, its blueprint, and both raw and Guardian materials.

This system is located a little lower and to the west of my first-discovered Structure site, still well above the previously known Structures.

Finding both of these Structure sites has been pretty exciting for me; I feel like my ideas about more Guardian locations are bearing fruit now. But I won't be really satisfied unless I find one or more beacons up here, around 200 light years above the approximate center of the Guardian sites we were aware of.

The Search

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm conducting a survey above the rough middle of known Guardian space. My first search area is centered on WREGOE MC-Z B4 1-6; I've been examining every system I can jump to from that point. This turns out to be a very large number of systems. So far I've worked my way out to a forty light year radius, and I hope to look at everything within 64 light years of the center point. (It used to be 65, but I've just added some new equipment that it would be wise to have along, so my jump range has decreased. Here's hoping there was nothing amazing in that other light year, right?)

I'm not sure if I even imagined how long this one search area would take. It's a lot more systems than I expected.

My goal is to find the limits of the Guardian Structures area in every direction, and (possibly) additional nodes in the Guardian data network that we haven't seen yet, because the Beacons/Structures network, on its own, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Brain Tree Overload

The first thing I found was Brain Trees. Then I kept finding them. Then I found more.

They were an encouraging sign that there could be Guardian remnants around here. Whenever I found Brain Trees on a body, I investigated every location, noted the material composition of the planet or moon and the Brain Tree variety at each site, and I took a screenshot or six. It's been a pretty thorough project.

And here's why: if we ever had a detailed survey of Brain Tree sites around the Galaxy we might learn something interesting about their distribution, like whether the Guardians dispersed them from some central point. I like to imagine the remains of the giant Interstellar Brain Tree Cannon the Guardians used to shoot spores across the cosmos. Who wouldn't want to find that?

So far I've catalogued every Brain Tree location on 46 planets and moons; many of them have more than twenty locations each. And as much as I'd like to continue that for the data's sake... I'm pretty much done with Brain Trees. I could only face the 35 locations on the last planet by promising myself it would really be the last planet.

What I have to date is a sphere in space, roughly 80 light years in diameter, that contains almost all those Brain Trees. (There were a few stragglers I found on my way to and from the bubble.) I'll compile all my data sometime soon. It's a compact area, not far from the Guardian Structures, where a pilot can max out on every raw material except for those three odd ones you can get only by mining.

But you could set an army of explorers loose in the Galaxy to do this kind of survey, and they would never finish it.

So from now on I'll just note that BTs exist in a system and move on to look for for the Guardian remnants I'm really after. It bugs me, but I have to do more than one area in my lifetime.

Anyway, here's PENCIL SECTOR VY-A B8 B 1. It's in a nice spot!
I realize that to some, making their mark in the universe is somehow important. But it isn't to everyone and I am of that category. I've honked ever single system I've ever been to or passed through on my way to and from any where and every where, which number now in the tens of thousands. I've sent probes to each and every planet and or moon I've actually landed on since the concept of sending probes became a reality. Should I have discovered anything, I just play through and go about my normal game playing style. Personally and I know I'm not alone; I have no desire to name stuff or have my name credited to finding stuff.

Top Bottom