Hardware & Technical Another reason why your controls might be broken - Idle Rift Touch Controllers

I spent a few hours looking for the solution to my problem, and I was assuming that my bindings file was somehow replaced by default controls. It turns out one of my rift touch controls was asleep.

My setup:

• X52 H.O.T.A.S.
  • Oculus Rift with touch controllers
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse

The problem (I do not actually use the touch controllers for the game itself):
Gvy3VBK.jpg

Since I only play with Voice Attack and the X52 H.O.T.A.S. I usually don't move the touch controllers for any reason, or I will only use the right controller to reset my POV in the headset once I am in position, leaving the left control off/sleeping.

If the controller is asleep when I load the game, it detects the error in the screenshot above, and the game decides, "Oh, something is wrong with a controller, so I won't bother to try to load any bindings at all." The result is that even the joystick and keyboard bindings(used for Voice Attack functionality) are not loaded and the game is set to all of the default controls for all controller types. Even selecting them in the menu options for controls would change nothing since the load of the keybindings failed.

So if you ever play through oculus and your controls seem to just randomly decide they are going to break once in a while, it may just be that you need to turn the game off, shake your touch controllers around a bit and restart.

My constructive criticism to Frontier Development would be to program the game to load your custom key-binds even if an error is detected with a controller. I don't see any good reason why default is any better even if your hardware is legitimately broken; the problem would be hardware and any set of bindings would not function properly, so why complicate the situation by only loading default install key-bind settings?

I spent a few hours looking for the solution to my problem, and I was assuming that my bindings file was somehow replaced by default controls. It turns out one of my rift touch controls was asleep.

My setup:

• X52 H.O.T.A.S.
  • Oculus Rift with touch controllers
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse

The problem (I do not actually use the touch controllers for the game itself):

Since I only play with Voice Attack and the X52 H.O.T.A.S. I usually don't move the touch controllers for any reason, or I will only use the right controller to reset my POV in the headset once I am in position, leaving the left control off/sleeping.

If the controller is asleep when I load the game, it detects the error in the screenshot above, and the game decides, "Oh, something is wrong with a controller, so I won't bother to try to load any bindings at all." The result is that even the joystick and keyboard bindings(used for Voice Attack functionality) are not loaded and the game is set to all of the default controls for all controller types. Even selecting them in the menu options for controls would change nothing since the load of the keybindings failed.

So if you ever play through oculus and your controls seem to just randomly decide they are going to break once in a while, it may just be that you need to turn the game off, shake your touch controllers around a bit and restart.

My constructive criticism to Frontier Development would be to program the game to load your custom key-binds even if an error is detected with a controller. I don't see any good reason why default is any better even if your hardware is legitimately broken; the problem would be hardware and any set of bindings would not function properly, so why complicate the situation by only loading default install key-bind settings?

IIRC something similar happens with wireless Xbox 360 controllers on a PC.

A partial binding can be even more harmful than reverting to one that works with what's connected. IMO the game should revert to a working default, display a warning on the menu, and force the pre-flight checks to ensure the player knows where all the controls are that it needs to leave the docking area.

Once all controllers are present, you can select binds using them, there's no need to exit the game.

IIRC something similar happens with wireless Xbox 360 controllers on a PC.
Yep - I have an x360 controller mapped to SRV controls currently (and for the FSS next Tuesday) and if it's asleep when the game client starts, the entire binds file goes to default. You can't even edit the custom file to remove the missing input device, which is rather annoying.

I think the game does this if any control input used in a custom binds file is missing. If an input dies, you'll need to know the IDs of all the other input devices so you can edit the dead control out manually, which is less than ideal.

Well it is definitely looking for the controller, which means it is bound to something in game.

Your HMD reset perhaps ?

My suggestion would be to simply use anything else, a HOTAS button combo or something or voice attack command to push the f12 key.

I have been using that for years and keeping the right touch around for basic dash features only it goes in an out of sleep several times.

It's never bound to anything in game and will never be.

Top Bottom