Another ship interior post: Part interiors

I know i know they aren't coming soon (if at all) and there is plenty of posts about it already. But how about another one?!

I've read all sorts about how immersive ship interiors could be and how many great gameplay ideas that could bring. Some terrific ideas have been posted by the community on this.

Then of course there's the debate about "that comment" and whether it would be boring. I won't go in to that 😂

I just want throw in my two pence.

The game is all about ships (well used to be) and so all immersion and gameplay should be related to that. By this token so should the interiors. To me the key is getting the right between balance between immersion and meaningful/grindy gameplay.

I'd love ship interiors!

I originally thought I'd love to explore the ship in full and visit every module and tinker with it all. The full immersive experience.

Having read a lot of posts and thought about it plenty I now think that idea is overblown. It wouldn't really fit the game. ED is about the ship gameplay and there are plenty of abstracted gameplay concepts that work towards that throughout the game.

So I now think we need just enough of a ships interior to create compelling gameplay and some simple immersion.

Given that much of our ships are automated there is no real gameplay to be had from ship maintenance so I'm going to take that out of the equation. That removes a need to visit all the modules. So I think what we need is this:
  • Cockpit freedom
  • A cabin (bed etc)
  • A corridor
  • Access to exit
The cockpit could have access to various ship information on screens that include the same interfaces as the pilot seat but with more detail. You could also sit in any seat and get up at any time (at your risk).

The cabin is essentially our ARX sink. Decoration galore.

By the corridor I don't mean a straight one. I mean a route towards the exit. Along this route you can see the status of your modules and see where other rooms are like the mess hall (something that would be cool to visit but serves no gameplay purpose). There could be some basic interaction with each module such as full stats and a choice to focus the AFMS on that module specifically giving some purpose to visiting them.

Access to exit in this case means walking along the corridor route to the lift/ladder OR crucially an option to go straight from the back of the cockpit to the outside/concourse so we can choose speed.

Within the confines of the above i feel we'd have all the gameplay we need from interiors and i believe this would make their development a lot simpler too. Dare i say they could copy and paste a fair bit (not advocating that sportshall though 😬).

If like to see FDev take a middle of the road approach like this.

Normandy in ME had it solved with an elevator. It’s a nice bypass to access various parts of the ship.

I myself would like full size interiors, even if it didn’t bring another million hours of gameplay.
The hangar walk is already there and there is no gameplay to be had.

Unfortunately, Odyssey requires so much work that I doubt FDEV have time to create new things.

Honestly, given the state of the game, the last thing I want to hear is "We're developing ship interiors".. and even your cut down idea.
Plus, the community is particularly vocal about this topic, and your idea would probably just end up with 500 threads of "THIS is ship interiors?! You can do better FDEV!", and the usual "I've had enough; I wanted REAL ship interiors!". You can't win, so why bother asking for a tiny bit of something? Multicrew is underdeveloped, SRVs, Legs as a whole...

Still, no harm in dreaming, eh?

Personally, having played SC and X, and I had a ship in SW Galaxies; a cabin in Eve and Neocron... all nice for the odd social. Solo? Never used em. So, I think, like Carriers, the love/hate would be strong (and I can't get past interiors working with the current networking/instancing issues - "I'll just go to my cabin - oh wait, I got up and now I'm in space, no.. on a planet. Ah, CTD.. brilliant. Now I'm stranded".... yeesh!) :D

I know i know they aren't coming soon (if at all) and there is plenty of posts about it already. But how about another one?!

I've read all sorts about how immersive ship interiors could be and how many great gameplay ideas that could bring. Some terrific ideas have been posted by the community on this.

Then of course there's the debate about "that comment" and whether it would be boring. I won't go in to that 😂

The game is all about ships (well used to be) and so all immersion and gameplay should be related to that. By this token so should the interiors. To me the key is getting the right between balance between immersion and meaningful/grindy gameplay.

I'd love ship interiors!

I originally thought I'd love to explore the ship in full and visit every module and tinker with it all. The full immersive experience.

Having read a lot of posts and thought about it plenty I now think that idea is overblown. It wouldn't really fit the game. ED is about the ship gameplay and there are plenty of abstracted gameplay concepts that work towards that throughout the game.

So I now think we need just enough of a ships interior to create compelling gameplay and some simple immersion.

Given that much of our ships are automated there is no real gameplay to be had from ship maintenance so I'm going to take that out of the equation. That removes a need to visit all the modules. So I think what we need is this:
  • Cockpit freedom
  • A cabin (bed etc)
  • A corridor
  • Access to exit
The cockpit could have access to various ship information on screens that include the same interfaces as the pilot seat but with more detail. You could also sit in any seat and get up at any time (at your risk).

By the corridor I don't mean a straight one. I mean a route towards the exit. Along this route you can see the status of your modules and see where other rooms are like the mess hall (something that would be cool to visit but serves no gameplay purpose). There could be some basic interaction with each module such as full stats and a choice to focus the AFMS on that module specifically giving some purpose to visiting them.

Access to exit in this case means walking along the corridor route to the lift/ladder OR crucially an option to go straight from the back of the cockpit to the outside/concourse so we can choose speed.

Within the confines of the above i feel we'd have all the gameplay we need from interiors and i believe this would make their development a lot simpler too. Dare i say they could copy and paste a fair bit (not advocating that sportshall though 😬).

I have advocated for this too. And for the larger ships, they can have a lift as well as a corridor.

I suspect some of the smaller ships will likely be mostly fully modelled as there isn't that much space in them anyway. Ships like the eagle, hauler and sidewinder and maybe even the adder.

Honestly, given the state of the game, the last thing I want to hear is "We're developing ship interiors".. and even your cut down idea.
Plus, the community is particularly vocal about this topic, and your idea would probably just end up with 500 threads of "THIS is ship interiors?! You can do better FDEV!", and the usual "I've had enough; I wanted REAL ship interiors!". You can't win, so why bother asking for a tiny bit of something? Multicrew is underdeveloped, SRVs, Legs as a whole...

Still, no harm in dreaming, eh?

Personally, having played SC and X, and I had a ship in SW Galaxies; a cabin in Eve and Neocron... all nice for the odd social. Solo? Never used em. So, I think, like Carriers, the love/hate would be strong (and I can't get past interiors working with the current networking/instancing issues - "I'll just go to my cabin - oh wait, I got up and now I'm in space, no.. on a planet. Ah, CTD.. brilliant. Now I'm stranded".... yeesh!) :D
I suspect that you won't be able to get up until your ship has stopped moving.

Also it's doubtful you will have networking issues in your own ship. Someone else's ship though, that will likely be an issue.

I suspect that you won't be able to get up until your ship has stopped moving.

Also it's doubtful you will have networking issues in your own ship. Someone else's ship though, that will likely be an issue.
If point one were in force, then point two would likely be okay - as long as it wasn't allowed in, say, a CZ (though why you would is anyone's guess). But I know the game can sometimes have trouble tracking ships (i.e. "You just crashed in to me...", "But I'm nowhere near you!" - happens a lot!). Combined, it'd be chaos :D

Edit; 'old on; surely in SC this would be a thing you'd want to do on the way to Hutton, so to discover that Earth-like 267k LS from the arrival star? Chaos I tell you... chaos! MWhahaha

Odyssey tends to bring me an immense amount of additional gameplay, excluding the grind. Just running around and climbing mountains. It totally love it.
So I would also love ship interiors. Not boring at all.
I guess the conda got an elevator directly to the bridge, does it?

I am thinking the way into ship interiors, is on surface crashed ship.
Break open the little door with the hand rails on rear of most ships. Arc cutter.
It can be just like a fixed base and base entry point. The access is mostly to a cargo space or data ports, mats.
What ships are on the ground in ody? A fully functional interior seems to not be happening.
However I would like all the functional panels to be able to be pushed to side screens or tablets, similar to gameglass.

I am thinking the way into ship interiors, is on surface crashed ship.
Break open the little door with the hand rails on rear of most ships. Arc cutter.
It can be just like a fixed base and base entry point. The access is mostly to a cargo space or data ports, mats.
What ships are on the ground in ody? A fully functional interior seems to not be happening.
However I would like all the functional panels to be able to be pushed to side screens or tablets, similar to gameglass.
This would be a way to add partial interiors to the game to allow for scavenging, and to limit the ships (Anaconda, Type 9, Cobra, etc) and interior spaces whilst they were fully developed for "iiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnn spppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace" gameplay. Little and often, rather than big bang (or big broken).

I'd love ship interiors!

• Cockpit freedom
  • A cabin (bed etc)
  • A corridor
  • Access to exit

@sallymorganmoore am tagging you in this in the hope you can pass this on internally for consideration/filing with the million other community suggestions.

Have a nice day 😊

Seal-of-Approval_800x800_SEPS-1000x1000.jpg

Edit: Yikes, this was supposed to be ONE message.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
Yes - a path from the cabin to door. Keep the doors on other areas closed until those modules built. Although some of those ships have a door at the back so maybe running the whole length of ship a bit tedious. you would need some sort of direct access to the cockpit, steps, ladder.

I love the freedom Odyssey offers! That's the appeal for me. The whole shooter side doesn't interest me because I've played enough FPS, and that's not why I play ED. So I totally agree on the mountain climbing! A few tools for that wouldn't go amiss.

I've just been thinking more on how all these million ideas on these forums could be pulled together into something coherent and real and i came to the conclusion it has to fit with the core gameplay and so I ended up on this middle of the road position on interiors.

What i think would make a huge difference to FDev right now is some public and clearly defined tenets, or a vision or a set of guiding principles.

Now given Odysseys tangented disjointed additional to ED i would hazard a guess to say there is currently no such thing!!

So i think they need to put together such a list of guiding principles ideally through consultation with players.

Then. Then all these ideas could be filtered through these principles to see if they fit the game.

Or i mean they could just continue to work in the dark...

• Cockpit freedom
  • A cabin (bed etc)
  • A corridor
  • Access to exit

Good lord people ENOUGH with the I want interiors, I want to see the inside of my ship, where do I seep, what does my storage look like, and now ladders and opening doors..../total facepalm
If you are so bent on all of these things you can find all of them in just about any FPS. Elite is NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT, a FPS, it is a SPACE FLIGHT SIMULATOR.

Come on guys, do you know how much coding Frontier put into this title just to give you space legs and a buff in planetary graphics, isn't that good enough?
How about we give Frontier some credit and maybe some positive feedback for what they have done thus far. Merging a title that was only meant to be a Simulator, how many flight sims do you know of that show the things players want. Please I'll debate it so long that it is a SIMULATOR. Devs have done something quite unique with this title and have fixed enough bugs to make it playable in less than a month.
Pretty good job after the complete disaster of Odysseys release.

As @Vi7ER has mentioned you would walk around your ship 2 or 3 times in SOME LARGER ships and get bored. Is it really cost effective to spend 6 months or more to add menial things for a Simulator?

Now, please I'm not trying to undermine everyone but this post should be in the suggestions forum and Frontier will know about it and maybe look into it. (sorry but I hope not). Mixing the two just about killed the titles reputation.

Odyssey runs at a locked 60 FPS in space on my machine. Let’s add a feature that tanks framerates in space - what could go wrong?

I'd love ship interiors!

• Cockpit freedom
  • A cabin (bed etc)
  • A corridor
  • Access to exit

If FDev is going to make ship interiors they need to go all out. Everything needs to be modeled from secret passageways and waterclosets to intricate representations of the engines and powerplants. And everything needs to be interactable.

Top Bottom