Another whinge about mat gathering

I recently took my python out and spent the day mini jumping around about 30 systems north of Shinrata. FSS for the USS types i needed. jump in and scoop up what i wanted using Limpets.
I actually really enjoyed the process. It made the galaxy feel a whole lot larger again. The small jumps system to system, docking at unknown stations for fuel. it was a small places tour.

I think we forget how large the galaxy is when we bypass it using engineered jump ranges.

I didnt feel the need to rush and i just played the wandering salvage ship.

That 36-1 exchange rate could do with revision.

It smacks of an arbitrary number. It's not 2^5, which would be 32 (still too high in my opinion), and can only be seen as something like 3 dozen, or 6^2.

Much too high.

That 36-1 exchange rate could do with revision.

It smacks of an arbitrary number. It's not 2^5, which would be 32 (still too high in my opinion), and can only be seen as something like 3 dozen, or 6^2.

Much too high.

Agreed.
If there is a change to be made, this would be it.

Honestly, in my more paranoid moments I wonder if the game "rolls a dice" to decide some fundamental things about your CMDR when you first create them.

On my main account, Conductive Ceramics are the bane of my existence.
I can do laps of DH until I'm, literally, full of Chemical Manipulators, Configurable Components and Conductive Polymers but I'll still only have collected 20-odd Conductive Ceramics.
Conversely, on my alt-account, I visited DH and farmed it to set myself up with a pool of mat's to start engineering and I quickly maxed-out my supply of Conductive Ceramics.

It's like the game picks certain things which you're going to be "lucky" and certain things which you're going to be "unlucky" over.

I hope this isn't what happens but it sometimes feels like it is.
Go to CD -75 661 to the visitor beacon and kill tourists. You need to snipe modules to stop the ships from jumping out. It's an anarchy system with a visitor beacon, a deadly combination and only a fool would take that trip. These ships drop the ceramics all over the place. Take plenty limpets since ships drop prox mines, some point defense helps as well. Ramming works.

Go to CD -75 661 to the visitor beacon and kill tourists. You need to snipe modules to stop the ships from jumping out. It's an anarchy system with a visitor beacon, a deadly combination and only a fool would take that trip. These ships drop the ceramics all over the place. Take plenty limpets since ships drop prox mines, some point defense helps as well. Ramming works.

Same thing there.

Whenever I have a session of exploding things for mat's, I can easily end-up filling my stock of stuff like RFCs, Thermic Alloys and Conductive Polymers but I'll still only collect a dozen or so Conductive Ceramics.

It's not the end of the world, of course, when I can trade Conductive Polymers down for 3x the quantity of CCs but it just seems like the game flat-out refuses to give them to me unless it absolutely has to.
Course, I admit this could just be "confirmation bias" but I definitely seem to find that my stock of CCs is never as high as all the other stuff I collect during activities that should provide them.

The Belugas I shoot often have several CCs. Honestly I fill up in just a couple sessions. Ships in other areas don't seem to have these as often.

I've given up trying to find certain mats. Now I do it like others . Target only empire systems and do the economical run across the bubble for Imperial shielding. Tedious but I've maxed all g5 mats and filled in any holes in the g2-g4 mats

When I'm in the mood, I go Robigo in my bubble hopper (Modified Engineered explore Conda which gets 60+ ly's, where I have a modified Python in dry dock with 8 cabins and gets more than 31.1 jump range as to do a complete round in two jumps both directions. I find that do the Robigo loop more than two dozen times once or twice a week, works well.
When I'm in the mood, I go to Dav's Hope, using my said Conda and going counter clock wise can make a loop in just under one minute gathering all ten items available. Change modes and do it again and again. I generally do 25 laps, take a break and do 25 more. Or I wait until I've gathered at least 25 heat veins. Works out to be about 3 hours total.

Using said Conda it's only 20 jumps one direction to one of two systems way down south some 1600 ly's. I gather up four different mats until all four are maxed. Fly back to a station I've found only 15 jumps back and trade them all for lower mats. Doing it three times, ,maxs all my Raws.

When I'm in the mood, I go to high Res's kill anything easier than myself and or help the cops to take down better pilots and having a size 5 collector and a couple of dozen limpets, take the time after each destroyed ship to gather mats.

When I'm in the mood, I do the Jameson Crash site three or four times. Last but not least, when leaving every single station I visit, I take 5 to 10 minutes and scan every wake I can.

Take raw mat's, for example.
You can just plonk yourself down on almost any planet and shoot rocks in the hope of getting what you want.
As a step up from that, you can scan planets to establish their mineral content and then shoot rocks on a favorable planet to get what you want a bit more quickly.
Even better, you can locate planets with Geo' POI's, land there and harvest a modest guaranteed supply of what you want fairly quickly.
At best, you can pack your bags and head off to somewhere with a suitable Bio' POI and harvest gigantic heaps of what you need really fast.

With data and manufactured material, I can collect them while literally doing something else. Take an assassination mission; I'm going to get g4/g5 mats. Sit in a conflict zone or haz res; you'll be out of storage for shield data pretty quickly and have your screen littered with low grade manufactured material. Run around doing trade; scan all of the ships for data. I might run into an HGE or combat aftermath signal. It's a 2 minute detour. I might get them as mission rewards. They might send anacondas to kill me. Those are g4/g5 manufactured material filled twinkies with an endless supply. Give me an hour doing the typical stuff I do in the game; I'll collect 100 g4 mats and 30 g5 mats without much effort.

For raw mats: stop everything and go shoot rocks. It's not like you can just scoop them. You're probably spending 5 minutes just getting to the location, so it wouldn't make sense not to stay for an extended amount of time. If you go looking for specific planets or POIs, you're spending even more time. You're not progressing any other goal (maybe exploration rank?). Land on some random planet to shoot rocks and you'll probably find more satellites and escape pods than g4 raw material.

I collect so much manufactured and data material that I have no choice but to trade. It's just part of how I play. I don't spend time in supercruise looking for signals or waste time going to places like davs hope. I would just engineer random stuff instead, but I never have the raw material required. At least give us raw mats as mission rewards. How about payment for helping in a distress signal? It's not like credits mean anything anymore.

I wish we had a market place to trade. I'm currently full on 3 of the G5 manufactured mats. I'd happily give them all for 50 G4 raw mats.

With data and manufactured material, I can collect them while literally doing something else. Take an assassination mission; I'm going to get g4/g5 mats. Sit in a conflict zone or haz res; you'll be out of storage for shield data pretty quickly and have your screen littered with low grade manufactured material. Run around doing trade; scan all of the ships for data. I might run into an HGE or combat aftermath signal. It's a 2 minute detour. I might get them as mission rewards. They might send anacondas to kill me. Those are g4/g5 manufactured material filled twinkies with an endless supply. Give me an hour doing the typical stuff I do in the game; I'll collect 100 g4 mats and 30 g5 mats without much effort.

For raw mats: stop everything and go shoot rocks. It's not like you can just scoop them. You're probably spending 5 minutes just getting to the location, so it wouldn't make sense not to stay for an extended amount of time. If you go looking for specific planets or POIs, you're spending even more time. You're not progressing any other goal (maybe exploration rank?). Land on some random planet to shoot rocks and you'll probably find more satellites and escape pods than g4 raw material.

I collect so much manufactured and data material that I have no choice but to trade. It's just part of how I play. I don't spend time in supercruise looking for signals or waste time going to places like davs hope. I would just engineer random stuff instead, but I never have the raw material required. At least give us raw mats as mission rewards. How about payment for helping in a distress signal? It's not like credits mean anything anymore.

I wish we had a market place to trade. I'm currently full on 3 of the G5 manufactured mats. I'd happily give them all for 50 G4 raw mats.
5 minutes?

I was time checking some activities yesterday. It seems to take more time to go the lat 10Ls than the first 2000. With this new supercruise assist, I look at the time, step away to do something then come back. Yesterday I watched 5 or 6 possessions in an NBA game before my ship would go 200Ls and drop out of supercruise. It's amazing how much time is sunk into just getting there. No wonder FDev has repeatedly created ways around it. During that 200Ls travel, there was no activity. I was in an allied system with no bounty and no pursuers because I didn't have cargo. It was just "meeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" and the bending sheet metal sounds.... droning on.

We've been through all this before.

Get allied with a faction. Take delivery or pirate lord missions which pay 5 exquisite crystals, 5 biotech conductors or 5 MEFs each time. (Pirate lords drop extra G5 mats). Often you can stack these. Then visit trader.

For raw mats, visit planets with biological or geological sites.

Drop in to signal sources only for amusement.

We've been through all this before.

Get allied with a faction. Take delivery or pirate lord missions which pay 5 exquisite crystals, 5 biotech conductors or 5 MEFs each time. (Pirate lords drop extra G5 mats). Often you can stack these. Then visit trader.

For raw mats, visit planets with biological or geological sites.

Drop in to signal sources only for amusement.
Without board flipping, stacking missions is harder than it used to be. I get 4 at most these days for pirate kills with same faction but usually it's just one or two.

1. Go to Dav's Hope. Collect everything. Mode switch. Rinse repeat.
  2. Go to Jameson's crash site. Scan all beacons. Mode switch. Rinse. Repeat.
  3. Trade up for whatever you want.
This and the bug killer anaconda.

There is something wrong with the mechanic when circumventing the in-game described farming method and using these points followed by using the mat trader is the preferred path.

In my opinion, completing missions should be a larger focus of the game instead of these side steps. This would mean a greater inclusion of useful mat rewards at all tiers. I would go so far as to suggest that achieving allegience tiers with factions should be rewarded with mat and credit incomes (it follows that a decay mechanics would be required).

So much of the player behaviors are just ludicrous to secure mats. Fly to an anarchy system to blow up cargo ships just to farm mats? These kinds of farms are silly on their face.

Better to have a mechanic were there is a bar where you go to get rumors on the location of mats (ie. "I hear there is a ship loaded with polymer capacitors in system X, you should check it out").

This and the bug killer anaconda.

There is something wrong with the mechanic when circumventing the in-game described farming method and using these points followed by using the mat trader is the preferred path.

In my opinion, completing missions should be a larger focus of the game instead of these side steps. This would mean a greater inclusion of useful mat rewards at all tiers. I would go so far as to suggest that achieving allegience tiers with factions should be rewarded with mat and credit incomes (it follows that a decay mechanics would be required).

So much of the player behaviors are just ludicrous to secure mats. Fly to an anarchy system to blow up cargo ships just to farm mats? These kinds of farms are silly on their face.

Better to have a mechanic were there is a bar where you go to get rumors on the location of mats (ie. "I hear there is a ship loaded with polymer capacitors in system X, you should check it out").
Not cargo ships, cruise ships. Yes, they are only here to deliver materials. Why else would they have them? What other game purpose could possibly be served by having cruise ships constantly arriving and departing a visitor beacon in an anarchy system? Materials is about all there is. I don't take civilian kill missions, but these folks are probably drinking coffee and smoking big cigars.. so they deserve to die.

Honestly, in my more paranoid moments I wonder if the game "rolls a dice" to decide some fundamental things about your CMDR when you first create them.

On my main account, Conductive Ceramics are the bane of my existence.
I can do laps of DH until I'm, literally, full of Chemical Manipulators, Configurable Components and Conductive Polymers but I'll still only have collected 20-odd Conductive Ceramics.
Conversely, on my alt-account, I visited DH and farmed it to set myself up with a pool of mat's to start engineering and I quickly maxed-out my supply of Conductive Ceramics.

It's like the game picks certain things which you're going to be "lucky" and certain things which you're going to be "unlucky" over.

I hope this isn't what happens but it sometimes feels like it is.
That's an amazing story .... you could open a thread and have an argument with yourself about this. "The mats are easy to find" .... "no, they're not, I can't find them" ..... "well, I can" ..... :D

Nothing worse than RNG that has it in for you.

I currently have 5 ships - all engineered - I have enough spare bits for two others - all engineered - loads of spare guns, pack hounds etc etc - all engineered . I have gaurdian gizmo's and fighters galore - I've never, since playing in beta "Had" to go looking for any commodity to carry out said engineering - not in the old system nor the current one.
When you kill stuff loot everything (collector limpets are your friend) - scan everything - this will not only fill your data banks it's good situational awarness - I play in live and have died a grand total of twice since launch to other players - once to a group of 5 and once while afk.
I have zero sympathy for anyone who complains of "grind" or material gathering - this is one of the easiest games I have ever played in which to gather and trade resources.
Now get of my lawn. :p

Top Bottom