Anti Xeno Combat Initiative and Ship Outfit Suggestions for All

The only true anti-thargoid ship would have to be one modeled after Guardian ships. And I get the feeling while that might be cool, FDEV will miss the memo and give it terrible fixed point convergence. Given Guardian lore and current Thargoid tactics, we'd need a high jump range ship (ideally Large for picking on Hydras and whatever comes after), with terrible trading ability but a lot of military compartments, with good hull and good shields, and godly (Krait Mk2 level) fixed hardpoints (wtb Large Gauss). Thing would also naturally sit at higher temps safely for the sake of cooking off caustic damage. And it'll have FAST turning rate. It can be trash vs human ships through handwavium and trash as a trader (handwavium again), but it needs jump range and mobility and ideal fixed weapons.

Also I’d like to see Guardian PD has bonus recharge and capacity to equipped guardian weapons and Guardian PP boost the guardian HRP’s caustic resistances to make them better than G5 normal HRP’s. Buff Guardian tech against Thargoids + buff Thargoids.

Also I’d like to see Guardian PD has bonus recharge and capacity to equipped guardian weapons and Guardian PP boost the guardian HRP’s caustic resistances to make them better than G5 normal HRP’s. Buff Guardian tech against Thargoids + buff Thargoids.

agree
guardian stuff needs more set bonuses

Add an enrage mechanic, if you can’t kill it in time, it gets %300 damage and regeneration bonus + %80 damage reduction and deals 400 pure aoe damage to 3 km radius every ten seconds.

Add an enrage mechanic, if you can’t kill it in time, it gets %300 damage and regeneration bonus + %80 damage reduction and deals 400 pure aoe damage to 3 km radius every ten seconds.

Jeez, that's too much MMORPG Boss for me...

Just improve the caustic resistance of the Guardian Hull Reinf and the Meta Alloy Hull reinf a bit: 5 and 3% respectively is too low. The Meta Alloy HR alone is pathetic. No one uses it! And end the 4 AX/Guardian weapons restriction. Its idiotic at this point.
If this were to be updated by FD, Cyclops would off course become easier, but to kill a Basilisk and beyond a player would still need a good grasp of the fight mechanics. People would survive longer and it would be easier to build ships for AX CZs.

Lol, No way! :p, I'd quit fighting goids instantly if they did that!

The Type 10 Defender was created solely for the purpose of fighting Thargoids. It's amazing more people don't use it. Of the "big four" it is also the second-most affordable ship(but who's counting the Beluga) and has an amazing cockpit. The Type 10 is the best ship for the Xeno...there's a reason why it has 1044mj armor. To resist corrosive attacks. The ideal build would be something like this:
*Prismatic shield(or largest 8 A-rated shield gen), engineered for G5 Thermal resist and apply thermal block. Should your shields(they will) you will have tough a** hull. We're not depending on shield recovery here, but we do want what shields it has to be resistant as heck. The ceptors seem to generally be put down quick enough that shield recovery not be a concern, but bring cell bank if you like.
*Thermal resist shield boosters(x3)
*Reactive Armor engineered for thermal resist
*Guardian PD
*Guardian PP
*2D Guardian HRP(x4) to stack corrosive resist effects
*2D Guardian MRP(at least two)
*Guardian SLF(swarm distraction)
*SCB(optional)
*Field neutralizer
Weapons can work a number of ways:
*4x Guardian Gauss
*2x turreted Guardian plasma chargers
etc.
*2x Guardian Shard, Flak, or AX Remote mine for swarm(depends on whether your technique is to bother with the swarm, or if you gear up for the abuse and just hurry to take down the interceptors).
The next best ship is the Conda, as it has the next strongest hull, at around 945mj, default.
At the end of the day the Guardian and AX gear are Thargoid gear. If you want the best Thargoid experience you should probably use Thargoid gear.

Last edited:
The Type 10 Defender was created solely for the purpose of fighting Thargoids. It's amazing more people don't use it. Of the "big four" it is also the most affordable ship and has an amazing cockpit. The Type 10 is the best ship for the Xeno...there's a reason why it has 1044mj armor. To resist corrosive attacks. The ideal build would be something like this:
*Prismatic shield(or largest 8 A-rated shield gen), engineered for G5 Thermal resist and apply thermal block. Should your shields(they will) you will have tough a** hull. We're not depending on shield recovery here, but we do want what shields it has to be resistant as heck. The ceptors seem to generally be put down quick enough that shield recovery not be a concern, but bring cell bank if you like.
*Guardian PD
*Guardian PP
*SCB(optional)
*Field neutralizer
*4x Guardian Gauss
etc.
*2x Guardian Shard, Flak, or AX Remote mine for swarm(depends on whether your technique is to bother with the swarm, or if you gear up for the abuse and just hurry to take down the interceptors).
The next best ship is the Conda, as it has the next strongest hull, at around 945mj, default.
At the end of the day the Guardian and AX gear are Thargoid gear. If you want the best Thargoid experience you should probably use Thargoid gear.

Thermal? I didn't know thermal was relevant against Thargoids.:S

The Type 10 Defender was created solely for the purpose of fighting Thargoids. It's amazing more people don't use it. Of the "big four" it is also the most affordable ship and has an amazing cockpit. The Type 10 is the best ship for the Xeno...there's a reason why it has 1044mj armor. To resist corrosive attacks. The ideal build would be something like this:
*Guardian PD
*Guardian PP
*SCB(optional)
*Field neutralizer
*4x Guardian Gauss
etc.

That was.. Interesting to read. I don't know where to start.
- MJ shouldn't be used as "hull strenght unit", it's for the shields. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
- I'd prefer Bi-weave shields for faster recover
- Resistances are useless against Thargoids.
- Guardian PP & PD are just placeholders if you can't engineer the human ones. Engineered human ones are highly recommended.
- Engineered human HRP's are better than the Guardian ones, Guardian MRP's are better because human ones can't be engineered. You shouldn't need corrosive resistance in Interceptor fights.
- I'd recommend at least 1 Gauss against the Hearts of a Cyclops, more for harder variants.
- Ship, weapon, SLF, SDFN, Xeno Scanner etc are your preferences, pick whatever you like. But I don't think Type-10 should be a suggestion.

As one guy who actually tried a T-10 vs. interceptors, I can only say: don't, if you have an alternative.

The large hardpoints are spread over its wingspan and hitting with more than 1 or 2 at the same time is difficult. Using gauss in the medium slots might help, but heart sniping with four Gauss cannons is probably not be doable without changing the ships orientation.
The T-10 has really bad turning rates. While a Cutter can compensate for that with its high speed, the T-10 is firmly "bolted" in space.
Both factors lead to using turreted AX/Guardian guns as an effective build. This might be good for support (e.g. damage tank), but not for soloing Interceptors.

Graelock
What Eckee said plus....

Even if your prismatic shields held for your 1st fight, I seriously doubt it would hold for a 2nd one, so it would be no good for an AX CZ, and you can't rely on SCBs alone unless you don't plan to stay in 1 for long. Also I would say only the cyclops could be taken down relatively quickly.
Btw, strong shields don't make a strong hull (maybe you meant ship?).

Their doesn't appear to be an official unit for hull units, but HP is usually used, which I believe stands for hit points or hull points.

They're not, it would be totally pointless to have that against Thargoids.

Last edited:

True, their damage against your shields isn't nearly as important as the caustic damage that mostly leaks through it, but having strong shields still helps. I suppose if you wanted you could just opt reinforced, but they certainly don't eat your shields away with kinetic.

Interceptors deal caustic only with the missles (not to be confused with the swarm’s kamikaze). Their regular shield breach attacks are not caustic. They deal absolute damage.

That was.. Interesting to read. I don't know where to start.
- MJ shouldn't be used as "hull strenght unit", it's for the shields. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
- I'd prefer Bi-weave shields for faster recover
- Resistances are useless against Thargoids.
- Guardian PP & PD are just placeholders if you can't engineer the human ones. Engineered human ones are highly recommended.
- Engineered human HRP's are better than the Guardian ones, Guardian MRP's are better because human ones can't be engineered. You shouldn't need corrosive resistance in Interceptor fights.
- I'd recommend at least 1 Gauss against the Hearts of a Cyclops, more for harder variants.
- Ship, weapon, SLF, SDFN, Xeno Scanner etc are your preferences, pick whatever you like. But I don't think Type-10 should be a suggestion.

Firstly, apologies...I thought Mj's(for a few years now) was used universally to describe the amount of "energy" the hull and shields could absorb. It's not like talking about the amount of voltage, or amperage something generates. Energy arrives in more than one flavor...kinetic, thermal and in this game explosive(I fail to see how that's not kinetic) and that's where Joules comes in. I'm no physicist, but at the end of the day your hull and shields are rated for their ability to absorb the very same damage types. And in real life Joules applies to more than just energy fields.
About the Guardian PD/ PP:
1. Minimized field shutdown effect(key selling point). They don't stop it, but they reduce the cyclic downtime.
2. Higher integrity than vs standard engineered variants which are engineered to do roughly the same thing.
3. Guardian PP is equivalent to a like class PP with overcharge grade 2 applied. Overcharge applies heat increase and lowered integrity. Likewise the Guardian PD is equivalent to a like class PD engineered for Fast Charge and Super Conduit, but more durable
4.) Guardian PD adds 4% more overcharge over standard to any PP which it is attached to.
Don't tell me the PP/ and PD are just place holders. They are special PVE gear. We don't grind and spend that much for place holders.
Regarding ineffective(?) resistances, I find it odd that the Guardian Hull module offer both caustic and thermal buffs if those exact damage types weren't expected(?). You might not think resistances will work against them, but they eat at your shields and hull with "something." In this case, thermal and caustic. They don't hit with explosive, or kinetic so those are omitted.
Now I posted the shield setups as a general thing, but with a couple slight embelishments for thargoids. Almost everyone already rocks engineered Thermal Resist shields, first and foremost, so I contributed nothing here. Well, that is everyone who engineers. If they don't engineer for thermal then they opt Reinforced shields, for ramming. The only thing my build proposes is that thermoblock be insured across all modules(boosters and generator), for safe measure...but alas most people already do that as well. Thargoids eat at the shields, but also bleed damage of caustic variants.
Bi-weaves are fine, too. That's a matter of strategy and preference. I want to be in and out quick and not have to worry about rebuild, so will gladly take the hull damage with stronger emphasis on the hull, since it's getting attacked right off the get go anyway. Then again I also don't worry about the swarm, too. I use the SLF to help distract them.

If the lightning strike is indeed thermal, then for a ship as slow as the T-10, that has a hard time evading the lightning attack, it makes sense to have thermal resistant shields.

I have a T-10 for interceptor fights. And i have a really hard time evading that lightning strike. It eats my shields down with ease. And i placed the strongest shields i could on that ship. Not that the T-10 excels in shielding, but i think i placed them somewhere near the 2500/3000MJ. And even with four pips to sys, the LS still chews my shields away, because i cant move!
I also like to use a Guardian PP and PD. And the bad convergence on the T-10, if you're a little creative with weapon placement, it's not that bad!

As far as I've read, Thargoids have no thermal attack at all from anything. If you have proof to the contrary, let's see it.

As for the Guardian HRPs thermal resistance, that's an interesting point, but it could've been for a Thargoid feature that was dropped, or for a feature yet to be introduced.
Your point about Joules & the hull, that maybe true but that's just how it's done in ED, & most games I think ;).

Last edited:
I see your points in Guardian PP & PD. Call me crazy but I actually like Guardian PP in explorer builds. It produces more energy and it's lighter than the G5 Armoured; it has more integrity than the standart and G5 overcharged ones. It produces more heat but who cares in an exploring ship.

Thing is, if G5 Armoured + Thermal Spread PP has enough power for your ship, it's generally the best for AX combat (or maybe for any combat?). If it doesn't, the Guardian PP may be a better choice because overcharged PP would lack the integrity and be too squishy.
I have a niche for Guardian PP (I used it in all of my ships including the AX ones lol) but I don't see any purpose of the PD. Sure, it boosts the PP but it's just meh. What if it's just enough for G5 Armoured PP to work on your ship? I don't know.
It has worse capacity and recharge rates compared to the Charge Enchanced + Super Conduits, it just has the integrity advantage but the main purpose of a PD in combat is the recharge rates. It just doesn't do its main job.

I used both Guardian PP & PD in my AX ships, I was too lazy to engineer the human ones, but they just weren't enough for a Medusa. It's just not fun when the old, regular human tech is better than the super new alien supertech hybrid.

What I would like from the guardian stuff is the set bonuses:

- Guardian PP boosts the HRP, MRP, SRP's
- Guardian PP & PD are more effective when combined together.
- Guardian PD has bonus recharge/damage/thermal efficency on guardian weapons. etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom