Any Chance to get an Atmosphere

Honest question: what, from a game design standpoint, will atmospheric worlds bring to Elite? What is the developer's cost to create them in a way that does them justice, and what will make them anything other than a prettier Elite V2.0? What will be the player's incentive to land on them once the aesthetic novelty wears off?

Not slamming on your desire for atmo. Just asking you to ask yourself some important questions.

Consider carefully.

Well, a noble gas based atmosphere close enough to a star could glow like a neon lamp. Something like northern lights just throughout the atmosphere on the day side.
Here is a noble gas atmosphere planet (can't remember which gas, might be Xenon) eclipsing its star.

If the game being too dark is an issue, just park a Cutter anywhere near a star and feel the retinas burn.

My thought is if atmospheric landings do arrive there's going to be a lot of disappointed people who realise that all we've got is a different colour sky to drive our Scarab under. This is definitely something I'd want long term planning with and agree with those who say this needs to have additional gameplay or it's not worth it.

I'm also going to predict that on day 1 of whatever update comes out with this that we'll all burn up as soon as we touch an atmosphere due to some exponential heat bug.

A, but don't try to land on an atmospheric planet for the first 3 days unless you wanted to suicidewinder home.
I have a sidewinder on standby for the first three days just for that purpose.

I've mentioned before, those Lagrange clouds, in my humble opinion, are tests for what it should look like when we finally get atmospheric landings. At speeds fast enough, you can see the mist flying past/over the canopy. I'm certain they're working on it. When and if, it'll be a DLC in packs, i.e., gas giant diving first, ice worlds with air later, etc.

Honest question: what, from a game design standpoint, will atmospheric worlds bring to Elite? What is the developer's cost to create them in a way that does them justice, and what will make them anything other than a prettier Elite V2.0? What will be the player's incentive to land on them once the aesthetic novelty wears off?

Not slamming on your desire for atmo. Just asking you to ask yourself some important questions.

Consider carefully.
Whether making the universe seem a bit less barren or not matters depends upon the individual, so that may count for some for some people (or it could make things worse, more small settlements in thousands of miles of wilderness, scattered with unconvincing grind materials).

Gameplay-wise atmospheric combat, with ships' aerodynamics (or lack of) influencing it, even though they're a bit lumbering even by modern fighter jet standards.

Atmospheres also allow for a more complex chemistry on a planet. They could then switch over the elements of raw materials to rare compounds/minerals/gasses that make more sense requiring hands-on collection.

Well, maybe try not to be so misteriously poetic and explain what you mean in your first post, because otherwise it's so obscure one can either make fun of it, or ignore it as whining of someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

and to
Jaggid Edje
as well

and especially to
CMDR M. Lehman

True, the initial post awas a bit misteriously poetic. I just posted "pictures" that I had in my mind while watching a yt video.

The Atmosphere "creates" light on the planets or moons we land. The sky isn't pitch black and the global illumunation and atmosphere makes "living on a planet more beautiful. I hate to compare Elite with SC but this demonstrates what I mean. The atomosphere is essential to illuminate the planet/the entire scene in a beautiful way. ... watch both videos full screen and then also (just for fun) start both videos at the same time in the post in small windows.

Star Citizen
Source: https://youtu.be/PsNS5e0mLYo?t=3810

Elite
This is more like what we get in Elite. I know that this scene is taken at night but you get what I mean

Source: https://youtu.be/PsNS5e0mLYo?t=7173

Last edited:
There are two possible answers:

A) atmospheric landing is definitely part of the 2020 dlc
B) atmospheric landing is definitely not part of the 2020 dlc

Choose your favourite!
So the recent "leak" (the one that predicted Planet Zoo a week before it came out) said space legs and base building was the focus of the 2020 update. It also suggested that atmos' landings wasn't on the roadmap. FD later commented (on a livestream iirc), without confirming or dening the leak that at least one of the things the leak said wasn't happening was definitely not true. My hope is that FD were referring to the atmos' landings comment so I'm still hoping we'll see something in this area in 2020 ... the new ice planets at the very least.

The Atmosphere "creates" light on the planets or moons we land. The sky isn't pitch black and the global illumunation and atmosphere makes "living on a planet more beautiful. I hate to compare Elite with SC but this demonstrates what I mean. The atomosphere is essential to illuminate the planet/the entire scene in a beautiful way. ... watch both videos full screen and then also (just for fun) start both videos at the same time in the post in small windows.

I'm confused.

Create a highly obscure thread, ultimately complaining about Elite, and demanding features be added that you want based on a different game. A feature that a large portion of the player base is already asking for and FDev has hinted at coming up and threaten not investing time in Elite anymore unless it's implemented.

Go play Star Citizen. Seriously.
Also, space is dark. Really dark. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that there's not a lot of light.

Top Bottom