Ships any news on the Diamondback yet?

Take a close look at that screenshot. The perspective distorts the size of the ship - it looks much shorter than on the other screenshot (in flight). The "camera" was very close to the ship and low, and the fov looks quite wide. It certainly is bigger than a Viper. It could be the size of a Vulture. And if that thing costs close to the FDL it could have 2 large and two medium sized weapons - not that I think it will have that weapons.
BTW: I think below the cockpit there is an other hardpoint (if the red marked areas are hardpoints)

I meant how I perceive it based on both images and using points of reference to get a sense of scale. And yes, it is clearly longer than it appears in the docked image, but you can clearly see the point at which it starts to taper towards the rear.

nothing will ever be faster than a Cobra, or as balanced

True. It is meant to be the gold standard for balance/jack of all trades in the early/mid game.

There might end up being something faster than a Cobra, but if there is there will be a severe trade off elsewhere.

I think this might be orientated to the early explorer crowd with tech options to suit that role as a light but relatively cheap ship platform.

Take a close look at that screenshot. The perspective distorts the size of the ship - it looks much shorter than on the other screenshot (in flight). The "camera" was very close to the ship and low, and the fov looks quite wide. It certainly is bigger than a Viper. It could be the size of a Vulture. And if that thing costs close to the FDL it could have 2 large and two medium sized weapons - not that I think it will have that weapons.
BTW: I think below the cockpit there is an other hardpoint (if the red marked areas are hardpoints)

I don't think it's as big as the Vulture. Look at the size of the cargo hatch on the bottom, and then compare to the Vulture.

any word on range? if this has 35+LY range, and is cheaper than a conda, and can still mount weps at that range, I may be in for a new ship :)

I'm pretty sure out of the things you want you'll only get the "cheaper than a 'Conda" part. From the size and the information so far it's gonna be a cheaper version of the Asp without it's good cargo capicity. So I expect something around a little over 30LY in a explorer setup with small shields.

I just realized something, on the back of the ship are wings (orange colored section). Maybe they can be extended and used for atmospheric flight?

I just realized something, on the back of the ship are wings (orange colored section). Maybe they can be extended and used for atmospheric flight?

If the nose was remotely aerodynamic, you might be on to something. But atm, this ship in atmo would be a brick. Trying to imagine what the wind sound would be like. Maybe 300dB?

If the nose was remotely aerodynamic, you might be on to something. But atm, this ship in atmo would be a brick. Trying to imagine what the wind sound would be like. Maybe 300dB?

I've got a hunch that the shield bubble will provide some aerodynamic benefits, and will probably also be a major factor in keeping a ship from overheating during atmospheric entry.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Diamondback will be in the 10-20 mil price range? The common consensus seem to be it will be cheaper than the ASP. Also, to be a halfway decent combat ship in the 10-20 mil price range I think it will also have at least one large/huge hard point instead of the armament of vipers and Cobras (2xSmall 2xLarge hardpoints) with probably worse speed and agility?

-CMDR Kbear

There's no room for large hard points. let alone huge. Considering it's a small ship with three main engines and the engines make up the bulk of its mass, I think it's safe to say it's going to be fast. Maybe it will actually be both fast and maneuverable. Most of the ships so far are either one or the other (or neither) but not both.

There's no room for large hard points. let alone huge. Considering it's a small ship with three main engines and the engines make up the bulk of its mass, I think it's safe to say it's going to be fast. Maybe it will actually be both fast and maneuverable. Most of the ships so far are either one or the other (or neither) but not both.

yep, and it won't have any space left for cargo that i'm almost certain

for the price, considering the very small size, the average weapons and good jump range, a normal price would be around 150k (considering the viper is 95k and the cobra 235k)

Based on the images that we have seen, here are my guesstimates on the Diamondback:

Price: 750.000 credits
Mass: 125 tons (hull)
Jump Range: 35 LY Unladen
Hardpoints: 2 Medium, 2 Small (or 4 Small)

So far we have no ships in the bracket between 100 and 150 tons. I would base my guess mostly on the type 6 but with a small form factor, less cargo, more shields, better jump range, better weapons.

I like your estimate, I think it's a bit lighter (100 T). We have nothing between Viper (60 T) and type 6 (155 T). I definitely feels like a type 6 weight class, but instead of pure trader, it does the other two things. Will probably be priced (more expensively) to reflect this.

Last edited:
My guess is the Diamondback will have a high armour value, as the name would suggest... if it turns out to be a cargo ship.. then you have added protection after being interdicted, however this wont stop thrusters been brought down.. all speculation of course.. we shall wait and see

that assumption completely missed the mark hahaha

Top Bottom