Any rumblings from FD about allowing the FSS to be used while moving?

Ultimately, forcing CMDRs to sit there stationary, for seemingly no good reason, was a poor design choice from the outset. Especially when Multicrew was already in the game. Especially when no doubt they knew the Supercruise Assistant was a possibility.

Have faith, young padawan. ;)

There's plenty of room for improvement on the FSS. The "snapshot when entering" idea is one, but i would prefer something completely different:

1. "Snap to target"

When your marker is close enough to a target (range can be adjusted in settings) and the speed you apply to the marker is low enough (speed limit can be adjusted in settings), the FSS automatically locks the marker to the object and follows it.

As positive sidenote, this would not only help when trying to catch moving objects, but also would make the FSS generally a bit more enjoyable to use.

2. "Toggle through contacts"

When your have several resolved (means, full circle) objects in your screen, you should have a "toggle" button available. If the marker is on no object at the moment, it jumps to the nearest not scanned object. If the marker is on an object, it jumps to the next not scanned object.

Bonus: a second toggle option could also go through resolved objects. But in that case, things would be much more complicated to implement. The game would at the moment of using the toggle the first time create an internal list of all objects in range, then go through them by button presses.

3. "Overview"

Please finally give me my ships radar somewhere in the FSS menu. I want to have a chance to see what's happening while i am in the scanner.

And of course, as suggested in the OP, eliminate the "throttle at zero" requirement.

There's plenty of room for improvement on the FSS. The "snapshot when entering" idea is one, but i would prefer something completely different:

1. "Snap to target"

When your marker is close enough to a target (range can be adjusted in settings) and the speed you apply to the marker is low enough (speed limit can be adjusted in settings), the FSS automatically locks the marker to the object and follows it.

As positive sidenote, this would not only help when trying to catch moving objects, but also would make the FSS generally a bit more enjoyable to use.

2. "Toggle through contacts"

When your have several resolved (means, full circle) objects in your screen, you should have a "toggle" button available. If the marker is on no object at the moment, it jumps to the nearest not scanned object. If the marker is on an object, it jumps to the next not scanned object.

Bonus: a second toggle option could also go through resolved objects. But in that case, things would be much more complicated to implement. The game would at the moment of using the toggle the first time create an internal list of all objects in range, then go through them by button presses.

3. "Overview"

Please finally give me my ships radar somewhere in the FSS menu. I want to have a chance to see what's happening while i am in the scanner.

And of course, as suggested in the OP, eliminate the "throttle at zero" requirement.
Yes, I agree... If a "snap to target" or some sort of sensible "track target" could be implemented that would be very nice. ie: So you're in Supercruise and looking towards a target off to your right or left, so you may get some obvious slow "drift" of the target due to your relative movement at 90 degrees or so to it. If the FSS could realise the target you're aiming towards is drifting/moving because of your vector, and rotate/move your view to logically compensate... That could be nice!

Agreed - And let's say then that while moving, there is an issue with the workings of the mechanics and it proves hard to use them, then maybe the suggesion in the OP could be offered/applied to help!?

If it’s optional, that would be fine. Some of the things I’d like to use the FSS for while on the move won’t work unless the FSS is displays a real time, accurate view of where I’m looking. A static snapshot would defeat the purpose of why I want to be able to use it on the move.

If it’s optional, that would be fine. Some of the things I’d like to use the FSS for while on the move won’t work unless the FSS is displays a real time, accurate view of where I’m looking. A static snapshot would defeat the purpose of why I want to be able to use it on the move.

I think I agree with the sentiment here. I’d have much rather had the FSS as a HUD overlay, like the target reticle - on the ship’s canopy, rather than the full-screen semi-static thing it is - more like what the DSS is.

I think I agree with the sentiment here. I’d have much rather had the FSS as a HUD overlay, like the target reticle - on the ship’s canopy, rather than the full-screen semi-static thing it is - more like what the DSS is.

Which I also totally want to use on the move - although the speed I perform my flybys at would make targeting challenging, and probably increase the frequency of kinetic braking.

As for the people who keep saying 'sure it'll be harder but let us judge': You do understand you typically travel between 7500x and 15 million times faster in SC than the speed you currently use the FSS with? It wont be harder, the targets will be on screen less than a single frame as soon as you zoom in even once.

Of course we realize that. More importantly, I’ve accomplished this feat to resolve a moon of a gas giant while screaming towards it at 20c.

The most likely scenario for me to use the FSS while on the move will be to either look at bodies of distant stars while moving towards said distant stars, while climbing out of gravity wells after having landed on a planet, or using the FSS as a telescope to plan my braking maneuver and approach in advance.

In the first case, the relative angles and speeds are extremely smal compared to distance, so absulute speeds aren’t a factor, in the second case travel speeds are extremely low relative to the short distances involved, and in the third case, I’m not trying to resolve anything.

I’m a big girl. I can tie my shoes, walk while chewing bubble gum, and can even maneuver my SRV in one direction while firing in turret view in another. I’m sure I can handle using the FSS on the move.

Strangely, my main reason for wanting to use it on the move.... Is so I can be on the move :)

If using the FSS could be done so it works while in supercruise still via a realtime view, via some sort of tracking or adjustment to help the mechanics, brilliant. But if not, for me if entering the FSS creates a snap shot to work from, then that would do for me. At least you could then for example supercruise in Multicrew or use the Supercruise Assistant while FSS'ing :)

Of course we realize that. More importantly, I’ve accomplished this feat to resolve a moon of a gas giant while screaming towards it at 20c.

The most likely scenario for me to use the FSS while on the move will be to either look at bodies of distant stars while moving towards said distant stars, while climbing out of gravity wells after having landed on a planet, or using the FSS as a telescope to plan my braking maneuver and approach in advance.

In the first case, the relative angles and speeds are extremely smal compared to distance, so absulute speeds aren’t a factor, in the second case travel speeds are extremely low relative to the short distances involved, and in the third case, I’m not trying to resolve anything.

I’m a big girl. I can tie my shoes, walk while chewing bubble gum, and can even maneuver my SRV in one direction while firing in turret view in another. I’m sure I can handle using the FSS on the move.
Yeh, it would be interesting if FD would at least allow us to have the option of supercruising and using the FSS to determine what the problems are...?

As for the people who keep saying 'sure it'll be harder but let us judge': You do understand you typically travel between 7500x and 15 million times faster in SC than the speed you currently use the FSS with? It wont be harder, the targets will be on screen less than a single frame as soon as you zoom in even once.

Not at the sort of distances it'll be useful for they wont, they will to all intents be stationary.

I'd prefer unknown system signal headings or something I could use my ship for to explore instead of being limited to the FSS. The FSS would still be more efficient anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue with that is.

But that would be counter productive would it not for at least two reasons?
1) You'd have to turn your entire ship to aim at an object to identify it, which in a big ship could be slow?
2) Due to (1), you couldn't supercruise towards object X, while using the FSS to identify other objects in the system?

And the mechanics for Multicrew? ie: A crew member using the FSS would get what interface?

Last edited:
1) You'd have to turn your entire ship to aim at an object to identify it, which in a big ship could be slow?
It would solve the Anaconda being the premier Explorer for sure though 😅

I don't care how they do it so long as they do it. Zero throttle scanning kills the game flow and undoes most of the value in the new scanner design. Snapshot, lock-on, or just plain annoying scanning of moving targets: I don't care. Any shortcomings are well worth the benefit of maintaining your Supercruise speed and direction.

2) Due to (1), you couldn't supercruise towards object X, while using the FSS to identify other objects in the system?

And the mechanics for Multicrew? ie: A crew member using the FSS would get what interface?

It would be a far more integrated experience and make the FSS part of the process instead of being the process.
It would also provide a reason for Analysis Mode to actually exist - make the FSS visualization the Analysis Mode view out of the cockpit when in SC. It's the same objects in the same positions, so this is just a rendering change. The key would be how to handle the zoomed view, but a think that's where a HUD overlay popup comes in.

The camera mode already exists, so keep it for multicrew and for people who prefer to use the faster turning camera instead of the slower turning ship.

It would be a far more integrated experience and make the FSS part of the process instead of being the process.
It would also provide a reason for Analysis Mode to actually exist - make the FSS visualization the Analysis Mode view out of the cockpit when in SC. It's the same objects in the same positions, so this is just a rendering change. The key would be how to handle the zoomed view, but a think that's where a HUD overlay popup comes in.

The camera mode already exists, so keep it for multicrew and for people who prefer to use the faster turning camera instead of the slower turning ship.
Sorry... I'm probably being dim... :oops:

So I'm supercruising towards Object X and then want to FSS some of the remaining objects in the system. So I bring up this new FSS Hud overlay over my cockpit, and I can then rotate and zoom around the FSS information independent to my direction etc? ie: So I could somehow FSS objects behind the ship?

I'm struggling to understand how the interface/HUD would look/work?!

γ
Lucky you! I'm a big, too, boy in this case, but I can't manage driving while firing the turret due to nausea. I guess I'll have the same problem with a moving FSS, although I won't object to FD implementing it as optional.

γ

Lucky you! I'm a big, too, boy in this case, but I can't manage driving while firing the turret due to nausea. I guess I'll have the same problem with a moving FSS, although I won't object to FD implementing it as optional.
Well it's not like you couldn't choose to throttle down to whatever speed was comfortable. If you went down to zero you'd still have the same experience as before.

Top Bottom