Newcomer / Intro Any tools for scanning in non-explored systems?

Finally found unexplored double star but felt kinda wrong because of empty map. Spent five minutes flying in random direction and recieved message about discovered planets. I think that there are at least few planets hiding from me but I don't know how to check it w/o spending a lot of time in "Random flying" mode.
20190723195339_1.jpg
I

Use the Advanced Discovery Scanner. You just have to put it into a firegroup and change to HUD mode if you are in combat mode. If you honk it by holding a trigger, it will reveal all the bodies in the system.

You need to use the FSS screen in your ship. It is a built-in exploration survey tool. I did a guide to setting up the controls and how to use it:

P.S. As @Chris Simon says you need to put your Discovery Scanner in a firegroup (no Advanced version these days) - although the FSS also works without having "honked" the disco scanner - you just use the key you assigned to "Discovery Scan" in Options / Controls (in the Full Spectrum System Scanner section).

Last edited:
You can explore a system by flying around and looking out of the cockpit for dots shifting against the background stars.Then select them and fly closer until the basic scanner can see them. It takes a lot of time but you should do it at least once. Just for the hell of it.

Not necessarily.
You won't be awarded the first discoverer tag unless you are also the first one to report the finding at an Universal Cartographics representative (found in most stations and outposts)

So if someone else gets there, scan the system and then rushes back to report the finding, well... you get the idea.

Now just fly to each body and shoot it with your Discovery Scanner if fitted to map them all.
Should be Detailed Surface Scanner.

There's diminishing returns on that. I only map planets that are worth 100,000 credits or more. So I map
  • Ammonia Worlds
  • Earth-like Worlds
  • Water Worlds
  • High Metal Content Worlds (if terraformable)
  • Metal-Rich Bodies
  • Rocky World (if terraformable)
  • High Metal Content Worlds (non-terraformable) are worth 44,000 credits. There are plenty of them, so it is worth the effort.
Gas Giant Class II is worth 89,000 credits but are generally far out and use a lot of probes
Gas Giant Class I is 12,000
All others are under 10,000 but they are all worth much more than if they are unmapped.

Top Bottom