Newcomer / Intro Anybody Know What the Efficiency Bonus Is?

When mapping a planet I usually get the Efficiency Bonus for using the correct number (or less) probes. But I can't figure out what the value of the bonus is.

I did several internet searches and the best I could find was from the Wikia:

If the number of impacted probes is equal to or less than the listed "Efficiency Target", which can range from 2-22 probes depending on the object's mass, a credit bonus will also be awarded.

This seems to be quoted and copied on other sites too.

1) What is the value of the bonus? Is it a Percent or a fixed number?

2) Does the bonus increase if you use even less probes?

I am mildly curious about this as well. I have achieved a few but not paid enough attention to what the bonus is. If someone knows how it works, cool, otherwise I will do some experimenting with it tonight and collect data. Also unsure if the bonus is immediate or when data is turned in.

Hmm. Somebody wrote a thread about this in the beta forums. But i don't remember the details and can't find that one quickly any more. So really with the big caveats that i write this vaguely out of memory and have not tested myself:

- It's a binary thing. Either you hit the efficiency bonus or not. Beating it even more than just hitting the mark won't do any more good.
- Efficiency bonus increases the pay you get. I vaguely remember that the thread would've said that it's a set percentage more, but i really am not sure any more.

I hope even this vague info helps, but i'd be more than happy if somebody with better and more reliable info adds to it or corrects me, if i am wrong.

I try my best to ignore the silly bonus. It it supposed to be a scientific endeavor, not a round of Candy Crush.
The number determines my firing pattern, but thats all.

Once you have an engineered scanner, its almost impossible to fail.

I did a quick test on this, which implies quite a bit of bonus.
The test was so limited, that really no exact figures can be generalised from it, only two cases.
All bodies were 1st discovered and 1st mapped by me.

Case 1 (quite bad actually, there's non-negligible size difference):
HMC (not terraformable), radius 5057 km, mass 0.5427 Em, efficiency target missed => UC displayed value 139 368 Cr
HMC (not terraformable), radius 5490 km, mass 0.6965 Em, efficiency target met => UC displayed value 177 185 Cr
value increase 27.1%

Case 2 (much better, body size difference substantially smaller):
HMC (terraformable), radius 4339 km, mass 0.3301 Em, efficiency target missed => UC displayed value 1 542 460 Cr
HMC (terraformable), radius 4303 km, mass 0.3214 Em, efficiency target met => UC displayed value 1 924 866 Cr
value increase 24.8%

Accounting for size discrepancies and assuming no other significant factors are in play in these cases (such as difference in bulk/atmophere/material composition), one could infer value increase of 25% when the efficiency target is met, compared to situation where meeting efficiency target fails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom