Anyone else hunting for new US/Thargoid sites? Added candidate sites

Concerning my searching technique, I usually start by the equator and then I locate a point of reference in the edge of my view (a crater or canyon...) I go north or south a stop when I'm on the other side of this reference. Depending on the planet size, it shift me about 16-24° latitude. And so on until I reach 80° latitude. I fly around 120km from the surface, cockpit upside down. I stop regularly to check for a blue spot.

Let me known what you think about that: I should redefine some of the criteria for the planet candidates.
We known that all thargoid base system contains Ammonia bodies. But there are several Ammonia body types:
- Gas Giant
- Ammonia World
- Water World (Ammo atm)
- HMC (Ammo atm)
- Rocky (Ammo atm)
I've noticed that All the 217 known bases have either Gas Giant between 100K and 150K temperature (all the Ammonia Gas Giant are like that) or Ammonia World between 100K and 200K (Here AW with temp>200K do exist though). If we took theses news criteria, I've a new short list :
Pleiades Sector GW-W d1-54
Taurus Dark Region OX-U c2-9
Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55
Aries Dark Region VZ-O b6-3
HIP 14621
Synuefai RK-Y c17-3

it contain 4 planets you've already mentioned and two news (Taurus Dark Region OX-U c2-9 and Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55). Maybe a good start for reducing the list.

Last edited:
Another point is when the system contain several rocky candidate planets. Which one to choose ?
For the known sites, it is clear that the closest planet to the Ammonia world or Gas Giant Ammo is the planet chosen for the base establishment. So the shortest distance in ly will define the good body. I become difficult if the closest bodies are several moons orbiting around the same planet. Here we see that it look like random. But it may be not.
The most seen scheme is that the highest number of moon is chosen (TS0012, TS0077 or TS0039 for example). But sometime, it is the second to last (TS0124 or TS0072 for example) or rarely even closest to its planet (TS0082).
My theory is that when the thargoid bases have popped, the closest candidate (at this moment) was chosen. But because all the moons are orbiting it is not always the farest from its planet. It's quite likely but sometimes the highest moon letter is in the opposite side of the ammonia body so it miss the place.
That would mean that if we have candidates with several moons on the same planet (like Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 who've got 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d and 1e), we should start by the last. However, it's just a theory. But if it's true we should even recalculate the date of thargoid base spawning with the known bases choices. Well, maybe I go too far...

Last edited:
Concerning my searching technique, I usually start by the equator and then I locate a point of reference in the edge of my view (a crater or canyon...) I go north or south a stop when I'm on the other side of this reference. Depending on the planet size, it shift me about 16-24° latitude. And so on until I reach 80° latitude. I fly around 120km from the surface, cockpit upside down. I stop regularly to check for a blue spot.

That sounds good as long as you don't loose your reference point, isn't there a danger of that happening as you get part way there as it would change shape?
At 120 km alt there's no danger of you missing the little light green spot directly below or near sides, but at what spacing longitudes are you searching at?
I flew at 250 km alt, I did test this at a known site, including testing lat & long gaps, I could see it fine. Longitude gap was 30°, (which was overkill on small moons really), latitude varied with moon size.

I added Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 from your list to my list a few hrs ago, it's a good candidate.
Are you saying that all 217 TSs systems Ammonia containing planets (GG & AW) have a temp range of 100-200k? Or does it include AWs over 200k? I'm not sure which you mean, & not sure if you just mentioned that AWs over 200k exist but none so far are TS......
If the former then yeah it could help narrow down candidates a little bit, otherwise not ;).

Note I have already searched 3a in Pleiades Sector GW-W d1-54, but not 2a-d.
Re Taurus Dark Region OX-U c2-9, unless EDSMs data is incomplete, the only landable body there is a Rocky Ice world, although I haven't checked all 217 TSs for being rocky bodies or HMCs (checked 110), I've not heard of any being on a rocky ice world.
I've already searched HIP 14621, check my op(1st post) ;).

Last edited:
Another point is when the system contains several rocky candidate planets. Which one to choose ?
For the known sites, it is clear that the closest planet to the Ammonia world or Gas Giant Ammo is the planet chosen for the base establishment. So the shortest distance in ly will define the good body. I become difficult if the closest bodies are several moons orbiting around the same planet. Here we see that it look like random. But it may be not.
The most seen scheme is that the highest number of moon is chosen (TS0012, TS0077 or TS0039 for example). But sometime, it is the second to last (TS0124 or TS0072 for example) or rarely even closest to its planet (TS0082).
My theory is that when the thargoid bases have popped, the closest candidate (at this moment) was chosen. But because all the moons are orbiting it is not always the farest from its planet. It's quite likely but sometimes the highest moon letter is in the opposite side of the ammonia body so it miss the place.
That would mean that if we have candidates with several moons on the same planet (like Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 who've got 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d and 1e), we should start by the last. However, it's just a theory. But if it's true we should even recalculate the date of thargoid base spawning with the known bases choices. Well, maybe I go too far...

Now that's a good question, & 1 I couldn't come up with an answer as such.
I think you mean distance in Ls ;), but anyway, yes, unless the Ammonia atmos planet is orbiting the B star, in which case the TS was the nearest suitable rocky body/HMC to the A star IIRC.
If several moons, yea it's a headache, I wondered if they avoided, if possible, moons with volcanic activity, or at least preferred to avoid, but I know some sites are on volcanically active moons, & I think in some systems their was a choice of none volcanically moons, so that seem to bust that idea, but it might not be 100% busted, I didn't thoroughly check all known TSs systems. Anyway, I figured in the end, that where there is more than 1 suitable moon around a planet the pattern seemed random.
Your idea for moon & TS placement calculation might work, but we don't know when these sites appeared do we? 1st found certainly doesn't mean they appeared then.

Last edited:
You're right, Taurus Dark Region OX-U c2-9 is not a good candidate because of the ice presence.
For TS containing Ammonia World: yes they all are between 100 and 200 Kelvin. However, lot of AW close to merope are >200K (Mel 22 Sector OK-L b9-2, Pleiades Sector CB-X c1-11, Pleiades Sector GG-Y c4, Pleiades Sector DG-X c1-9 or HIP 23744) but none host TS. I've noticed what you've scanned, useless to do it twice. I'll go for all the Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 moons for the next days.

Last thing, I wonder if you scan a barnacle that is in the same system of a TS, does it make a POI for this base. Since the 2.4 update, scanning one barnacle shows every other barnacle and scanning TS show all the other barnacles in that system. I've already tested it here (BTW, all the barcacles of my scan are yet to be discovered and archived) :
JHF44hg.jpg

Maybe, if we found a barnacle instead of a new TS, scanning it will show undiscovered TS ? ... to be tested in barnacle and TS dual systems :
Hyades Sector AQ-Y d81 C 2
Pleiades Sector IX-S B4-4 A 6
Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0 A 6

too much things to do I fear...

Re TS Ammonia Containing Worlds, interesting, then you've discovered a new parameter :), that must've taken you a while to look through all the TSs to find that! ;). I'll add that to my op.
Btw, in which case I wouldn't bother searching systems with ACWs for TSs, that wipes those 5 off your search list ;). It could also explain why some other ACW don't have TSs despite apparently otherwise fitting the criteria.

Didn't know about the POI thing & barnacles in 2.4, interesting!
And if they are undiscovered you ought to report them to this thread :) [update] Unfortunately that site has already been found, see this table. (unless you just meant explored by your own cmdr of course ;)).

Good idea to see if Barnacles can reveal a new TS, though TBH I doubt it as I would've thought new TSs would've been found by now from new barnacles, but it's a quick & easy thing to check so worth doing.
I could do that if your busy elsewhere, although I've been to some TSs none are mapped as a POI.

Last edited:
You're right, Taurus Dark Region OX-U c2-9 is not a good candidate because of the ice presence.
For TS containing Ammonia World: yes they all are between 100 and 200 Kelvin. However, lot of AW close to merope are >200K (Mel 22 Sector OK-L b9-2, Pleiades Sector CB-X c1-11, Pleiades Sector GG-Y c4, Pleiades Sector DG-X c1-9 or HIP 23744) but none host TS. I've noticed what you've scanned, useless to do it twice. I'll go for all the Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 moons for the next days.

Last thing, I wonder if you scan a barnacle that is in the same system of a TS, does it make a POI for this base. Since the 2.4 update, scanning one barnacle shows every other barnacle and scanning TS show all the other barnacles in that system. I've already tested it here (BTW, all the barcacles of my scan are yet to be discovered and archived) :
https://i.imgur.com/JHF44hg.jpg

Maybe, if we found a barnacle instead of a new TS, scanning it will show undiscovered TS ? ... to be tested in barnacle and TS dual systems :
Hyades Sector AQ-Y d81 C 2
Pleiades Sector IX-S B4-4 A 6
Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0 A 6

too much things to do I fear...

Errm, by any chance do these POIs only show for barnacles with an SRV?? I don't have 1 in my FDL atm! :p;)

Oh & I've just discovered Pleiades Sector IX-S B4-4 isn't a dual TS & Barnacle system anyway, lol...... neither is Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0.

Last edited:
Uh... sorry, only Hyades Sector AQ-Y d81 got bot barnacle and TS, I was just doing a quick read and the two others are not good. my mistake ... However, it seems that do not work for discovering new TS. I've done Synuefai RK-Y c17-3 1F and almost all 1E moon too. nothing found. In these case, it would have been very useful that thargoid link would point the closest TS instead of merope.

No worries ;), so do I need to be in an SRV to get the POIs to show? My FDL is kitted out with a DSS now but I could swap that for an SRV hangar (though I had to ditch the SCB which I'm not keen about!).

Or are you saying you've found out/read that discovering Barnacles POIs does not bring up TS POIs anyway?

Last edited:
Nope, getting a Barnacle as a POI does not show the TS in the nav list, just other barnacles.

Oh, just incase anyone else is reading this thread, big announcement coming soon! :D :cool: (well 3 technically).

Here we go, 3 new Thargoid structures were found today.
Details of the new sites are here :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9EmbiZr-3N7IKcEK0tPE_h7V5yWt6ZXPaGZuQ/pubhtml

Congrat for all the cmdr for the hunt. Searching and finding nothing is a big result too, so credit is for them too.
And still so many planets to scan....

Congrats on finding the new sites tonio :cool:, & thanks for letting me come along to 1 of you're new discoveries, & glad I could help :).

Last edited:
I'm out in the Pleiades studying 'goid behaviours at human ship destruction instances and searching for new sites.

I'm also visiting some previously discovered 'goid bases in the hope I can stir up the nest (so to speak).

Great data in the OP.

I'm subscribing to this thread.

Here's some news about new TS search. List of the last planets I've integrally scanned :

Aries Dark Region HR-W d1-55 1a, 1c, 1d
Pleiades Sector DG-X c1-9 2a
Pleiades Sector IH-V c2-5 1a, 1b

In the 220 TS listed, no WaterWorld with Ammonia atmosphere seems to host Thargoid base. So we should eliminate all WW containing system listed:
Pleiades Sector LC-V c2-4
Hyades Sector DL-Y d73
HIP 23139
HIP 17643
Col 285 Sector EQ-X C1-10
Synuefai TF-Y c17-6

It appears too that Rocky body or HMC body that host TS may not be chosen randomly. Lot of them seems to approach 210/212K as much as possible. It's the case for TS0012 (14 bodies candidates), TS0030 (18 candidates), TS0039 (26 Candidates) or TS0048 (32 Candidates!). So the body with the temperature that's the closest to 210K host TS.
However, there are a few counter examples, like TS0057. But it work for a good 200 Thargoid bases. Maybe this temperature mean something for Ammonia metabolism.

Additional system that matches the criterias :
Synuefe UZ-X c17-10

Top Bottom