Anyone else hunting for new US/Thargoid sites? Added candidate sites

I though I would give you an update on progress on the Miskatonic University Galactic Expedition as you might find it of interest.

[EDSM]expedition::49[/EDSM]

Thanks to the efforts of everyone on the Expedition we are now getting some good information on site variants.

So far we have found six broad categories of site with 0 to 6 leviathans. But now that we have found a good way of subdividing sites using leviathan counts we are now seeing that these categories also have variants.

The new priority on the expedition is to count the number of Leviathans for classification and take screenshots of the site from above. Given that the sites are frequently dark, we would ask that you take pictures using the night vision mode. You can't use night vision with the external camera but if you view it through the cockpit, you can trigger the camera in high res mode from solo using the Alt-F10 keys.

You can see the data and images on our Google Sheet

Good job by you & the squad so far :cool:, sorry I haven't been able to help, since helping a friend with a civil war I've been helping to fight Thargoid infested & incursion systems.

Btw, what are you referring to when you say 'leviathans'?

Last edited:
Good job by you & the squad so far :cool:, sorry I haven't been able to help, since helping a friend with a civil war I've been helping to fight Thargoid infested & incursion systems.

Btw, what are you referring to when you say 'leviathans'?

Leviathans are the kind of big structure you can find all around the central place of the TS. They have different sizes likely corresponding to a growing state. We used to repertoriate them and see if they can evolve. I still have a bunch of screenshot of them (july/august 2017). Maybe it's a good time for a comparison with MUGE expedition data if not already done. I remember that it has been done in late 2017 with Panpiper on a couple of TS, but no evolution of Leviathan has been observed yet AFAIK.

Cool, good job LCU :), am I right in saying this replaces your USS survey?

And I shall be heading back to the Pleiades soon after I get back to the bubble [up], and TS hunting once more ;).

Last edited:
Cool, good job LCU :), am I right in saying this replaces your USS survey?

And I shall be heading back to the Pleiades soon after I get back to the bubble [up], and TS hunting once more ;).

Yep. Its a replacement. There are only 100 candidates on my list.

The site will be removed from the list when you fill in the form. But it only gets update every hour or so.

But the new patrol makes it easy to temp ignore sites

Ok cool, but how do I get the TS candidate list patrol to show up in EDMC?

Atm the patrol is listing Canonn systems which need help to increase influence....

After an EDMC crash & restart, the patrol is now showing TS candidate patrols :), although the 1st one I get (Hyades sector eb-x c1-17 has already been searched (see list in my op).

Last edited:
Ok cool, but how do I get the TS candidate list patrol to show up in EDMC?

Atm the patrol is listing Canonn systems which need help to increase influence....

After an EDMC crash & restart, the patrol is now showing TS candidate patrols :), although the 1st one I get (Hyades sector eb-x c1-17 has already been searched (see list in my op).

I'll see if I can add the rest of your list to the sheet. If you do spot any that have already been searched just click on the text to launch the form and submit it, then it will be removed from the patrol next time

I've been doing a few patrols myself. Managed to find some hitherto unknown barnacle sites in Pleiades Sector GM-V c2-3 A 1

Cool :).

And yea after my last post that's what I did, I removed at least one like that (only just got started with patrolling).

[update] I've updated the op, cleaned it up & re-arranged it, & more importantly talked about & linked EDMC & your patrol plugin, thanks for automating it LCU, makes things much easier :cool:.

Btw, for your candidate list, did you scan systems with planets that had any ammonia in them? (plus other candidate criteria I assume).

Last edited:
Cool :).

And yea after my last post that's what I did, I removed at least one like that (only just got started with patrolling).

[update] I've updated the op, cleaned it up & re-arranged it, & more importantly talked about & linked EDMC & your patrol plugin, thanks for automating it LCU, makes things much easier :cool:.

Btw, for your candidate list, did you scan systems with planets that had any ammonia in them? (plus other candidate criteria I assume).

Yes I used a function that identified suitable systems based on whether they contained ammonia and had candidate bodies in the right temperature and gravity ranges. It also filters on star class.

There are still over 400 systems in the patrol list.

400!? You said 100 the other day, that'll keep us busy for a while ;).

Btw EDMC patrol has stopped getting systems for me :(, it's stuck on 'fetching patrols'. So I can't search atm. [update] Got patrols now! :)

1 issues about the patrol notice, we don't need to do a complete FSS scan do we? We only need to scan RBs & HMCs without atmosphere, right?
Or is that incase planets are missing from EDSM? In which case we'd only need to do that when the body count doesn't match.

Last edited:
Of you are sure everything is scanned then you dont need to personally scan it all.

If it gets stuck can you look in the logs and see if you get any error messages.

I think occasionally when google is refreshing its cache the patrol can take a while to load

Ah ok, that might it explain it then.

Re patrol req's, roger that, at a minimum I've only been FSS scanning RBs & HMCs without atmospheres, as that's all we need (& checking body count, if it were under then I'd scan for the missing body(ies)). But someone jumping into this anew will likely just scan the whole lot, as per the text, but that isn't needed ;).

[edit]
Hmm, I'd left EDMC open from an earlier play session so that I wouldn't have to wait for a patrol system again, but on reloading ED, EDMC crashed again (non responsive) (waited until after scanning a system), so I had to reload it & wait anyway.....

Can you tell me what the columns mean in your spreadsheet? So that I can carry on patrolling even when EDMC is down?

Last edited:
Weird. I haven't had a single crash in days!

Column headers for the Shell sheet.

pubchart

Well, I've found some new barnacles at Pleiades Sector CB-N b7-0 (some more at A1 & some at A2), but no new TS yet.

EDMC seems to be behaving itself atm........

[update] Spoke to soon, got the following crash report...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EDMarketConnector.exe
Application Version: 3.3.8.0
Application Timestamp: 4f3f0f2f
Fault Module Name: tcl85.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.5.2.15
Fault Module Timestamp: 58a239c1
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0007898f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: ebb6
Additional Information 2: ebb6d08a32bfc019fb4949a0f8d65023
Additional Information 3: ad79
Additional Information 4: ad79183af7363c966cf43b0b90d5824d

Log file
?

Where's EDMC's log file? Couldn't see it in programfiles(x86)......

Last edited:
Top Bottom