Anyone else preping a Ship for the Thargoid's?

I havn't met any Thargoid in battle, so i don't know how to prepare a proper ship. Any speculation will only lead to failure... My first ship to counter a Thargoid, will be a Sidewinder. And i will do nothing, but evade and observe how it will be turned to shreds. Then i will prepare a decent ship (or build an adequate protection and defense system into my Asp Explorer), using the gathered data and the many 100 mills, i have waiting on my cred account. But honestly... I'd still hope for a peaceful contact though.

I have an iCourier outfitted and engineered up to have ca 800 m/s boost speed, with G5 lightweight weapons (okay, *one* weapon on the ship, a G5 lightweight medium beam laser). Nice for keeping the distance and staying outside the power-loss radius of the Thargoid ships.

Other than that, I have a varied stable of ships that I use for assorted purposes.

I've posted in this thread already, but let me sharpen my stance:

1) We know nothing in respect to the Thargoids offensive or deffinsive capabilities. All we know is, that our weapons will be less effective against them. If this is true for all weapons of just kinetics, thermal or explosive is unknown. Therefore, any special preparation in respect to shields and weapons is pointless.
2) The only aspect that is still completely under our control is our ship's speed (mainly combat speed, but also jump range).
3) The main engineer for combat speed is Professor Palin, who happens to live right where the Thargoids are expected to appear first!

Conclusion:
All we can do right now - and also what we should do imo (if having access) - is to make the trip to Maia and get our thrusters upgraded to the max. For running or fighting, that's up to anyones preference.

Who knows how difficult it will be in the future to reach the professor. If he survives. Game of Thrones taught us, that no main character is guaranteed to live in modern storytelling ...

--

Edit:
And oh yes, of course restocking the mats is a good advice by Clicker, too. Even if we don't know the exact components of future engineer upgrades (and I bet that there will be some new, Thargoid-related ingredients involved), there will be more traditional components necessary for sure.

Last edited:
well if they can catch me in my courier (the Impotent Rage) at 740 then they deserve the kill.
Yeah this has been my thinking. I reckoned I needed:

• Cheap rebuy - for inevitable deaths
  • Speed - for getting in and out
  • Range of hardpoints - for scientific experiments

The answer was definitely Courier. I am ready to science things up :)

I'm just tinkering with it now. I'm guessing the first engagements won't be near a station so have given it an ranged A-class FSD, but going light & fast elsewhere.

Definitely going to add Regen sequence to one weapon just to help keep others alive. Just pondering now which other experimental effects are worth applying. Def not the corrosive, they'll be primed for that.

I am not preping a ship per se BUT I am going throught and rebuying each of my ships at the lowest possible price then transfering engineered stuff across to the new ship for the purpose of lowering rebuy by 5-15%.

I've been gathering as many of the Thargoid engineering materials and data as possible for the inevitable RNG that will arrive with the new anti-Thargoid weapons [ATW]. I may be wrong but, getting those ATW's is only half the job.

I have an iCourier outfitted and engineered up to have ca 800 m/s boost speed, with G5 lightweight weapons (okay, *one* weapon on the ship, a G5 lightweight medium beam laser). Nice for keeping the distance and staying outside the power-loss radius of the Thargoid ships.
I demand that you call it Sir Robin

Yeah this has been my thinking. I reckoned I needed:

• Cheap rebuy - for inevitable deaths
  • Speed - for getting in and out
  • Range of hardpoints - for scientific experiments

The answer was definitely Courier. I am ready to science things up :)

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/852720452191057800/809C969648B3E0FA0AAFF1A244BD76CDB11738ED/

I'm just tinkering with it now. I'm guessing the first engagements won't be near a station so have given it an ranged A-class FSD, but going light & fast elsewhere.

Definitely going to add Regen sequence to one weapon just to help keep others alive. Just pondering now which other experimental effects are worth applying. Def not the corrosive, they'll be primed for that.
+1 rep for the ship name in the picture. :D

Come to think of it, I might rename my own iCourier 'Thom Cruz'. (Have you noticed how much 'running away from things' Tom Cruise does in his movies?)

No. I don't see any point in trying to guess what we'll need. Makes more sense to me to wait until we see what FD throws at us. Our current Engineering won't cut it, I'm pretty sure of that.

While I've got a number of ships I might be able to put the new weapons on, I reckon I need to pay attention to the internals as well. Not much good capturing a thargoid if you can't get her into the ship.

I've got some corrosion resistant cargo racks to put em in, but what I really need is some sort of corrosion persistent prisoner cells if they are worth more alive. Sadly I've not found the regular ones yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom