Anyone notice an FPS increase after the update?

I'm running a GTX 970 and getting a solid 53 FPS on the ground and 47FPS in the heart of settlements. It's been getting better, but the real performance patches will be coming in the next two larger updates from what they stated.

For reference, when I started Odyssey at release I was getting 25FPS lol; so I've been having good increases across the board on "old hardware".

I always check rather than assume, in some places slow framerates can seem smooth if there isn't a lot of detail around. Sometimes also I have noticed eveyrthing goes jerky for a while which could be low FSP and when I check I still have 50fps, so I think they are network issues rather than FPS issues.

He has a good Gsync Laptop that has a minimum refresh rate of like 8 or 10, it's nuts (From Sager Notebooks) So yeah, it probably appears pretty smooth to him.

I have a really bad Phillips 1440p 32 inch monitor I got because I was waiting for OLED to mature. That's going on 3 years now. It's so bad everything immediately gets jerky/dropped frames at 58FPS or lower, lol.

Framerate up a bit, but I would say I think they have fixed the frametimes a bit, I'm not getting nearly as huge stutters anymore

Seems no better or worse for me, though fps still swings wildly dependent on view. I can have 90 or so looking in one section of a station then down to 45 a small turn later. Similar variation of frames on bases with worse stutters.
Using a 5600x and 6700xt and 3600mhz memory. Resolution, 1440p

I feel like if the people with the good gpus (like 3070 / 3080, 6700xt) would run at 1080p they would most likely get good framerate all round

The past few releases I've been swapping back and forth between 1440p and 1080p, and after today's update I definitely saw a pretty big jump at 1080p, but not really much movement at all at 1440p. Though, it actually ran without crashing frequently at 1440p, which it absolutely did not do before this patch, so I'm thankful for that.

For reference, I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600X and Radeon 5700XT, 32 GB 4200MHz RAM
Here's my rough notes

@1080p before today
100-120 FPS in space, dips sometimes down to 60 when approaching stations
65 FPS in concourse/settlement, regular dips to 35-40 fps

@1080p after today
130 FPS in space, still dips when approaching things, still around 60, maybe 65
75 FPS in concourse/settlement, still dips but rarely goes below 50 or so

@1440p before and after today, no difference
100-120 FPS in space, dips on approach same as 1080p, not too much difference
60 FPS in concourse/settlement, regular dips to 30-35 fps

Though I will say, these are super general case. On a concourse, you can swing the FPS from down around 30 to 90 if you run through the bar and look at the wall. It's still not super consistent at least by the numbers. Though again, I will say before today I could not keep odyssey running at 1440p for more than 30 minutes, if I was lucky. Often I'd get no more than 10-15 minutes before crash to desktop, while 1080p has worked fine. I am writing this after spending 2 hours in game at 1440p, doing a settlement restore power mission (with 15 bonus raiders), and then bouncing around a bit to a few stations looking for gear. (crosses fingers) No crash so far.

I'm running a GTX 970 and getting a solid 53 FPS on the ground and 47FPS in the heart of settlements. It's been getting better, but the real performance patches will be coming in the next two larger updates from what they stated.

For reference, when I started Odyssey at release I was getting 25FPS lol; so I've been having good increases across the board on "old hardware".
What settings are you running, generally? I'm having similar performance on my GTX 970 (though I was really worried during the Alpha when I couldn't get above 25 FPS in settlements)

I used to run this game on the highest settings. Turned some things down a bit before I started playing the release versions b/c of my experience in Alpha...then messed about with shadow settings because they kept waving around like some sort of rave going on in a parallel dimension.

The past few releases I've been swapping back and forth between 1440p and 1080p, and after today's update I definitely saw a pretty big jump at 1080p, but not really much movement at all at 1440p. Though, it actually ran without crashing frequently at 1440p, which it absolutely did not do before this patch, so I'm thankful for that.

For reference, I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600X and Radeon 5700XT, 32 GB 4200MHz RAM
Here's my rough notes

@1080p before today
100-120 FPS in space, dips sometimes down to 60 when approaching stations
65 FPS in concourse/settlement, regular dips to 35-40 fps

@1080p after today
130 FPS in space, still dips when approaching things, still around 60, maybe 65
75 FPS in concourse/settlement, still dips but rarely goes below 50 or so

@1440p before and after today, no difference
100-120 FPS in space, dips on approach same as 1080p, not too much difference
60 FPS in concourse/settlement, regular dips to 30-35 fps

Though I will say, these are super general case. On a concourse, you can swing the FPS from down around 30 to 90 if you run through the bar and look at the wall. It's still not super consistent at least by the numbers. Though again, I will say before today I could not keep odyssey running at 1440p for more than 30 minutes, if I was lucky. Often I'd get no more than 10-15 minutes before crash to desktop, while 1080p has worked fine. I am writing this after spending 2 hours in game at 1440p, doing a settlement restore power mission (with 15 bonus raiders), and then bouncing around a bit to a few stations looking for gear. (crosses fingers) No crash so far.
How does it look in CZ on foot - this hits the hardest

Definitely gone backwards with constant microstuttering now, now matter what situation I'm in. 8086K @5GHz and GTX1080 @ ultra and 1440p. Best FPS I've seens is 110fps in supercruise.

edit - just popped into a high-res at Shinrarta Dezhra in solo and the game is unusable with major microstuttering even looking at the menus. Was using Odyssey for solo pew pew during the last week but it's 'LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!!!1!!!1' for poor old me after the new patch.

I am sad.

Second edit - seriously tho, it IS now unusable, and I really am sad.

Last edited:
40-50 at the settlement I tested on last night on triple screen 7680x1440p up from the 20fps I was getting. On stations still range around the 30's. This is with a RTX 3070.

Space am still around the 120 mark I was in horizons.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
There are a lot of people who had potato PCs even during the Horizons era and couldn't get 60fps, so for them, getting a steady 20-30fps is considered "great smooth performance." Anyone who bought a GPU that is less than 5 years old however have a much higher standard for framerate expectations.

On the other hand, i DO wonder why people who have cards like an RTX 3080 say that performance is "great" now that they can get 50fps at 1080p. Like...you probably spent $1200 on that GPU, you should be expecting a lot more than 50fps from a 6 year old game.
This is why I'm always ever interested in cold hard numbers when talking performance.

On my older hardware 45fps was "fine", on my current one it's "rubbish" now.

There's again the odd yo-yo FPS effect going on. The current patch did partly increase my FPS on planetside and in stations from 25-30 to around 35 on high-quality settings, but they'll soon dip back to below 30. The framerates are highly inconsistent.

Not seeing any difference.

Anyone else getting a noticable, brief stutter shortly after entering the mailslot of a station? Getting this every single time...

For me it's got worse after the patch, about 5-10 fps lower in various situations. And in addition I have some ugly stuttering / short freezing when approaching planetary installations / POIs.

Watching Yamiks stream, he has the same hardware i do, it looks like he is getting about the same frame rate as usual.
I get about an extra 10fps when looking through glass. It dropped to 40 before patch and now drops to 50.

But I was having lots of random CTDs when before I was only getting the odd one.

No change sadly. But then I don't think this patch was really about performance, that will come last from what I understand.

I feel like if the people with the good gpus (like 3070 / 3080, 6700xt) would run at 1080p they would most likely get good framerate all round
5600x & 3060Ti .

At 1080p with everything set to max I get:
  • 250 -270 fps in deep space (cf Horizons I would get 400ish fps in deep space)
  • 150 near planets/stations
  • 80 - 150 in the concourse*
  • 50 - 90 on planet
* Yesterday at one station looking in one certain direction it dropped to a very stuttery 25 . Not had that in EDO before.

Yesterdays update didn't make any noticeable difference to my framerate. Though it seems to have introduced a bug where I occasionally get black adders when disembarking. 3 last night again not something I'd experienced before in EDO

I got not really more FPS but they got more stable.

In the concourses I now don't go wildly between 25 and 45 frames but stay mostly at the upper end. At least until I look through the outside window, that tanks the FPS still.
Normal settlements are also more stable now, haven't tried CZ yet.

But there are new bugs with disappearing objects now happening for me.
For instance a download panel in a settlement vanishes sometimes if I stand in a 45 degree angle to either side of it and turn my char. It then pops in and out of existence. :)

i see fps is all over the place when nvidias fps counter is not showing n/a ...
i recently unlocked the gfx settings in game that i had set to 120hz and fps to now match my monitor at 240hz with the games gfx settings to 300fps

i see:
~ 100~240 fps in spcae
~ 60~180 fps in stations (docking stages)
~ 60~100 fps concourses
~ 50~180 fps on foot at different bases w/fire or not

Asus Z390-Pro Gaming
Alienware 2521HF Monitor @240hz Using Display Port (1920x1080)
i9 9900k Variable Clock Speed 3.60GHz to 5.00GHz
Water Cooled By Corsair Radiator And Dual Fans
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
RipJaws DDR4 3600 SDRAM 128GB
SSD Drives
gsync and vsync on ... default gfx settings and in game gfx settings all at high
You are getting better performance then me and I have an RTX 2070.

The difference is that you have more ram and a better CPU.

So I'm assuming the the issues aren't GPU related but ram and CPU related.

Top Bottom