Anyone play on both the PS4 and PC ?

Hi All,

I play Elite on the PS4 and when I first got it I had to create a Frontier account. Elite is currently on special for PC via Humble Bundle so I bought it and added it to my Steam library as one day I might pick up a gaming PC again. Upon launching it, it asks me to either register or log into an existing Frontier account so I've tried to get it to log into the same Frontier account that I created when I bought it for the PS4. The problem is that it has gotten itself stuck in a loop where it asks me for my login details, then asks me to enter a verification code, then asks me for my login details...

My guess is that you can't use the same Frontier account for two different platforms (the stupidity of this is making me regret my purchase already) so my question is this... If there's anyone here that plays on both the PS4 and PC then are you using the same Frontier account for both ? I know you can't share commanders / purchases between platforms but I would have thought that you could keep the same Frontier account.

Thanks

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Hi there,

I have both my PC and PS4 Frontier accounts registered to the same email address so I am not sure why yours is not working. I did it the other way around though, I had the PC account first and then when I registered on PS4 I used my existing Frontier account login details and it worked fine.

Nothing carries over between the accounts anyway so it is a bit of a mute point, I just wanted one email address for all my Frontier stuff.

You could raise a ticket with support and ask them about why its got you stuck in a loop.

https://support.frontier.co.uk/login.php?page=contact

PS: I play very little on the PC

Last edited:
Hi Stormy / Stinja,

Thanks for confirming it's possible and I've now found the issue. When you fire up Elite for the first time on the PC it'll ask you if you want to register an account or log into an existing one. If you have an existing one that you want to log into then you don't select the option to log into your existing account because of course you don't. Instead you choose the option to register a new account at which point you'll be given the opportunity to enter your registration code and enter the details of your existing account... *sigh* I don't even know what to say.

Oh well, it's all registered now so it can be consigned to my "pile of shame" and by the time I get around to playing it on the PC there will probably be a new version that I need to buy.

Thanks

Lloyd Morgan-Moore

Producer
Frontier
This was likely caused by the way the game is registered to your Frontier account via Steam. There is a separate (outside of game) process where you input your game code alongside your Frontier store email address to link the 2 together. It should then work as expected when you launch the game for the first time. (Note: This won't affect you unless you specifically go from console to PC via Steam)

It sounds like you have managed to link your account however if you could submit a ticket about this (if you haven't already, that is!) please ,we can check that the link has been completed fully so you won't be held up any further when you get around to playing it on PC.

This was likely caused by the way the game is registered to your Frontier account via Steam. There is a separate (outside of game) process where you input your game code alongside your Frontier store email address to link the 2 together. It should then work as expected when you launch the game for the first time. (Note: This won't affect you unless you specifically go from console to PC via Steam)

It sounds like you have managed to link your account however if you could submit a ticket about this (if you haven't already, that is!) please ,we can check that the link has been completed fully so you won't be held up any further when you get around to playing it on PC.

Hi Lloyd / Stormy / Stinja,

Thanks for that. I can raise a ticket but it seems to have registered OK as I can fire it up on my laptop and get to start screen. One quick question though... I've come across two different URLs for the store now when trying to buy stuff for the PC version which are

www.frontierstore.net
steam.elitedangerous.com

Does it matter which one I buy add-ons (paint jobs, decals etc.) from so long as I'm logged into my Frontier account ?

Thanks

I've only ever bought skins etc from the official store.

Didn't seem much point giving Valve a cut, when i'm trying to support Frontier... But I believe they all link back fine to your PC account, as it's linked to your ED game account.

Nope. They're completely different accounts so you can't continue your game on a different platform or use any add-ons that you bought on a different platform.
Then .. why would you want to link accounts in the first place if you have no plans to transfer anything at all.. there is no advantage to having the accounts linked for any reason I can discern except for a one time transfer of credits and deleting of your character.

Then .. why would you want to link accounts in the first place if you have no plans to transfer anything at all...

A couple of reasons, the main one being that I already have hundreds of accounts and generally prefer not to create needless additional accounts that I then have to remember the details for.

Added to that just because some things weren't possible at the time, it didn't mean they wouldn't be possible in the future. You couldn't share a Fortnite account across PS4 and XB1 initially but guess what happend ? That changed and now you can. Just like at the time I had no intention of transferring anything to PC but that perspective changes when you realise that the PS4 port is the unwanted step child of the family.

hey come now, even unwanted step children can surprise people. I have a main ps4 account and a alt pc account, but because I can only play on a basic laptop the graphics are not as crisp or defined as they are on my ps4. so yeah the ps4 might be a step child but for some of us it certainly isn't unwanted

An element of PC CMDRs do not want the console versions supported, because we "hold back development", change designs to "cater for casuals", and generally limit the game's potential. Apparently.
I've even read that without consoles we'd have this utopian space sim, like everything Star Citizen has promised but more, all delivered by now, including atmo planets, space legs, pet dinosaur pets, all in 8K VR. Oh and they could remove baby-Solo and PvE modes, cause only consolebears use them.

While there's an element of truth around power-disparity limiting things (although I disagree all PCs are more powerful than consoles, love to see the stats on low/mid tier PCs used), I bet the cash injections from PS4 and Xbox helped the game keep going.

But yes, i would fully support having a single unified account across all platforms.
It'd be great to jump on the PS4 and do some casual ratting, swap to PC for VR, to flat-screen PC for asp-in-front-things, all on the same account and friends from all platforms together.

I'm thick in the head this AM, so I'll ask this plainly - can cosmetics be transferred (one time) from one platform to another? If I were to switch to a PC or XBox One X, I would have little reason to play on PS4 anymore.

I'm guessing the answer is "no", which is just another reason for me to wait until PS5 comes out. I'm fairly certain I have spent more on cosmetics than I did the original game!

No, cosmetics don't transfer which is a real kick in the teeth when you've spent a lot of money on cosmetics. I can see why they didn't transfer at the time but I would have thought they could do it nowadays, just like Fortnite.

I would like to play with same account on PC and PS4 to continue experience on different platforms (PC is mine, PS4 belongs to my son's...), is this finally possible?

Top Bottom