Anyone taken a gourd mollusc tissue sample?

Per title, anyone successfully done that yet? Its a valid research limpet target, but mine just keep failing to attach and just die. About to bug report.

Note: Research limpet will only allow you to launch a limpet if it's a valid target:

[video=youtube;1W_64PoSnA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_64PoSnA8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ok, so basically there's a possibility that the various Thargoid-related tools may work against other non-human targets as well now?

Darn, I thought long and hard whether or not to pack research limpets and decided against it as I figured they were Thargoid-only. It's really too bad there are so many limpet and scanner types that it's impossible to equip for everything unless flying an Uberconda.

Would love it if limpets & scanner modules were refactored into racks instead; bigger racks have more slots, and different sized modules take up more slots.

Ok, so basically there's a possibility that the various Thargoid-related tools may work against other non-human targets as well now?

Darn, I thought long and hard whether or not to pack research limpets and decided against it as I figured they were Thargoid-only. It's really too bad there are so many limpet and scanner types that it's impossible to equip for everything unless flying an Uberconda.

Would love it if limpets & scanner modules were refactored into racks instead; bigger racks have more slots, and different sized modules take up more slots.

Not just possibility, definitely. I've already taken samples from other space organics.

Unfortunately, they're only worth a couple thousand, have boring descriptions, and don't really have any interesting effects. But for RP-sake, it's a fun activity.

FWIW, and you might notice it in this video, I never go anywhere without a multitude of scanners and research limpets, and if I can fit them, hatch-breakers. Nothing to do with most of them, but just in case I luck out one day.

Last edited:
Just curious: In the left corner it's suggested to use the composition scanner. You certainly have done this, what did it say?

Nothing much. That's just how you register/confirm discoveries and get the codex credit rewards. It's not like the Xeno Scanner where you get subtargets on Thargoids (though, that does nothing for these either :) )

I've previously done what I tried in the above video to successfully get samples from Collared Pods (you get a Seed Pod Sample, or something like that).

Last edited:
Not just possibility, definitely. I've already taken samples from other space organics.

Unfortunately, they're only worth a couple thousand, have boring descriptions, and don't really have any interesting effects. But for RP-sake, it's a fun activity.

FWIW, and you might notice it in this video, I never go anywhere without a multitude of scanners and research limpets, and if I can fit them, hatch-breakers. Nothing to do with most of them, but just in case I luck out one day.

I totally don't care about the credits. What I do care about is discoveries/"science". But the only way to increase the number of scanners/limpets is by leaving other stuff behind; I've already discarded the SLF. I guess I can swap repair limpets for research limpets, and I do have room for a Xeno scanner (I can ditch the point defence), but that's it unless I want to start cutting into "essentials" (AFMU, Guardian FSD, SRV).

It never occurred to me to install a research limpet controller. I can report that gourd molluscs appear to be impervious to multicannon rounds. Perhaps a new form of ship armour could come from this? I shall file a report with the Federation Bioweapons Division. ;)

I used my AX fighter against those (ax mc, kinetic damage), nothing happened. Maybe trying guardian plasma(absolute damage) or gauss weapons(thermal damage) would yield different results, though I hardly believe so.
Edit: or corrosion damage maybe?
Like breaking its shell before taking a sample.

Last edited:
Sampling like that works fine on Umbrella Molluscs, so probably just a bug with the Gourd ones.

Nothing much. That's just how you register/confirm discoveries and get the codex credit rewards.
You can also use it to confirm behavioural traits if you scan while they're displaying that trait.

e.g. at least most of the molluscs turn towards light sources

I am at HIP 11792 in the crystal and mollusc field. Xeno Scanner can be used but gives nothing, research limpet still fails even tho frontier took notice of it in Feb 7, 2019
Data link, manifest scanner zero too. Only composition scanner gives codex entry for mollusc and crystals.
Pulse wave shows textures on the crystals but my mining laser is doing nothing to it, maybe I need to use prospector limpet next time?

Dropping Thargoid Sensor seems to not do much. Sensor just has static discharges around it and screams in Thargoid sometimes

Top Bottom