Apex Legends. FtP battle royale

Finally got around to downloading it. FUmbled around in the menu, looked at the chars and weapons. I'm going to try it tomorrow (It's almost 4am. :D)

Is there any character that is kind of noob-friendly? As I understand it, there is kind of a DPS/Tank/Healer mechanic so what I'm asking, I think, is - is there a character which, when played badly, won't ruin it too much for the whole team? :D :D

I wrote above that Lifeline is a good starting character. Gets a 25% boost to healing and reviving speed as well as a shield to protect you when reviving. Her tactical ability (press Q) deploys a wee healing drone that all can use if in range. Her ultimate ability (press Z when charged) is a kind of drop pod that has high level defensive gear inside, use it as soon as you can as often as you can. Just bear in mind it makes a visual and audio racket when coming in and can give others a clue to your position.

There's a tank character called Gibraltar also that can take a lot of damage i havent played him myself yet though.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I am far from an expert but I agree that either Lifeline or Gibraltar are probably best suited for beginners. With Lifeline you learn the basics of healing, knockdown and respawn mechanics which are fundamental to play the game and what differentiates Apex from other BR. And with Gibraltar you can practice basic combat in a more forgiving form.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Some of these team mates, man... I mean, I know I suck but some of them are just heckbent on killing themselves by going solo against a full enemy squad. Cant poeple just look at the map?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Also random team mates are more likely to disconnect when knocked down, not even a chance for revive...

Last edited:
Made top 2 squads twice with no teammates. It's fun sneaking around watching the other squads take each other down but at the end your screwed unless the other squad has one player.

I tried this one today and to my huge surprise actually enjoy hell out of it, despite being quite bad at doing... anything with my character so far lol.
Game runs like butter, PC controls are very good and shooting feels just sweet. Surprise, surprise! [up]

My only gripe is that there is no (to my understanding) a "testing grounds" where new players can try out different heroes to see what does what. Learning abilities in actual game actually hurts team possibilities imo.

Last edited:
My only gripe is that there is no (to my understanding) a "testing grounds" where new players can try out different heroes to see what does what. Learning abilities in actual game actually hurts team possibilities imo.

Yes, I believe teams can fall apart after only one round, if the expectation is that everybody knows what they are doing, but they lose because not everyone knows all the tricks. Some people take wins/losses more serious than others. I guess a training mode would convince me to try it out.

Yeah. As a noob, I usually feel really bad for the team. If I were playing with friends, we could make fun of it, but with randoms it's incredibly frustrating when you're dragging heels. :(

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I tried this one today and to my huge surprise actually enjoy hell out of it, despite being quite bad at doing... anything with my character so far lol.
Game runs like butter, PC controls are very good and shooting feels just sweet. Surprise, surprise! [up]

Indeed, there is too much to take at start and the only way to learn is by "dying" a lot :D. I still barely have the most basic idea of the comparative differences between weapons and gear (I think the UI could do with a more intuitive way to tell you when something you are about to pick up is better or not and what it does) but at least I have a grasp of the basic mechanics and characters abilities, and can make some decisions based on map situation. Still die a lot :D

If someone wants to add me as friend to team up send me a pm. We can create a Discord channel.

Last edited:
Made top 2 squads twice with no teammates. It's fun sneaking around watching the other squads take each other down but at the end your screwed unless the other squad has one player.

If only the robot guy didn't spot me while I was enjoying the show between the last 2 squads.. Atleast I took him out. :)
[video=youtube;StsHwBEw7vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StsHwBEw7vg[/video]

Yeah, this is pretty overwhelming for someone who hasn't played BR before - it's action packed to the max and I for one spent the first few matches running around like a headless chicken not knowing what to focus on. So much to take in! But getting that experienced TM and getting carried to victory sure makes it worth it!

It would have helped if the training session would have also had a selection of attachments to learn what goes where. Getting to learn the weapons is something at least.

In any case it's good value for a FTP game. Still can't believe this is coming through Origin. :)

aQRzY98_700bwp.webp

Being an EA game i didn't want to touch it at all.

However, my son got it and is really into it.

After telling the guys on the SA forums that i didn't want to play with my son because its an EA game, they shamed me into considering it. They also pointed out i don't actually have to give EA any money at all to play it so... its kind of a plus.

So promised my son would download it this week and will play it.

Being an EA game i didn't want to touch it at all.

However, my son got it and is really into it.

After telling the guys on the SA forums that i didn't want to play with my son because its an EA game, they shamed me into considering it. They also pointed out i don't actually have to give EA any money at all to play it so... its kind of a plus.

So promised my son would download it this week and will play it.

I think you will have a good time with your son playing this as a team. The best way to enjoying Apex is to have a buddies and good communication during the match. Also the only micro - transactions are purely cosmetic, so biggest downside is to have to deal with awful Origin launcher. [haha]

Last edited:
Top Bottom