April 2019 update has broken VR experience.

Same station, same ship, same config for months now.
I play elite in VR with my CV1 between 2 at 3 hours a day and now since the new update the VR experience has become totally unplayable.
I tried to reset everything but even with the VR low config is a total garbage and unplayable.

It seems a lot of rift player experience the same issue on many forum.

EDIT : by deactivating FX graphic in the graphic option, seems to work not ideal but at least we can play.

Thanks to bring back the game in a playable state.

Last edited:
I complete agree. The update has made the game unplayable. To go from 90 FPS everywhere to barely 25 is unacceptable. The FX option has helped, but if instanced with 5 or more people/ NPC's it falls apart. I am hoping the patch happens soon. I am guessing testing is not something that happens with updates any more

yep, can confirm the same.
with my gtx960 and later the gtx970 i was able to play in ultra perfectly fine. some dips sometimes, but nothing major.
now after the update i get stuttering, freezes and horrible fps drops.
i cant manually dock at stations anymore because of that. as soon as i get near one, my performance drops down. mining in an ice belt though works just fine.
even after i manually disabled the fx thingy and reduced the overall settings to medium.

I have found Elite is now only playable for me at med settings,deceased draw distance, no super sampling and with shadow play turned off. I can now play with 7 other people without shuttering to a halt. From what i had read they were looking into the frame rate issue, but did not have a fix

I too am having issues with stutter and the egg timer appearing frequently since todays update (2.5.19), yesterday all I did to fix the issue was turn off my FX QUALITY but today with it on or off I'm getting so many frozen frames it's making the game unplayable, the freezes are only lasting fractions of a second but are frequent, it interrupts the flow of Voice Attack commands too. I am running a 2080TI card which if I have to reduce the settings to VR MED is a wasting a lot of money!

Hi Guys,
I have just updated my graphics card and played for about 10 minutes with no issues. Or they fixed it!
Thanks

UPDATE - It's not the graphics drivers! I've had a few days with it being OK and today (5.5.19) it's doing it again. VR is fine in other games so it must be ED where the problem lies.

Last edited:
It is ED. I left super sampling turned up (1.5), but dropped graphics settings to VR med in game rather than making adjustments using ED profiler and everything is running smooth. When i reset everything to high/ultra settings my GPU would run at 100%, even alone in open space. On med settings its running at 40%. I am on a Rift, so im not seeing much of a difference if any in graphic quality.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "unplayable" because I have my VR legs so low framerates are nothing more for me than annoying, but yeah the stuttering around stations has only happened since the April update, and I've had to drop the quality to try and help- this is with a 1080. Asteroid belts are fine for me, stations are definitely not.

It seems that is fine one time and not the next. I played for 3-4 hours last night (5.5.19) absolutely fine, all settings at their highest. Then this morning it's been stuttering again! I'm not getting any improvement no matter what graphics settings I change to, it still happens, see the video I've uploaded to Youtube . . .
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG00wJ4ApJE
I think you're right- this is intermittent. Some part of this might well be back-end where there are networking delays affecting the front-end delivery, manifesting as stuttering and slowdowns which the game client shows up more prominently in VR.

From a Ticket I have raised with FDev they say press RIGHT CTRL-NUM PAD 1 with the NUM LOCK ON to turn off something called ASW. I have tried this and it doesn't work for me but it might for others? I have gone back to them saying 'No good for me'. When they reply I'll update this thread. Currently in game now at 16.32 BST on 6.5.19 and I'm getting the issue all the time.

Hi Guys,

See if this 'fix' works for you . . .

One of the replies from Frontier Support suggested that I contact my internet provider (BT), however, before I did this I tried running the game connected through iPhone to the internet, I usually have an ethernet cable connected which goes from my PC into a 'transmitter' plugged into the mains power in the house, this then relays the signal to another transmitter downstairs which has another ethernet cable plugged in that which is then plugged into the back of our router, I get 42mb downloads with this set up. Anyway as I said I tried connecting through my phone and all worked perfectly (3G). I then tried a 10m ethernet cable I have and ran that from my PC direct to the router, again this worked perfectly. I then cleaned all my connections for my usual set up (the 'transmitter' system), I blew every connection using canned air and since then I have had no issues. Could it be a coincidence? There was a lot of dust on the transmitter devices and they hadn't been moved for a long time! Several days later all is still perfect.

Thanks

ISSUE FIXED - This, for me, has turned out to be BT. I now have their SuperFast BB which has a guaranteed speed and it also very stable, this also came with a DISC booster which now sits in my 'cockpit' room in the house and my PC now has a full fan of wifi as a result. This has cured the egg timer issue, stopped the stutter I was getting and has also resulted in not one single 'connection error' since it's installation 2 weeks ago. Happy bunny again!

Well I'd say that confirmed my guess earlier, networking. I think I've been playing in the past when Distant Worlds 2 has been going for example, and I reckon the servers are getting hammered and causing client-side delays. But for some people, latency on your own internet can cause it too, as we know you can't run the game long without a good connection. I've been playing today for example and didn't give the VR frame-rate a second thought, it was only when I noticed this thread had an update I looked here and thought about it!

Top Bottom