ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

Sensors are the stand-in for the computer.
Not really. The sensor arrays, and life support need to scale with the size of the ship whereas the Core slot for the Computer could be the same size and negligible mass on every vessel and it seems way more, dare I say it "realistic" to have something at least as capable as an iPhone running multiple apps considering it's well over 1000 years into the future. I can dig that limpet controllers are broadcasting but surely that job could be handled by the Computer sending a signal via the sensor array to free up a huge amount of space inside the ship.

Not really. The sensor arrays, and life support need to scale with the size of the ship whereas the Core slot for the Computer could be the same size and negligible mass on every vessel and it seems way more, dare I say it "realistic" to have something at least as capable as an iPhone running multiple apps considering it's well over 1000 years into the future. I can dig that limpet controllers are broadcasting but surely that job could be handled by the Computer sending a signal via the sensor array to free up a huge amount of space inside the ship.

Please see Book 2, Starships. :)

Then get Frontier to change it's mind.

A new slot? Sure.

But let’s do this. Call the new slot “Avionics Bay” and restrict it to modules that add functions to the flight computer. Give it two racks for now. As posted above, maybe move it to core internals.

In rack one, you can add a basic or advanced docking module.

In rack two, you can add the super cruise assist module.

Any combination or none at all, your choice.

This was my idea, but it will likely be too much work, it does add a computer core module:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...modules-is-too-damn-high.508351/#post-7727306

A new slot? Sure.

But let’s do this. Call the new slot “Avionics Bay” and restrict it to modules that add functions to the flight computer. Give it two racks for now. As posted above, maybe move it to core internals.

In rack one, you can add a basic or advanced docking module.

In rack two, you can add the super cruise assist module.

Any combination or none at all, your choice.

The thing with the core modules is that they are all essential for the ship to work. None of these new modules are essential so they don't fit in the core module category.

Restricting the modules that can be fitted in these new slots is something that has been done before, though that has been removed from the passenger ships.

Sorry, but I really don't support the idea that games need to exclude the majority of players through opaqueness or difficulty in order for the minority to feel special.
Friend you got it wrong the idea is for playets to get better not worse, better players better game. Now I wont complain that I am excluded from 100m olympics because I really cant run, not my thing, if ED or whatever else is too much for you do something else or improve yourself. Include all because of fashion politics and you get mediocre results, I dont want mediocre I want better, what about you ?

The thing with the core modules is that they are all essential for the ship to work. None of these new modules are essential so they don't fit in the core module category.

Restricting the modules that can be fitted in these new slots is something that has been done before, though that has been removed from the passenger ships.

Not disagreeing, but the Avionics Bay could be where the Flight Assist module is installed. An essential module for ship operations. The Avionics Bay in this case would also have empty racks for additional functions.

Don‘t make it too casual!!!!!!!!!
Elite Dangerous should not be everybodies darling. The level of difficulty has given you players tied to this really special game for years...
My hope was, that Frontier would finally give us a BGS and Powerplay in Open Game only...

If you really want to go this way - please think about the following:

1. Beginner Mode like you just announced
2. Open Play for everyone

...and get rid of the rest!

Cmdr BHARD99, Wing Commander 1GLoD
It was stated many times why Private Group and Solo modes MUST BE and those are not the "Sunday players unable to PVP" reasons. Open Mode uses ten times more data than Solo or even Private Group, what is a crucial thing for people on limited data budget. Plus, Open Mode can sometimes be so unplayable due to server lag which drops FPS way below comfortable levels.

There are people with internet that is below 10mbps and nowadays even 10mbps is considered as "necessary evil that is barely able to do multiplayer".

Last edited:
Will stated:
Existing Docking Computers won't be automatically upgraded, you'll need to head back to a Starport to pick up the new Advanced Docking Computer.
Does that mean the ADC will replace the old docking computer.? Or will it be an enhancement to the original, taking up an extra slot?

Please see Book 2, Starships. :)

Then get Frontier to change it's mind.
OMG, Traveller? How many times have you read this since 1977, before ultra primative home computers were a thing and how well do you recall the Computer Models table on page 13? None of these go over size 5, which seems kinda small compared to the drives and other equipment.

ED isn't quite the same as a 40 year old pencil and dice RPG, now is it...

Friend you got it wrong the idea is for playets to get better not worse, better players better game. Now I wont complain that I am excluded from 100m olympics because I really cant run, not my thing, if ED or whatever else is too much for you do something else or improve yourself. Include all because of fashion politics and you get mediocre results, I dont want mediocre I want better, what about you ?
This is all absolute nonsense though, the idea that the game needs to actively chase away players lest it be swamped with undesirables is pathetic. Also your fears that new players just won't learn how to dock are understandable but don't worry - thanks to the new modules, they won't have to learn.

Top Bottom